• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

BBC preparing to close 198 kHz longwave

As I recall the BBC broadcast from Okeechobee was around 4 PM my time (PDT).

And indeed the last evening BBC broadcast I remember hearing was the one targeted to the Caribbean from Ascension Island on 25 Meters in the late afternoon Pacific Time.

The last morning broadcast (Pacific Time) I remember hearing was from Singapore on 9740.

And the Roumoules station is the old Radio Monte Carlo, formerly on 1466 which was a full commercial station, doing Top 40 part of the day in French and part in Italian.
The other monster signal at Roumoules, namely the 216 kHz longwave outlet, has been off the air since 2020. It had been running 1400kw, but once ran 2000kw with two 1000kw transmitters in parallel. There was a third megawatt backup unit that could be combined with the other two to acheive 3000kw😵‍💫🤯but AFAIK that power level was never used.

Radio 4 mediumwave transmitters that will close are on 603, 720, 756, 774, 1449 and 1485 kHz.
Update: The BBC Radio 4 mediumwave outlets have now discontinued programming, and announcements are airing redirecting listeners to FM, DAB, and various online platforms. Interestingly no mention of the 198 kHz longwave service, which will probably shut down mid-2025.

Back
Top Bottom