• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Barney Miller reruns

My mother was an avid viewer of reruns of Barney Miller (back to back in the 8:00p ET hour) on Antenna TV - until this week when BM was moved to 11:00p and 11:30p ET and she can't stay up that late. (Oh, and she enjoyed BM in first run on ABC too.)

Tonight she asked me to find out if there anywhere else besides Antenna TV that airs Barney Miller? She's not interested in streaming I don't think.

I was a big "Barney Miller" fan as well, always wondered why it's not on Xumo, Pluto or any of the other streamers when shows like "The Addams Family" have 24/7 channels devoted to them.

Barney Miller was an extremely high quality show. The writing and cast were superb. Hal Linden and the rest of the actors were outstanding. It was more like Theatre as the show was almost always in the Police Squad room. I don't think MeTv airs it, but yes FETV does. Unfortunately some of the classic shows have fallen by the wayside in syndication. TV Land is very repetitive now...

Barney Miller was an extremely high quality show. The writing and cast were superb. Hal Linden and the rest of the actors were outstanding. It was more like Theatre as the show was almost always in the Police Squad room. I don't think MeTv airs it, but yes FETV does. Unfortunately some of the classic shows have fallen by the wayside in syndication. TV Land is very repetitive now...

And apparently DVD is the only way to see some of our classic favorites (even if the releases themselves are not always up to snuff, you should at least be able to see the show).

And apparently DVD is the only way to see some of our classic favorites (even if the releases themselves are not always up to snuff, you should at least be able to see the show).
Whoever owns "Barney Miller" now is not playing the cease-and-desist game with YouTube. Most episodes are available there, uncut.

Whoever owns "Barney Miller" now is not playing the cease-and-desist game with YouTube. Most episodes are available there, uncut.

Sony Pictures Television.

They've actually uploaded to YouTube, since at least last year, a bunch of episodes of several series they own, including Sanford & Son, Diff'rent Strokes, and some other classics.

Sony Pictures Television.

They've actually uploaded to YouTube, since at least last year, a bunch of episodes of several series they own, including Sanford & Son, Diff'rent Strokes, and some other classics.
I've seen those, but ordinary YouTubers are copying and posting those episodes as well, so I guess Sony doesn't think it's losing enough money to this pseudo-piracy to bother telling YouTube to shut down their accounts. I notice the same thing with Three Stooges shorts. For years, there was a limited, authorized number of shorts on YouTube. Now every one of them is there, in numerous users' names. I've seen YouTube compared to the Wild West numerous times, but this is a weird version of the Wild West -- one in which the sheriff can't be bothered to go after the bad guys much of the time.

I've seen those, but ordinary YouTubers are copying and posting those episodes as well, so I guess Sony doesn't think it's losing enough money to this pseudo-piracy to bother telling YouTube to shut down their accounts. I notice the same thing with Three Stooges shorts. For years, there was a limited, authorized number of shorts on YouTube. Now every one of them is there, in numerous users' names. I've seen YouTube compared to the Wild West numerous times, but this is a weird version of the Wild West -- one in which the sheriff can't be bothered to go after the bad guys much of the time.

You're right in terms of YouTubers uploading episodes of different series, whether it's from a rebroadcast or original airings. With Sony though, compared to the other major TV studios, they've certainly maximized the rerun value of the different series they own ever since the retro diginets first started popping up a decade or so ago. Sony has also licensed some of their shows to Shout Factory, which has also uploaded certain episodes of various classic series in recent years.

In the early years of Antenna TV, nearly their entire roster of shows came from the Sony library, with the D.L. Taffner stuff (Three's Company and its spinoffs & Too Close for Comfort) sprinkled in; it was until about 2014ish that they started adding shows from 20th Century Fox, Warner Brothers, and MCA/Universal TV. Take it further...Sony ends up launching a rival to Antenna and MeTV, in GetTV, and currently carry some of the popular reruns that were previously airing on Antenna, Me, and Cozi.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom