• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Barna-zation Of KSAZ

It appears the Giant 580 has become "colon blow hell"
on Saturday mornings. :eek:

I tuned in early for Dancin' Dan, which they finally got
right today--guess they got the transcription lathe
working again and were able to record a new show for
this weekend. (Does KSAZ use those big ol' lumbering
RCA turntables housed in the cabinet that goes all the
way to the floor?)

Oh, and they also got the 0700 ID track correct--where
it says 7:00 and not 6:00. ::)

Now for the bad news...I tuned in briefly to the Giant 580
several times later in the morning, in the 0700, 0900 and
1100 half-hours, and each time they were running some
sort of infomercial. Colon cleansing, colon blow cereal,
that sort of junk.

Geez Barna, I don't think Queen Creek will want you to have
them as a COL with thoughtful programming like this. ;)

Imagine how it is doing hours of show prep, lining up what you believe will be a great show only to hear Doctor Doody talking about his Morning Massive. These infomercials blow, No pun intended, surely AM radio can step back from all the bartering and find some decent local programming that can serve the interest of the community?

Hey, it's another Colon Blow Saturday on the Giant 580!

The whole 9:00 hour seems to have been turned over to
the schlockmeisters. Maybe Barna can charge a premium
on his half-hour/hour rate card since these infomercials
can be "heard all over Arizona." ::)

Didn't listen earlier beyond about 6:10 as Dancin' Dan's
Dead Air Disco had yet another transcription mixup, or
maybe their recording lathe broke down again, as the
show was a repeat of last weekend's exciting episode.

If you cue up these 16-inch platters enough, do they
get cue burn as bad as 45s? ;)

BTW, last weekend's Dancin' Dan show also aired again
this (Sunday) morning on the Giant 580.

Is this SOP now under Barnavision--one show plays for
two consecutive weekends?

I know for a fact that the repeat is Dan Babich's choice. Barna had the choice of taking the show off completely or just running the shows Dan does which is two a month. BIGGER news about KSAZ is that in a production studio in Phoenix I overheard new promo's, liners and Id's for KSAZ and they sound great BUT a whole different format than the one on the air now. Will KSAZ change format in May? When is the purchase of KSAZ going to take place? Has Barna gotten tired of Tucson already? Will they bale out of Tucson and walk away from KSAZ? Is KSAZ gearing up for a move into Phoenix to be resold? Can a AM radio station in Tucson program to be able to sustain financially a 3 million dollar purchase price? Do colon blow shows make money for a radio station? Do the infomercial companies actually sell product enough to pay for those shows? Is AM radio dead?

Is KSAZ gearing up for a move into Phoenix to be resold?

Better move those sticks a lot closer to Queen Creek as all the IBOC hash from KFWhyEye and Sports Parking Lot 6~Twenty really messes up the mighty 5~Eighty. Rmishot AMs...what a concept!

Is KSAZ gearing up for a move into Phoenix to be resold?

I would say that is a given. I believe Mikey has already done the deal and they are just waiting on FCC approval for AIM to take over KSAZ. Then get the FCC to approve the city of license to Queen Creek, next the daytime FCC approval for Queen Creek, then the FCC nighttime approval for Queen Creek and Finally the sale to some Broadcast company and they should take about a 12 million dollar profit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom