• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

B96-HD2 Full Time Dance Music!!

M

mario

This should certainly interest the people posting to THIS board. B96 has changed to full time dance music on their HD-2 channel. No commercials, no liners, just dance music 24 hours a day!

Ironic, they're losing ground on their main station and tied with Kiss who sunk even lower. Doesn't say much for either of them does it. Wow, how sad.

At the rate they're going the HD channel could wind up tied with their main station in months. La Kalle doing what it should be doing and there's no chance B96 will EVER get them back.

> This should certainly interest the people posting to THIS
> board. B96 has changed to full time dance music on their
> HD-2 channel. No commercials, no liners, just dance music
> 24 hours a day!
>

<font color=3333ff>Who didn't see this coming. Now if only people could hear it lol.
</font>

> Ironic, they're losing ground on their main station and tied
> with Kiss who sunk even lower. Doesn't say much for either
> of them does it. Wow, how sad.
>
> At the rate they're going the HD channel could wind up tied
> with their main station in months. La Kalle doing what it
> should be doing and there's no chance B96 will EVER get them
> back.
>
> > This should certainly interest the people posting to THIS
> > board. B96 has changed to full time dance music on their
> > HD-2 channel. No commercials, no liners, just dance music
>
> > 24 hours a day!
> >
>

cool...whats the business model?

where's the profit on this? A radio station with no commercials? who pays?

Re: cool...whats the business model?

> where's the profit on this? A radio station with no
> commercials? who pays?
>
Nobody. Probably because it doesn't cost much if anything to run. A computer and maybe a mixer/board at the most. They'll probably get some advertisers on it once HD takes off. WJMK HD-2 has VERY few advertisers (1-2 maybe?) at the present time.<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

> Nobody. Probably because it doesn't cost much if anything to
> run. A computer and maybe a mixer/board at the most. They'll
> probably get some advertisers on it once HD takes off.

How does a computer and a mixer/board running automated because they aren't paying anybody make for "good radio"?

> > Nobody. Probably because it doesn't cost much if anything
> to
> > run. A computer and maybe a mixer/board at the most.
> They'll
> > probably get some advertisers on it once HD takes off.
>
>
> How does a computer and a mixer/board running automated
> because they aren't paying anybody make for "good radio"?
>
Its all about the music. Filling a void without having to put much money into it for now. And who knows, once HD Radio takes off (If it ever does) they may have an actual airstaff and it may wind up being "good radio"P ID="signature">______________

</P>

I guess you could ask "Jack" how that is

> to
> They'll
>
>
>

I dont have a crystal ball, but at some point B96 will start trending up again. Once the buzz is gone people will come back to the heritage station. It happens more often than not.

I think one of the problems is that Chicago has too much hip hop/ rap. Seriously,

WGCI
WVAZ
WBBM-FM
WKSC
WPWX
WVIV/WVIX
WSRB

All competing for some of the same people. B96 would be wise to lean in a different direction, like WKTU or WNEW in New York. Get the hispanic females who like hip hop and watered down dance instead of the hispanic females who like hip hop and regaetone. Something like that would also speak more to their heritage.

> Ironic, they're losing ground on their main station and tied
> with Kiss who sunk even lower. Doesn't say much for either
> of them does it. Wow, how sad.
>
> At the rate they're going the HD channel could wind up tied
> with their main station in months. La Kalle doing what it
> should be doing and there's no chance B96 will EVER get them
> back.
>
> > This should certainly interest the people posting to THIS
> > board. B96 has changed to full time dance music on their
> > HD-2 channel. No commercials, no liners, just dance music
>
> > 24 hours a day!
> >
>
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by jgl 236 on 12/14/05 06:57 AM.</FONT></P>

Yes, sometime down the line they will.

They will never get the Hispanics they lost back with the format they have now. L Kalle services it's P1's unlike any other station can so those people are made nice and comfortable where they're at. It's time for a game plan change, a crew change, a direction change and format change at B96. Whether corporate will let the station do what it needs to do remains to be seen.

I'm sorry did I miss something? V103, Kiss FM and WSRB are hip/hop rap stations?
How do you even use those words with those stations. There's not even a PERCEPTION that they're formatted like that. I guess WXRT and Rebel Radio are the same too. Sounds like something a consultant or Harvey Wells would say. Nothing like being out of touch with reality and where we're heading into 2006 would say. People who refuse to believe the world is round still trying to persuade us it's square. Even when wrong they'll still try and get people to see it their way and THEY'RE the reason stations languishing at a .5 claiming that it's good; stations that fell to a 2.9 from a 4.1 scatching their head wondering where have all the cowboys (hispanics) gone.

The problem is simple. B96 lost Hispanics, Hispanics held up the station, B96 tried to play the urban game and got clobbered. B96 has been falling apart for over 5 books now. It's not a myth, they're in trouble and their numbers haven't been this low since Joe Bohannon was doing evenings and took over the MD position (literally). Hip Hop is no longer the coolest thing on earth, it's just another mainstream format in area that let colored folks drink from the same water fountain. It's just another MAINSTREAM music barring those emersed in hip hop for the culture sake (Talib etc)

While I'll agree that Kiss, B96, Power and WGCI are stomping all over each other in repitition. Power and GCI are deeper in urban, GCI servics it's P1s far better than Power and that's part of the reason Power's in the gutter. B96 lost a big chunk of who they were servicing and alienated many others hence their decline. Kiss is just pathetic, it is what it is, a robot playing 20 songs hence their ratings. It serves a purpose but it's not serving many.

Kiss and B96 are not really in a fight, B96 is no longer winning by default due to La Kalle and coming down, No one is "discovering" Kiss, in fact, they're not doing much of anything with Kiss, Kiss is just languishing and it was B96's game to lose, not Kiss' to win. As I said before, Todd's never really had competiton, the direction the station took years ago has it pinned in a corner right now and the only way out it to play dance, their salvation will be whitening it up with their heritage tracks from the past and playing commercial dance sprinkled in. While it may adjust their target demo a bit, the 18-34 year olds hold no respect for radio anymore and it's not going to get better if they keep running it into a brick wall. They'll jar loose some of th fems over at The Mix and Lite by pulling back the ghetto, let GCI pounce on Power for that.

Please know what formats are on which stations before you make any more comments like you did V, Soul and Kiss being "hip hop/rap stations. Jeez

> not.
>
> I think one of the problems is that Chicago has too much hip
> hop/ rap. Seriously,
>
> WGCI
> WVAZ
> WBBM-FM
> WKSC
> WPWX
> WVIV/WVIX
> WSRB
>
> All competing for some of the same people. B96 would be wise
> to lean in a different direction, like WKTU or WNEW in New
> York. Get the hispanic females who like hip hop and watered
> down dance instead of the hispanic females who like hip hop
> and regaetone. Something like that would also speak more to
> their heritage.
>
>
>
>
> > Ironic, they're losing ground on their main station and
> tied
> > with Kiss who sunk even lower. Doesn't say much for either
>
> > of them does it. Wow, how sad.
> >
> > At the rate they're going the HD channel could wind up
> tied
> > with their main station in months. La Kalle doing what it
> > should be doing and there's no chance B96 will EVER get
> them
> > back.
> >
> > > This should certainly interest the people posting to
> THIS
> > > board. B96 has changed to full time dance music on
> their
> > > HD-2 channel. No commercials, no liners, just dance
> music
> >
> > > 24 hours a day!
> > >
> >
>

> Its all about the music. Filling a void without having to
> put much money into it for now. And who knows, once HD Radio
> takes off (If it ever does) they may have an actual airstaff
> and it may wind up being "good radio"

My take on it that its just to sell HD Radios (once someone can find
'em). Once HD radio penetration reaches a good level, look for this
to change. I can't see any broadcaster offering commercial-free
alternatives forever. There's no money in it and it siphons listeners
from their primary signals that carry ads.

> where's the profit on this? A radio station with no
> commercials? who pays?
>

This is a chicken and egg situation..... You need station before people will buy radios, so at this point in time it is all "practice" until more radios get here. Think of it like FM radio in the 60's/70's. Now look at where FM radio is compared to AM.

> to
> They'll
>
>
>

This isnt supposed to be good radio yet. What did FMs in the 60s/70s play? They simulcast the AMs or had some off shoot format. This may be a good chance for a creative format to hit.

Once receivers hit the shores, we will see the programming get better.

> Once receivers hit the shores, we will see the programming
> get better.
>
Yeah if the PRICE ever comes down. Ain't no one gonna pay more for a stupid HD radio than an Ipod.

> > Once receivers hit the shores, we will see the programming
>
> > get better.
> >
> Yeah if the PRICE ever comes down. Ain't no one gonna pay
> more for a stupid HD radio than an Ipod.
>

I guess you dont know your history to well....

How much as a CD player when they first came out? How about a DVD player? How about a Plasma screen? See the trend?

> > > Once receivers hit the shores, we will see the
> > > programming get better

> > Yeah if the PRICE ever comes down. Ain't no one gonna pay
> > more for a stupid HD radio than an Ipod.

> I guess you dont know your history to well....
>
> How much as a CD player when they first came out? How about
> a DVD player? How about a Plasma screen? See the trend?
>
Yes Mr. Dog. But the difference is there was a DEMAND for CD players, DVD players and Plasma Screens. No one outside of radio gives a rats tail about HD. And until they do, or the industry creates a demand, your HD prices aren't gonna fall that much.

Oh by the way, it's nice to have you on the forum to instruct us on our history.

I want to clarify a few things and ask a couple of questions for the group.

I totally agree with the changes B 96 should make. Should have been done years ago. It has been a stale product for some time. I used to be an avid listener now I hardly listen to them. I am sure many in their mid 20s or older feel the same way.

> I'm sorry did I miss something? V103, Kiss FM and WSRB are
> hip/hop rap stations?

I think I understand what JGL meant. V 103, Kiss FM, and WSRB air some hip hop as part of their format. V 103 has aired Kanye West "Gold Digger" in regular rotation. Kanye West may be the biggest new artist of the year overall! Kiss FM leans heavier on hip-hop and R&B than your typical Mainstream station, and WSRB airs a Hispanic reggaeton format which some consider a byproduct of hip-hop because many hip-hop artists (Lil' Jon) appear on those records.

> Hip Hop is no longer the coolest thing on earth, it's just another
> mainstream format in area that let colored folks drink from
> the same water fountain.

MusicloverII, can you please elaborate on this comment? This sounds like an out of touch 2005/2006 comment. Remember the suburbs listens and buys more Hip-Hop CD's than people from the city. Caucasians listen to just as much or more hip-hop than African-Americans. It is why 50 Cent is so huge today and other similar artists. Kanye West is a hip-hop artist and has gotten rave reviews for his style attracting a broader and diverse audience.

If you get a chance, take a listen to a major Hip-hop station in Vegas (Hot 97-5 http://www.kvegas.com). I was there last week and all kinds of backgrounds were calling in. Just be careful because people can percieve this comment the wrong way.

I whole heartly agree on everything you said about Kiss. The station and the company that runs them is not very bright. If they actually thought about programming that station more locally for Chicago and try to understand its market, it could be having high numbers and beating B 96 2 to 1 now. In fact they could call B 96's bluff and start airing more current dance and heritage dance. Hey, but that would be thinking too much for them though! lol.

Good discussion!! Hopefully others can offer their insight.

V103, Soul, and Kiss may not be rap or hip hop stations, but they play some of the the same music. I never said they were. I said that they were competing for the same people.

Look at it this way, a 30 year old woman who listens to more than one station could listen to any of the above. Because there is a lot of overlap it is conceivable to listen to V, then Kiss. For example, they all play Mariah carey and Kanye West.

Also, considering target demos, B96, GCI, Kiss, Power all 18-34F. Soul, V103 25-54 F. So, overlaping in 25-34 Female. Those are big numbers, especially considering ad revenue.

Bottom line, there are just too many stations competing for the people in that demo.

What is making VIV/VIX successful is that they found a niche in that demo that was underserved. Young music listeners today are picky and are going to jump on a niche station. That, in my oppinion, is where B96 is going wrong, its trying to serve everybody, which is going to keep draging it down.

If B96 is going be successful, it needs to lean somewhere else, somewhere underserved, and stop trying to be the station for the inner city middle aged hispanic females and the suburban teenagers.

You can't program a station with Gwen Stefani, NORE, and Kelly Clarkson back to back and expect people to listen for longer than a quarter hour. People will flip as soon as a song comes on that they dont like. Pick one, and go from there. (and last I checked B96's average listener time was 22 mins)

> Please know what formats are on which stations before you
> make any more comments like you did V, Soul and Kiss being
> "hip hop/rap stations. Jeez
>
> > not.
> >
> > I think one of the problems is that Chicago has too much
> hip
> > hop/ rap. Seriously,
> >
> > WGCI
> > WVAZ
> > WBBM-FM
> > WKSC
> > WPWX
> > WVIV/WVIX
> > WSRB
> >
> > All competing for some of the same people. B96 would be
> wise
> > to lean in a different direction, like WKTU or WNEW in New
>
> > York. Get the hispanic females who like hip hop and
> watered
> > down dance instead of the hispanic females who like hip
> hop
> > and regaetone. Something like that would also speak more
> to
> > their heritage.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > Ironic, they're losing ground on their main station and
> > tied
> > > with Kiss who sunk even lower. Doesn't say much for
> either
> >
> > > of them does it. Wow, how sad.
> > >
> > > At the rate they're going the HD channel could wind up
> > tied
> > > with their main station in months. La Kalle doing what
> it
> > > should be doing and there's no chance B96 will EVER get
> > them
> > > back.
> > >
> > > > This should certainly interest the people posting to
> > THIS
> > > > board. B96 has changed to full time dance music on
> > their
> > > > HD-2 channel. No commercials, no liners, just dance
> > music
> > >
> > > > 24 hours a day!
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

> Yes Mr. Dog. But the difference is there was a DEMAND for
> CD players, DVD players and Plasma Screens. No one outside
> of radio gives a rats tail about HD. And until they do, or
> the industry creates a demand, your HD prices aren't gonna
> fall that much.

You also might not see any demand until automakers like Toyota, GM, Ford, Honda, and similar non-luxury car brands start offering them with their cars.

-A<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

Re: B96-HD2 So is it webcasting?

<font color=3333ff>Any other way to hear it besides having a HD radio? Pretty senseless to be playing on a channel no one can hear.
</font>

> This should certainly interest the people posting to THIS
> board. B96 has changed to full time dance music on their
> HD-2 channel. No commercials, no liners, just dance music
> 24 hours a day!
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom