• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

B102 IN THE BLACK HILLS

NODAKER

Inactive
Inactive User
THERE'S A NEW "OLDIES" STATION THAT HAS SIGNED ON IN RAPID CITY - IT'S CALLED B102 "GREATEST HITS OF ALL TIME". HAVE TRAVELED DOWN THAT WAY A FEWS TIMES IN THE PAST COUPLE OF WEEKS AND IT SOUNDS PRETTY GOOD. HAD BUSINESS IN SPEARFISH AND BELLE FOURCHE AND HAVE SPOKE TO SOME FOLKS ABOUT IT - SEEMS LIKE IT'S BEING WELL RECEIVED AS SOMETHING FRESH AND NEW IN THE AREA.

GUESS WE'LL SEE.

SUPPOSEDLY THESE GUYS HAVE ANOTHER FM TO PUT ON IN THE FUTURE, ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THAT WILL BE? ALSO SOMEONE BACK HOME SAID THAT THEY ALSO AQUIRED AN AM, WHICH ONE?

NODAKER

The other FM they are working on is 99.5, KRKI licensed to Newcastle, WY. They'll have great Rapid City coverage, thanks to a booster. All the rumors I've heard is that it will be a CHR/Pop or CHR/Rhythmic format.

They've also signed an LMA with the new owners of KIMM AM 1150. I haven't heard if a format change being planned or not.

Nodaker - thanks for the heads up. Sounds local and live this morning. As an old fart I like what I have heard so far.

ISN'T THERE ALREADY A CHR IN THE HILLS? PUTTING ON A SECOND IN A MARKET THAT SMALL DOESN'T SEEM TO MAKE A LOT OF SENSE.
IS THERE A HOLE TO GO UP AGAINST AN EXISTING STATION? WONDER WHAT REASONING IS.

WHAT IS THE AM'S FORMAT NOW?
I THINK I READ ON THIS BOARD SOMEWHERE ABOUT RC NOT HAVING A LOCAL AM OR LOCAL TALK STATION. COULD THEY POSSIBLY GO THAT WAY WITH THE AM?

I'LL BE HEADING DOWN THAT WAY AGAIN SHORTLY - I'LL LISTEN A LITTLE MORE AND SEE HOW IT'S SOUNDING. I WILL SAY THIS THOUGH, IT IS NICE TO HEAR A NON-SATELLITE STATION WITH THAT FORMAT.

heheh. The board bleep my orignial spelling of old phart.

AM 1150 is satellite classic country.
KTOQ-AM 1340 is all satellite talk.
KKLS-AM 920 is allegedly live from 6am to 9am and satellite oldies the other 21 hours.
KOTA-AM 1380 is live from 6am to 10am and 4pm to 5:30pm with news/info but no local call in shows. The rest of KOTA is Rush, Sean, Ed Schultz, Dr. Laura and AM Coast to Coast. Weekends are all satelllite.

Lots and lots of voice tracking on the FM's.

This B102 is pretty interesting to me. They just played "Life's Been Good" by Joe Walsh. Nice to hear some classic rock mixed in. The morning host appears to be live. He's giving the current time with the current teamperature. But these days with computer delivery he could be in Cheyenne WY. At least I appreciate the gesture.

No commercials yet.

I logged their songs from about 8:30 to 10am. It's not the same old 300 songs that an oldies station typically burns out.

Spanky & Our Gang - Sunday will never be the same
Sam Cooke - Having a party
live read of PSA for Rapid City diabetes screening
B102 Local Weather with current conditions
Chicago - Feeling stronger everyday
Peaches and Herb - Reunited
Manfred Mann - Mighty quinn
B102 Sweeper
Classics IV - Stormy
Eagles - The Long Run (dj talkover)
9am - Top of Hour sweeper with legal id
Fifth Dimension - Aquarius-Let The Sunshine In
B102 sweeper greatest hits of all time
Beach Boys - Help Me Rhonda
Beatles - Day Tripper
B102 sweeper
Assocation - Windy
B102 Sweeper
Steam - Kiss Him Goodbye
DJ intro
George Benson - On Broadway
B102 local weather with current conditions
J. Frank Wilson - Last Kiss (heh - jock said J Frank Williams)
Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl
B102 sweeper
Linda Ronstadt - Ooh Baby Baby
jock intro of
Loving Spoonful - Do You Believe in Magic
B102 Sweeper
Barry Manilow - Copacabana
Rascals - Good Lovin'
B102 local weather and current conditions
Chuck Berry - Sweet Little Sixteen
Supremes - Baby Love
Zager & Evans - In The Year 2525
Al Green - Tired of Being Alone
B102 Sweeper
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Up around the Bend
Guess Who - Laughing
B102 Sweeper - greatest hits of all time
Fleetwood Mac - You Make Loving Fun
B102 - top of hour legal id sweeper
Aretha Franklin - Think

NODAKER said:
ISN'T THERE ALREADY A CHR IN THE HILLS? PUTTING ON A SECOND IN A MARKET THAT SMALL DOESN'T SEEM TO MAKE A LOT OF SENSE.

Yeah, I'd say there is. Hot 93.1 is typically in the top 3 12+. Heck, we've got 3 FM country stations, 2 oldies stations, and 3 classic rock/classic hits stations. There's nothing wrong with duplication of formats. As long as the new CHR does it better than Hot, they can take audience away.

NICE UPDATE JIMBO - SO HOW'S IT SOUND AFTER LISTENING TO IT FOR A WHILE?

LET ME KNOW IF I SHOULD TUNE IT IN NEXT WEEK.

Any chance you've listened to the 7P - Mid jock, he's actually very fresh. New perspective for the Rapid City area, sounds somewhat large market.

Just an interesting perspective for an oldies format. I do like it.

I like what B102 is doing. The jocks are making an effort to sound live and local during the day. I suspect that the 7p to 12mid jock, "Crispy Cool?", is voicetracked since he does not give timechecks or current temp in his weather info. I suspect the weekends are voicetracked. The morning guy was not giving the same time and temp he was giving Friday morning.

During the 5pm hour Friday B102 played the long version of Sky Pilot by Eric Burden. I just about fell out of my chair. I hadn't heard that song on terrestrial radio in years! The jock gave a nice history of the song including a story how the inclusion of the bagpipes caused a flap in the UK at the time. Really great stuff. The afternoon jock made a big effort to localize with mentions of some recent changes to the turf at one of the high school football fields. So if B102 is phoning in the jocks they are doing it well. In fact I heard the afternoon jock start the same song twice in a row. He dumped the second start after 5 seconds or so and went to another. I doubt automation would do that.

They are really playng the variety. From the 50's to the late 70's. They aren't following the typical oldies station format. I haven't heard the word "oldie" once, it is always "the greatest hits of all time". And they don't mind playing what you typically would only hear on a classic rock station. Suzie Q by CCR. Smoke on the Water. Sam Cooke, Everly Brothers, Chuck Berry. And you have Sugar Sugar and Tie a Yellow Ribbon and Blue Swede's Hooked On A Feeling. Every hour I heard included a live tag "the B stands for Beatles" and into a Beatles tune. They play it all. As I type this at 11:04a Saturday it's Secret Agent Man and oh, there it is, "B for Beatles", Hey Jude.

My only nitpick is they played the 2:50 edit of Light My Fire.

No commercials yet. So far it's been an impressive debut for a Rapid City station. I was totally wrong in predicting automation or satellite.

Like you Jimbo I find this interest - traveled through and staying in Bell tonight. I have been listening and you're right it's not your typical "oldies" mix or format and I'm enjoying it. What I really find interesting is that I haven't heard any jocks or commercials at all today(sunday). Has it always been like that. Guess I would prefer to hear some jock talk, at least a weather forecast, but that's just me. You sure that they are not "piping" in the jocks?
I'm heading out west in the morning, curious to know how far the signal reaches.

Hi Nodaker - on Saturday I heard voicetracking. On Sunday I did not have a chance to listen. It's interesting how voicetracking has turned me so cynical that I assume the jocks are not live and local. The assumption I make now is that all stations are voicetracked or automated in some fashion and radio stations are about as interesting as a TV network affiliate.

When something like this B102 comes along my interest is ressurected. To their credit they are certainly ranging far and wide with their playlist. That's the really fun part.

The fact that B102 does not promote live and local makes me think it's piped in from San Antonio. Laramie Mountain Broadcasting, a division of Clear Channel? ;D

Maybe someone from LMB can chime in.

From what I can tell, there are live jocks and maybe some vt at night and weekends. They had the mayor of Rapid City on today during the 7am hour, calling it Monday morning with the mayor. Nice touch. The mayor talked about things going on in the city and did the Pledge of Allegience at 7:30! That's something I haven't heard in a long time, getting local officials to participate.

Music selection is different from a typical oldies station. They have gone deeper than most oldies stations, they seem to have a pretty big list. Still have some cockpit errors, but all in all, they sound good.

They're NOT owned by Clear Channel. Live and local. Just getting some of the bugs out of their system. Completely normal for a new station. I helped put 3 new FMs on in Kansas and despite careful planning, we had startup issues with all of them. It happens.

The PD is Bobby Rock. He knows the market and the format inside and out. This one will be a winner. Guaranteed.

Passed back through from a trip down to Denver and I must admit I really enjoyed B102, kinda wish we had something like this back up north. Most of the "oldies" station are off the bird.
Morning show is live, JD and the Breakfast club, talked about all sorts of local issues and real time and temp. i even heard the Rapid City Mayor on. I suspect some VT'ing though as most station utilize that these days but that's ok as long as it's not all done that way. I remember the days of having a full staff with all dayparts covered, think of the expense compared to today. I miss radio at times, especially with all the traveling I do but everyone moves on. I hope this station is successful and from what I've heard I think it might be as long as they stay focused on what radio was meant to be...a service to the local community.

Does anyone know if they're streaming or have a website?
I'd listen to this while I'm at home or on the road for that matter.

Its my understanding that Chris B Cool is voice tracked in the evening, although he does a decent job sounding live and local, I believe that he will go live in time.

Spoke to a friend of mine who knows him from a local advertising agency, says he was in radio in several other markets and now does a TON of production for big stations.

I like the overall sound of B102 it really isn't the normal oldies format, which is what makes the station unique. Really interested in seeing what they do with the other FM if they indeed have frequency.

markdavidson said:
Its my understanding that Chris B Cool is voice tracked in the evening, although he does a decent job sounding live and local, I believe that he will go live in time.

Spoke to a friend of mine who knows him from a local advertising agency, says he was in radio in several other markets and now does a TON of production for big stations.

I like the overall sound of B102 it really isn't the normal oldies format, which is what makes the station unique. Really interested in seeing what they do with the other FM if they indeed have frequency.

The other frequency is 99.5. An upgrade/move-in from Newcastle, WY. Currently under construction.

Hey Jimbo - been checkin the board to see what's been going on with B102 but it's been pretty quiet. Have they kept it up with the no commercials thing or has it become your basic "oldies" station? It's gonna be awhile before I get back down that way but would like to know if they ever start streaming...all be good.

Hi Nodaker - no commercials yet. No word on a web site or internet streaming. They are still playing that wide open variety. It's just amazing how they have blown up the tradtional 300 song playlist that you typically hear on an oldies station. The other thing I like is that the word "oldies" is never used, it's always "the greatest hits of all time", The local diner I visit has stopping playing Q92.3 in favor of B102. The owner of the diner, by no means a radio geek, was impressed the station was giving the time and current conditions on Saturday. That tells you the sorry state of radio in Rapid City, just being live and local will wow the listeners.

It's so apparent when you hear KKLS doing their weather "sunny with a high 68". No time checks, no current conditions. Adios KKLS.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom