• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Audition vs. Sound Forge

IgorRadio

Inactive
Inactive User
I would like to start using Adobe Audition more often because it seems to be the editing program that most stations are going with. I hesitate because there is an effect called "Wave Hammer" in Sound Forge that I like to use on my voice. My question is, Does Audition have an effect excactly the same as Sound Forge's Wave Hammer?

Also, I don't like the way Audition zooms in. In Sound Forge and Vegas, with the mouse scroll wheel you can zoom in/out wherever you single click. Audition doesn't seem to work with the mouse's scroll wheel, and when I click the zoom icon, it doesn't zoom to the curser, but to the middle of the entire file. I hate searching for the spot I wanted after it zooms 2 minutes away from were I wanted to look. Is there a setting I don't know about that will fullfill my zooming needs??<P ID="signature">______________
Igor
www.IgorRadio.com</P>

> Also, I don't like the way Audition zooms in. In Sound
> Forge and Vegas, with the mouse scroll wheel you can zoom
> in/out wherever you single click. Audition doesn't seem to
> work with the mouse's scroll wheel, and when I click the
> zoom icon, it doesn't zoom to the curser, but to the middle
> of the entire file. I hate searching for the spot I wanted
> after it zooms 2 minutes away from were I wanted to look.
> Is there a setting I don't know about that will fullfill my
> zooming needs??

There are eight different zoom functions available in Audition, in both the single waveform view and the session view.

Zoom In/Out Horizontally buttons - zoom in/out on the center of the visible waveform window or session.

Zoom In/Out Vertically buttons - increase/decrease the vertical scale resolution of a waveform's amplitude display (in Edit View) or increase/decrease the number of viewed tracks in the session display (in Multitrack View).

Zoom To Selection button - zoom in on the highlighted portion of the waveform or session. (If a range isn't highlighted, it zooms to the cursor.)

Zoom In To Left/Right Edge Of Selection button - zoom in on the left/right boundary of the highlighted portion of the waveform or session. (If a range isn't highlighted, it zooms to the cursor.)

Zoom Out Full Both Axis button - zoom out to display the entire waveform or session.

In addition, you can zoom in on any portion of a waveform or session by highlighting a portion of the vertical/horizontal rulers, and you can use the scroll wheel on your mouse to zoom in and out by placing it on any of the scroll bars or rulers on the screen.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the help. I probably will get the hang of it the more I play around. I just don't like the way the mouse scroll wheel works in multi-track view. Instead of zooming, it scrolls down to show the other tracks. I also don't like how the audio stops playing when the curser gets to the end of the right side of the screen when you play the audio by hitting the space button. In Sound Forge and Vegas, the screen keeps up with the curser and the audio continues playing all the way through. I'm using Audition version 1.0 by the way, so maybe later versions work differently. Does anyone else like using Sonic Foundry/Sony stuff?<P ID="signature">______________
Igor
www.IgorRadio.com</P>

> I also don't like
> how the audio stops playing when the curser gets to the end
> of the right side of the screen when you play the audio by
> hitting the space button. In Sound Forge and Vegas, the
> screen keeps up with the curser and the audio continues
> playing all the way through.

You may notice that there are two play buttons on your screen. The one farther to the left is "Play from Cursor to End of View", and the other one (with a circle around the symbol) is "Play from Cursor to End of File". When you start up the program, the space bar defaults to using "Play from Cursor to End of View", but once you select the "Play from Cursor to End of File" function with the mouse, the space bar will use that function instead. You can also use the mouse to select "Play Looped" mode (or back to "Play from Cursor to End of View" mode) to switch the operation of the space bar accordingly.

> Thanks for the help. I probably will get the hang of it the
> more I play around. I just don't like the way the mouse
> scroll wheel works in multi-track view. Instead of zooming,
> it scrolls down to show the other tracks. I also don't like
> playing all the way through. I'm using Audition version 1.0
> by the way, so maybe later versions work differently. Does
> anyone else like using Sonic Foundry/Sony stuff?
>

I prefer Sonic's Dynamic compressor(s) over AA. I'll use the WAVE HAMMER on a final mix from time to time. Joel Moss @ WEBN uses it as well. I use WAVES Q10 and REQ6 plugs for EQing. I mostly use AA for editing and mixing. If the project isn't too complex I'll mix in Sonic 4.0. Usually sounds better than AA.<P ID="signature">______________
Chuck Matthews Productions
www.KillerImaging.com</P>

> I would like to start using Adobe Audition more often
> because it seems to be the editing program that most
> stations are going with. I hesitate because there is an
> effect called "Wave Hammer" in Sound Forge that I like to
> use on my voice. My question is, Does Audition have an
> effect excactly the same as Sound Forge's Wave Hammer?
>
> zooming needs??
>
You most certianly can use the scroll wheel to zoom in audition. I do it all day long.

> Thanks for the help. I probably will get the hang of it the
> more I play around. I just don't like the way the mouse
> scroll wheel works in multi-track view. Instead of zooming,
> it scrolls down to show the other tracks. I also don't like
> playing all the way through. I'm using Audition version 1.0
> by the way, so maybe later versions work differently. Does
> anyone else like using Sonic Foundry/Sony stuff?
>

You can use the wheel to scroll in the multitrack. Put the mouse over the timeline below the multitrack at the point you want to zoom and scroll away!

I like Sound Forge, but I can't stand Vegas. I tried Sound Forge 8.0 recently and thought it was terrible, but I like all versions through 7.

Audition 1.5 works pretty much the same way, but you should download a demo and see if you like it better.

Don't forget. If you have Sound Forge installed on the same system as AA - You can use most of Sound Forges 'FX -via- Direct X in AA.

> I would like to start using Adobe Audition more often
> because it seems to be the editing program that most
> stations are going with. I hesitate because there is an
> effect called "Wave Hammer" in Sound Forge that I like to
> use on my voice. My question is, Does Audition have an
> effect excactly the same as Sound Forge's Wave Hammer?
>
> zooming needs??
>

I also like the MACKIE CONTROLLER UNIVERSAL to control levels, and for transport functions in Adobe Audition. You can assign all sorts of fun functions to the various function keys on the Mackie. You can also bring up the "MIXER" windo in a multitrack session and use the Mackie faders to mix with. Very sweet little interface, and from what I have been told the folks at Adobe are working on writing scripts to use the motorized faders on the Mackie, and save fader changes when a session is saved..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom