• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Audioguy's comments about Part 15 Radio

I think Part 15 radio operation is an awesome hobby! As a matter of fact, my expensive ham radio station is gathering dust, because I am having so much more fun with my low power AM transmitter than I ever did beeping away on the low end of 40 meters!

That said, in all honesty, what would someone with no exposure to Part 15 operation think if they happened on this message board and read all of the cantankerous exchanges that are posted here? Is all of that necessary? I would like to suggest that at a minimum, we treat each other with respect and avoid personal attacks. Of course, that does not mean we all have to agree on everything.

I personally don't think it's a good idea to "phone home" to the FCC constantly. If you want to operate a Part 15 station, use common sense. Follow the rules, avoid causing interference, don't make a nuisance of yourself, and make your signal exemplary in comparison to the commercial stations (that's not too hard these days, unfortunately)! But don't call up the FCC and ask them if they want to come over and inspect you. If they do, they will most likely look for a reason to make their trip worthwhile. :-[

I also don't think it's a good idea to contact the FCC all the time and ask for interpretations of their rules. All rules are subject to some degree of interpretation, and that's not a bad thing. Calling too much attention to the Part 15 rules invites additional scrutiny. Before you know it, the rules will be revised such that a legal Part 15 AM transmitter will go about as far as a Part 15 FM transmitter-- around 30 feet. Which I assume none of you would like to see (I know that I certainly wouldn't). And by the way, FCC staffers do indeed read these message boards, so it would be wise to keep that in mind.

Because of the very low power of a Part 15 AM transmitter, the potential for interference to other stations is extremely low. I doubt that very many notices of violation are triggered by an interference complaint. More likely, they are the result of an observation by a commercial radio engineer, who then brings it to the attention of the FCC. One of the problems we face is that many people, and especially commercial operators, view Part 15 operators as "pirates", whether or not they comply with the Part 15 rules. I think this is an image problem that we collectively need to work to overcome.

Although I suppose there are a few people who manage to operate their Part 15 stations as commercial operations, I would imagine that the vast majority do it for their own personal enjoyment, or to provide a public service to their friends and neighbors. The AM band is now extremely cluttered and full of interference, especially due to IBOC. Especially at night time, the enormous level of skywave interference on the high end of the AM band makes it very unlikely that a Part 15 station can provide any useful coverage in most parts of North America. That still doesn't mean that it isn't a lot of fun!

As a result of various policy decisions, a handful of giant corporations now control almost every kind of media in this country. No matter how you look at it, this cannot be a good thing. If, through Part 15 operation, we can provide even a small voice for other views or different kinds of programming, that is extremely valuable! But continuing to hammer the FCC with questions about technical issues regarding antennas, grounds, and "loading coils" could easily result in our tiny signals being silenced forever...

You are spot-on about not contacting the FCC. They neither recognize Part 15 operators as "broadcast stations" nor do they have any way to deal with them. Contacting them only proves to add something to their day they don't want or need to worry about. If you run a clean operation and abide by the rules you should be able to enjoy your hobby for years to come.

Unless you are causing interference to a licensed terrestrial station they don't want to deal with a Part 15 station. If you make it contact info well publicized on-air they will contact you if there is a situation that warrants, otherwise don't even bother them.

I was told some information by a now retired FCC agent but since he doesn't want to go on record officially he asked me not to mention some of the things we chatted about, but I can tell you that if you're clean and legal they don't care. There are a multitude of Part 15 devices and they don't have the time to pursue every little one unless it's causing interference. I read a notice on the FCC site about a mobile home owner being alerted that their antenna amplifier was causing interference (I forgot on what band of frequencies) but they located the interference and had the owner contact the manufacturer about a replacement unit.

Very well said Audio Guy,
That is a reason I like the engineering business, I have found that almost always, the folks in it are top notch, moral, well rounded people. I would like to avoid cantankerous exchanges myself, and move on to having fun.
It really is true, attention to the rules invites policy, and the FCC ALWAYS makes policy that is the most restrictive possible.

You know, sadly I have found that almost all complaints are driven by greed or jealousy.

The way it supposed to work is (Grandma can’t hear her Sunday program because some pirate is interfering with her program, so she finds out how to complain, after a lot of such complaints are files, the FCC looks into it).

How it happens is, Some big business station has it coverage interrupted (which is understandable) they look for pirates.

Or the worse ones are one group doesn’t like another group, so they turn them in, because they don’t like their politics, religion, or race.

I had a customer that was turned in once, three agents drove hundreds of miles. They were told there was a 1000watt + pirate operating (the person knew it was an legal part 15 I understand) They burnt up when they got there & found it was a legal Part 15, the customer is still running today, that was years ago.

Welcome, Audioguy! I enjoyed reading your post.

I'm a Part 15 station operator also, and many folks on the board already know me. I spent
roughly 24 years in the radio and media business (I spent 3 years in Florida State University's Media Relations Office). I spent all of these years in the same market, Tallahassee, as my family is here and I'm
pretty much a homebody.

When I saw the writing on the wall at my last full-time radio gig, I realized that there were no jobs
left in the business. Satellite feeds and syndicated shows were the norm..and for an older radio veteran
reading liner cards 2 or 3 times an hour was not going to keep me interested.

I launched WJJD in July of 2003, programming a mix of classic country and Christian programs that seemed to do well. this station was on 1160 and actually had great range on that frequency. I did have to operate as a daytimer, as there was so much interference at night that running the station was useless. Despite being
grounded, a Florida storm came through and fried most of the transmitter chain in the spring of 2005.

It took two years to save enough funds to buy a Rangemaster, which I use now, on 1610. Tropical Storm Fay
did a little damage to the ground system (not the TX itself) so my range is limited at the moment.

However, I also stream the station via Live365. I don't actively sell ads any more, but I will say that Clear Channel Radio bought time from me on 1160, for the Bill Gaither Homecoming Concert in 2004. I've never had problems with any other radio stations..heck, most of them know me already anyway. They've given me
parts, cart machines, records..I just try to be friends with everyone as much as possible.

On Sunday evenings I do a local program called the "Sunday Night Gospel Sing." It airs on 1610 and also
runs over the stream. I have weather, church announcements and such..I'm not even a huge southern gospel fan. I like it, but it's not my favorite..but this show is something I am really enjoying. I know at least a few people are listening since I get requests.

I like Part 15 because, until I started mine, I had stopped listening to the radio entirely, except maybe on long trips. I started the stream to have something to listen to while I was running the board for talk shows like Point of View, Michael Medved and Lester Roloff.

Financially, the station is in the red..might always be. It just helps scratch that itch that radio folks like me can't get rid of. And I know others enjoy it, whether it's via the Part 15 AM or the stream, because I get emails every week to that effect.

Here's the website (streaming link is at the top):

http://www.wjjd1160country.com

Cheers for Audioguy!

Asking too much (or really ANYTHING from the FCC) now is like inviting John Wayne Gacy to babysit your kids. The fact is we're struggling to provide news and entertainment for the (tiny) masses over a (supposedly) free medium that makes it possible to reach to people who internet-phobic (computers ain't the easiest thing to learn for an 80 year old or one who's scared one click of their mouse can erase the whole Internet. Even Windows Vista made me nervous at first.)

The fact is, broadcast radio as we know it is dying. Not because of the proliferation of internet and satellite radio (both were the by-products of the reaction AGAINST the Telecommunicatins Act of 1996.) The technology was there before then, granted, but if local terrestrial radio overall was doing such a good job in inclusive and local public service programming, would we ever have REALLY needed them like we do now?

And why are so many corporate broadcasters fumbling on the stock market now?

Fact is, it's time to own up that the whole radio end of Telecom '96 was bulls--t. Like a lot of the deregulation disasters of the '90s, signed in by (or overrode over) a lame duck president, were, simply put, absolute DISASTERS.

With fewer and fewer people listening to radio and opting out for iPods, internet and satellite radio, now more than ever, it is time to SERIOUSLY rethink the whole idea of radio deregulation. Besides, FM has HD. How many stations can they possibly run combined if no one is listening? Is it only why HD only had a paltry million buyers in a nation of 310+ million?

Like a favorite relative of mine once said "You NEVER take down a fence until you can understand the reason why it was put up there in the first place."

In other words, if foxes could talk, there would be fox lobbyists. And through the lobbyists would come deregulation, and after deregulation, no more barbed wire henhouses. And after no more barbed wire henhouses, no more chickens.

Fact is, that's where this country has gone. That's whats created everything from LPFM to Part 15 radio. People WANT, even DEMAND alternatives. And people have the right to them. Especially if they are FREE. Community radio gives that to them.

Period.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom