• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Audio from format flip at "WWSR/LIMA" to "WWSR/WFGF-LIMA" ...

blvd_pbj

Inactive
Inactive User
The audio for the FORMAT flip from WWSR-LIMA to WWSR/WFGF-LIMA is now live on MySpace page (address is in the signature at the end of this post).
It (the audio) will only be there for a limited time, so get it while you can!

Have a great rest of the weekend everybody...

Re: Audio from format flip at "WWSR/LIMA" to "WWSR/WFGF-LIMA" ...

Yo PBJ:

Give us the My Space link please so we can listen.

Format flips and call letter swaps ...where have we seen THIS movie before?

(CC Cincy comes to mind!)

Nice.

Unplug patch cable from WWSR automation/studio feed...fumble around in engineering room for patch to WFGF feed.

Yeah...well, you should have heard it at Midnight this past Sunday into Monday when they flipped 93.1 and 940-AM. WHAT A freakin' trainwreck!!! I'm not kidding. It made the 92.1 switch-over sound like a day at the beach.

It was horrific!

I actually ran out of tape recording the whole thing on both frequencies...after 90 minutes! So, that should tell you something...

Once again (much like the 92.1 switch-over), I kept it in the event anyone wants it. The problem is that the problems went on for so long when they flipped 93.1 and 940 that when I said I ran out of tape after 90 minutes, I wasn't kidding.

Oh yeah...Kirkiefan...the link to the 92.1 switchover is below in my signature, but if for whatever reason you can't read it due to your browser settings, here's the link to the audio from the switchover... (www.myspace.com/playboyj2005)

Joe-

I heard this thread was here, so I thought I would check it out before going on the air this morning. This will be the only post you ever read from me, so enjoy it while you can.

You can continue to slam the programming staff at Maverick as often as you like to, but here are the facts about your "relaunch".

-Nothing on these boards gets me mad when it applies to me. Then, I start reading crap that slanders a great engineer like Mark Gierhart. Now you've got my attention. Enough is enough.
-You were the only one in Lima that knew about any switchover coming at midnight on a Sunday night, because your dad works here. How many people do you think were listening?
-Did you ever think that this switchover was planned at midnight on a Sunday night for any particular reason? Maybe because Mark predicted that things would go as they did. Mark walked into this building not knowing how anything was wired. Dan Dietz had his own method, and to this date there are many unknowns. The switching you were hearing was Mark trying to figure out what went where. After planning this for 3 months, none of the wiring was as he predicted, so everything changed on the fly. Put yourself in his position. What would you have done? Maybe predict that there may be problems, so schedule this to happen midnight on a Sunday? hmmm...
-Since you work in the TV industry, I thought your colleagues may have shared with you that the actual launch was promoted to happen at 6am for the Fan and The Frog, and 7am for WCIT. Stephanie Davis of NBC Lima fame was at the press conference and came to the studio to get some video on Friday. I will have audio of the WCIT launch on my myspace site soon. http://myspace.com/philaustinradio

Bottom line, you were the only person in Lima listening because your dad told you when to listen. What you have recorded was not the launch. That happened yesterday morning when people were actually listening.

The only advice an old fat guy like me can give you if you care to listen is to think about the innocent people who are busting their ass in this industry that you throw under the bus when making posts like this. Mark is the most undeserving of shit like this in the entire universe.

I've always respected what you are capable of, but this does not sit well with me at all. When in doubt, just DON'T SAY IT. People will respect you more for that.

-Over and Out

Phil Austin
Program Director WDOH/WCIT
Mornings WCIT

Phil:

Good to hear from you, and I'm glad that you are back in the industry that you love after being out for as long as you have.

I'm going to work my way backwards/back and forth through your post, and work my way up to reply to what you had to say since there is a lot of ground to cover.

I'm glad you respect me and what I do, I truly do. I have about the same, if not more respect for what you do as well...but, DO NOT start in on me about me posting things like this when, if memory serves me right...you yourself (and other exclusive station staffers at that particular point) were on the air at "WILD 93.9/WLWD-LIMA" crosstown at more than one point (and on message boards as well) ripping Maverick Media, their programming, and their listeners (remember the things ripping Maverick that you as an OM in charge of an entire group of employees allowed on the air in regards to Justin Kase's sexuality and the "attention 1301 North Cable Road" liner and so forth on the WILD airwaves?)...
...now, you're singing all of their (Maverick's) collective praises.

So, if you're going to give me slack for posting what I did (and we're speaking of facts here), maybe you should really consider the old wives tale of "the pot calling the kettle black". Bottom Line Phil...stop being a hypocrite!

Now, as far at it goes with my TV colleagues informing me of the changes, I knew about two-and-a-half, to three months ago that these changes were going to take affect. In fact, I knew the day after the programming meeting was over that discussed it...a little bit before you were working in the building. I was informed about the changes and so forth by someone who was NOT my father (shooting down your theory)...and that's as far as I'll go with that.

From what I understood, the original plan was to have the changes happen around the Late April/Early May time period, and the only reason it didn't was because of a storm that came through and knocked out thousands of dollars of equipment. So, when the time finally came to launch these stations to their respective new programming and formats, Maverick basically "winged it". Not that I personally have anything against "winging it", but when it comes my professional belief in "winging it"...it's a big no-no...

...which leads me to what I'm going to say next.

Explain to me how an official launch could take place at 6 AM when a group/station chooses to change and flip the format(s) at midnight? ...it doesn't happen that way. When a format is flipped, it's flipped, and that's it. When a radio station(s) starts playing a new format of whatever it may be, that's when the official launch happens. A format doesn't flip at midnight, then officially go live with the "new format" at 6AM. That's completely backwards and asinine. When it flipped, it flipped. If it screwed up and didn't happen the way it was supposed to, then it screwed up and didn't happen the way it was supposed to. Accept it!

In regards to slandering engineers and so forth, I would like to challenge you to show me where I did this? ...because, I didn't do it. I never in any way, shape, or form, incinuated that Mark Gierhart had anything to do with the problems that happened, and I CHALLENGE YOU to show me where I said that...because, as I said before, I didn't.
Mark Gierhart is a (excuse my poor grammer here) HELL-UVA engineer. I have nothing bad and/or negative to say about him at all, and never had/have. Quite frankly, next to Fred Vobbe/Richards and Dan Dietz, Mark Gierhart is probably one of the smartest, most intelligent engineers that I have ever met. He knows his job, and knows how to accomplish what needs to be done.

Now, since it sounds to me like you want to try and spin what really happened to bow to the will and need of your corporate masters Phil, let's look at this from the "realistic" standpoint, OK?

Is it Mark Gierhart's fault that things happened the way they did? ...NO!
Is it Mark Gierhart's fault that Maverick Media management poorly planned a format change and left him (Mark) to fix their own faults?...NO!
Is it Mark Gierhart's fault that the mis/dis-organization of the changes that were to take affect happened live on the air for the entire market to hear?...NO!

Now, I would like to break down a quote of yours and analyze it...

"After planning this for 3 months, none of the wiring was as he predicted, so everything changed on the fly"

Is that Mark's fault that the format flip(s) was poorly planned and poorly executed?...no, it's not.

Who's fault is that...yours? ...NO, it's not.

So answer my question Phil, who's fault is it?
...think about it.

I never at anytime, or in any way, said that it was his (Mark's) fault, and I challenge you to show me where I said that!

Since you want to give advice to me Phil, I have some advice for you too.

Before you start accusing me of something that I didn't do and/or say, think before you speak/type. I may be married and tamed down now from what I used to be, but there is a big difference between when you knew me "then" (when we knew each other years ago), and the way I am "now"...there is a BIG difference.

I'll leave you to fill in the blanks yourself and come up with your own conclusions and assumptions as to what those differences may be! :=)

Stay up, be good, and be blessed...

As an outsider here, I will stick up for blvd_pbj in the regard that I never saw the engineer's name listed nor did it appear any blame went at him. I never would have known who he was had Phil not mentioned it.
And as for a rationale that midnight is OK because "you were the only person in Lima listening," no one in the media can ever assume that at a given time, there's no one listening, reading or watching.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom