• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Audemat FMB80 RDS Encoder Troubles

I should preface this by saying my expertise is more IT than RF. Currently I'm doing some work for a cluster of 6 stations that for lack of a better term have fallen on hard times. One of the FMs has an FMB80 in the rack that is leftover from when Clear Channel owned the cluster. The current owner is prepping for a format change and would like the get the RDS data working. When powered on it will generate the static PS text which no longer matches the current branding since the last format change 9 years ago. According to the tag on the unit it was assigned an IP address at some point but it is no longer connecting to the network. I can connect to the unit via the COM 0/1 port in HyperTerminal, but I can't send a command, the welcome message just keeps populating over and over again. I have tried the usual T/S steps like switching out cables, plugging into different switches/modems, powering cycling, different terminal emulators, etc. So far I'm out of ideas on what other steps to take, and was wondering if someone could possibly give me some guidance.

The unit is at least 20 years old, and I have to assume the reason it has been out of service for 9 years is the previous engineer/IT had issues connecting to it to update the settings.

I should preface this by saying my expertise is more IT than RF. Currently I'm doing some work for a cluster of 6 stations that for lack of a better term have fallen on hard times. One of the FMs has an FMB80 in the rack that is leftover from when Clear Channel owned the cluster. The current owner is prepping for a format change and would like the get the RDS data working. When powered on it will generate the static PS text which no longer matches the current branding since the last format change 9 years ago. According to the tag on the unit it was assigned an IP address at some point but it is no longer connecting to the network. I can connect to the unit via the COM 0/1 port in HyperTerminal, but I can't send a command, the welcome message just keeps populating over and over again. I have tried the usual T/S steps like switching out cables, plugging into different switches/modems, powering cycling, different terminal emulators, etc. So far I'm out of ideas on what other steps to take, and was wondering if someone could possibly give me some guidance.

The unit is at least 20 years old, and I have to assume the reason it has been out of service for 9 years is the previous engineer/IT had issues connecting to it to update the settings.
Audemat is now owned by Worldcast Systems: https://www.worldcastsystems.com/assets/file/manuels/AUDEMAT_RDS_Encoder_user_manual_v1-1_en.pdf

Even though a newer model, they didn't change the basic makeup of their RDS Encoders.

We had the same issue with that exact model, and the solution was to pull it out and replace it with a new DEVA encoder. Much more reliable, and supports RT+ for only a couple hundred bucks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom