• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Audacy Nearing Bankruptcy

Does anyone else think Audacy is the absolute worst major company in terms of stations? The others as a whole sound a lot better.

When was the last time you listened to WDAF?
WDAF seems good when I heard it and their classic hits are solid, but I have found their pop and alternative (though it has gotten slightly better) really bad over the last few years and that is mainly what I listen to.

Last edited:
KKHH and KHMX are starting to sound a lot similar to each other. And if you google KHMX is shows HOUSTONS POP MUSIC MIX 96.5.

Here I really like KKHH and Channel Q. I’m not a fan of iHeart.
When I make the occasional trip to Houston, more often than not, I find myself punching up "The Spot". Great variety of music, and Audacy doesn't let the playlist become stale. I find myself in an "oh wow" moment, from time to time, because they will play something I haven't personally heard since the selection was on the charts. Very similar to what is offered on KJKK. I am a faithful listener to Audacy's K-LUV and Jack-FM in DFW, and prefer KRLD when I am in search of today's latest news stories. Audacy has the better cluster, IMO, and a strong local leadership team.

They even program a succesful Spanish language format, something that iHeart could not replicate a few years back, on a more formidable signal. I really hate that the company, as a whole, is struggling, but as was the case with Cumulus, all signs point to them being able to turn it around.

Does anyone else think Audacy is the absolute worst major company in terms of stations? The others as a whole sound a lot better.
No. Based on operations, and not on debt service, Audacy is very profitable... net income before interest, taxes and depreciation/amortization they make well over $100 million a year.

And the true judge of a radio company is not programming or ratings or who plays the latest songs... it is whether they are profitable and sustainable.

Audacy recently turned off some of the HD2 stations in my area. Goes to show cost-cutting is popular in radio now.
It's "popular" everywhere, from Apple and Microsoft to consumer products companies; the recessionary trend, inflation and things like the Ukraine war have affected the US and world economies.

This is not just a radio thing, but, as always, in economic slowdowns and recession one of the first things to be cut is discretionary ad expenditures.

Who do you think is?
It’s matter of one’s interpretation. There are some large companies that are bad, there are some small companies (and even single station operators) that are bad. I would say, however, the majority of owners/operators are good stewards of their respective communities and audiences.

Short answer: it’s not Audacy.

Last edited:
In my opinion, there is no clear cut winner as to which major operator has the best or worst programmed stations. They all have a mix of strong performers, OK performers, and weak performers.

When looking at format ratings trends over the past couple years, an argument could be made iHM may be a bit more vulnerable than the rest. They have a lot of eggs in the CHR and hip-hop baskets. They have some heritage brands with truly underwhelming AQH shares right now. I never thought the day would come that G105 in Raleigh would only muster a 2.4 share. WHQC in nearby Charlotte is a total mess.

Howie Carr, who had a long history with ETM, several of those years were forced due to a contract he could not get out of wrote a great piece about AUD on Friday.

It really is a great read

Howie’s long-standing antagonistic views of the company notwithstanding, they did make some interesting choices for divestitures in Boston. Unsaid in the piece is that Entercom already had a regional network simulcasting WEEI, which would have made a sale of WEEI problematic. So of course the better sports station, WBZ-FM, had to be sold.

Audacy is pretty much in a no-win. The Field family is not in any position to be stripped of control—which was not the case with Cumulus and why the Dickeys were booted out the door—but the reverse Morris trust merger with CBS Radio was a disaster that is not making the other shareholders happy. The company will likely be delisted but a Chapter 11 reorganization itself is unlikely (plus it’d be something the Fields would try to avoid). It’s not a bad company but not an excellently run company, either.

Purgatory, basically.

Howie Carr, who had a long history with ETM, several of those years were forced due to a contract he could not get out of wrote a great piece about AUD on Friday.

It really is a great read
He's just upset because he could not negate a contract he signed and hated the fact he had to comply with its terms. So he is taking it out on a company that actually runs a lot of very profitable radio stations.

Howie’s long-standing antagonistic views of the company notwithstanding, they did make some interesting choices for divestitures in Boston.
Let's remember that the sale in Boston as originally envisioned would have put nearly 100% of all sports revenue and listening in one "basket". The FCC in this case decided that they could also look at that audience and revenue category and force divestitures that would keep the "sports voices" independent, even if the overall sale did not violate total market caps.

He's just upset because he could not negate a contract he signed and hated the fact he had to comply with its terms. So he is taking it out on a company that actually runs a lot of very profitable radio stations.
Didn’t he badmouth Entercom on a daily basis throughout the duration of said contract and coin the phrase “Entercom happens” upon any technical difficulty? Howie really tried everything he could to get fired and it didn’t work, much to their credit.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom