• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Audacy Cuts ✂️

As a sidenote, it would be cool if WXBK could some day be traded for WBAI, but I cannot recall if the latter is licensed as a non-commercial facility.

It is, but since it's located in the commercial part of the dial it could be converted. That's what Family Radio did when they prepared to sell 94.7.

WXBK has been on for over a year and the needle hasn't moved. The station can't even break a 2 share. I believe it's been consistently the lowest ranked commercial fm station in market #1.
They just added a slowjam show I wonder if this is more of a gradual shift to adult r&b over time

What WINS and WCBS need to do is build a brand that will transcend the medium. If you have people searching WINS, if that brand is optimized to come up first when people in New York search for News, if that site starts getting millions of hits, similar to other news brands, then they have something. The reason WTOP makes so much money is they've properly monetized its web content so they make as much there as they can. Because that's where the audience is going.

Moving an AM station to FM is a short term solution. They need to think about what's next, because what's next is already needed now.

However, the music on 94.7 is old, and the entire radio audience is aging. The crisis goes beyond specific formats today.
So is the music on WCBS-FM, and Q 104.3, and during Cousin Brucie's WABC show. And your point is...??

The cost-cutting newsroom consolidation actually gives Audacy a good reason to continue both news stations given that kind of efficiency. A music format may still cost less than news, but we've seen plenty of radio industry analysts opine that music formats on FM are not the future. Does Audacy really want to get rid of one of its heritage news brands in the nation's most lucrative market? Why wouldn't they keep it and make format tweaks to differentiate it more from WINS instead? We're already seeing some moves being made along those lines.
Wrong. This gives them even more of a reason to begin a gradual winding down of the format on one of the two stations. And if you take it for face value, WCBS is the appointed, proverbial sacrificial lamb.

Both of which stand to bring in more revenue than a low rated music format.
Do you have something against hip-hop music? I have never seen so much impatience about a new music format before and I can't help but believe it's all based on bias. I don't recall anyone being this quick with the trigger when with the country format that The Block replaced.

What WINS and WCBS need to do is build a brand that will transcend the medium. If you have people searching WINS, if that brand is optimized to come up first when people in New York search for News, if that site starts getting millions of hits, similar to other news brands, then they have something. The reason WTOP makes so much money is they've properly monetized its web content so they make as much there as they can. Because that's where the audience is going.

Moving an AM station to FM is a short term solution. They need to think about what's next, because what's next is already needed now.
That's a very good point. It made me think of this...

Remember, the clock is ticking on those WCBS (AM) call letters. They will have to go away in another 15 years or so. If the station gets sold before that time, I'm not sure that clause agreed to by CBS and Entercom will carry over into a change of ownership. So with that consideration, one unifying brand for all-news radio is what should happen sooner rather than later.

For the last time, Audacy made its choice. WINS won.

And if you're looking for ways to increase revenue, then WTOP is perhaps the best example to study.

Do you have something against hip-hop music? I have never seen so much impatience about a new music format before and I can't help but believe it's all based on bias. I don't recall anyone being this quick with the trigger when with the country format that The Block replaced.

Oh, there were plenty of people pronouncing Country dead the day it debuted, never mind more than a year after it had been on the air. And guess what? They were right.

My only bias is history. How many classic hip hop stations have we witnessed debut with spectacular numbers only to fade away quickly? WXBK didn't even get that initial pop, it has been flat right from the beginning.

Last edited:
Jammin' 105.1, around 20 years ago also tried urban oldies, and then urban a/c. It only started doing well when it changed format again, and became a direct competitor to WQHT 97.1.

So is the music on WCBS-FM, and Q 104.3, and during Cousin Brucie's WABC show. And your point is...??
The Cousin Bruce part of that statement aside, this poster is convinced (they have stated such more than once) how it is inconceivable to them that the younger end of 18-49 listen to “old music”. WAXQ’s numbers with young males has to be “an accident” or “incidental listening at work”. Total rubbish.

Apparently playing old music is killing radio because all/the majority of young people exclusively listen to new music and thus radio is not serving them.

Step onto any college campus and you will find that the former is a wildly false narrative. The issue that radio faces is the modality of delivery, which only really iHeart has down: younger radio listeners would rather stream on their than break out an FM radio. And when it comes to finding the music they want, they’d rather just use YouTube or Spotify. The one thing I hear a lot from young radio listeners, however, is that it’s music discovery; I still view as a great strength of radio (commercial and non-commercial, terrestrial or streaming).

Last edited:
Jammin' 105.1, around 20 years ago also tried urban oldies, and then urban a/c. It only started doing well when it changed format again, and became a direct competitor to WQHT 97.1.
Actually, Power is much more African American targeted while Hot is aimed as much at Hispanics as Blacks and non-Hispanic whites. While they seem to both be urban, Hot is much more broad in appeal.

Oh, there were plenty of people pronouncing Country dead the day it debuted, never mind more than a year after it had been on the air. And guess what? They were right.

My only bias is history. How many classic hip hop stations have we witnessed debut with spectacular numbers only to fade away quickly? WXBK didn't even get that initial pop, it has been flat right from the beginning.
RE Country: 94.7 as WNSH was supported Cumulus because of the whole "Nash" thing which they abandoned over time. But NYC wasn't and isn't a Country town. Yet, the format lasted eight years and an ownership change.

We have never had a classic hip-hop station here until The Block. One could use other markets as a template, but NYC is different because the genre originated here. It should be done here, and it could be done better as far as the playlist. But this is corporate radio, so it is what it is.

The fact is that none of the asset sales or cost cutting will erase the $2 billion debt, and nothing will correct the bad decisions Audacy made in attempting to diversify the company into podcasting. It's interesting that neither of the AMs are reported to be in the LLC. That's a very different group.
Fun fact. Audacy just hired a president for their podcast division a few weeks ago, at a salary of $1.5 million per annum.

Not bad, for a "bad decision."

HD will survive mostly because it is the required licensed station support for hundreds and hundreds of FM translators all over the US. An FM with an HD channel can then obtain a translator and become a new service with 250 watts and, in many cases, very high antenna locations.

Those HD channels with translators do not count against an owner's market station limit, so it's like having an extra FM. In many markets, a translator can cover most or all of the market area.
Would you see it as a dominant medium, even with it serving as a valid source for a translator? I admit that when I said surving, I should have meant being dominant. AM is surviving for the same reason.

One of Audacy’s biggest downsides (besides their stupid name) is that they have no actual podcasts for shows on some stations like WFAN, and instead just have a clunky audio player built in to the station websites, where the most recent shows have to be streamed and expire 3 days after they‘ve aired. It’s such a hamfisted way of doing it and I guess they just don’t want to spend the time/money to create actual show podcast feeds across their different stations.

It’s such a hamfisted way of doing it and I guess they just don’t want to spend the time/money to create actual show podcast feeds across their different stations.

In my opinion, the podcast situation at Audacy is what has created the current crisis. They overpaid to buy outside companies when they could have better utilized internal resources. I've noticed a long-standing ignorance on the part of the heritage Entercom managers who refused to accept the knowledge and experience of the former CBS Radio people. That inability to use existing assets has cost them hundreds of millions of dollars. The problem is that they DID in fact spend a lot of money, and it got them a lot of podcasts that no one wants.

You're correct, BigA, and that attitude started at the very top of the company, in my opinion.

The cash flow expended to enter an already heavily crowded podcasting and digital streaming space definitely caught my attention. At the same time, some of their large and major market FM stations were having budgets scaled back significantly.

In my opinion, the podcast situation at Audacy is what has created the current crisis. They overpaid to buy outside companies when they could have better utilized internal resources.
Shades of when Cumulus wasted untold millions on Rdio and couldn’t figure out what to do with it … and a print magazine to prop up their Nash brand.

The reason WTOP makes so much money is because Washington gets tons of issues advertising and other politically-related advertising that no other market gets.

That may be, but their website gets 5 million hits a month, which is more than any other local news site in DC, including the TV stations. They have 10 ads on their homepage and 13 ads on every secondary page. They run pre-roll ads on audio and video. Lots of opportunities for those ads to seen and heard.

That may be, but their website gets 5 million hits a month, which is more than any other local news site in DC, including the TV stations. They have 10 ads on their homepage and 13 ads on every secondary page. They run pre-roll ads on audio and video. Lots of opportunities for those ads to seen and heard.
WTOP really started to press the digital side of things 15 years ago, right after moving to 103.5. Jim Farley doesn’t get enough credit for being a forward-thinker at the time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom