• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

As the Earth Turns.

It could have been a fluke.....it was Sunday afternoon programming. You'd think "Clocks" from '03 would be heard first though.

I wonder what the context of this "fluke" playing of a 2008 hit was. It's unthinkable that a jock on a station with a playlist as tight and focused as KRTH's could "go rogue" and insert a non-approved song, even on a Sunday afternoon. Such a thing probably isn't even possible, given the pre-scheduling of all songs played. Does KRTH run syndicated programming on Sundays?

It could have been a fluke.....it was Sunday afternoon programming. You'd think "Clocks" from '03 would be heard first though.[

There are no flukes at KRTH. Clearly "Viva La Vida" tested well with the audience KRTH wants to reach most. To think "Clocks" would have to be played on KRTH first, you have to think in terms of artificial limits instead of response to what the target audience is telling you. It's the difference between winning and losing.

There are no flukes at KRTH. Clearly "Viva La Vida" tested well with the audience KRTH wants to reach most. To think "Clocks" would have to be played on KRTH first, you have to think in terms of artificial limits instead of response to what the target audience is telling you. It's the difference between winning and losing.

Would you say the same about 1973's "Little Willy", played this morning on their morning show? I don't believe music from The Sweet would test well on that particular station, but I could be wrong. It played this morning around 8:10 during morning drive. A good song and rarely heard today it seems. Hey, maybe they are shaking things up just a tad.

I once caught Little Willy on XM's 70's on 7 during Dennis The Menace's Friday night show 9pm-1am. Good Song! However KRTH might have played it to see if there would be a response from the station's audience. Yes I understand that obscure hits out of nowhere turn off listeners, but maybe Gary Bryan wanted to take a small risk since it was the morning drive? Is Little Willy actually on KRTH's playlist?

Would you say the same about 1973's "Little Willy", played this morning on their morning show? I don't believe music from The Sweet would test well on that particular station, but I could be wrong. It played this morning around 8:10 during morning drive. A good song and rarely heard today it seems. Hey, maybe they are shaking things up just a tad.

Even the tightest stations seem to allow for the occasional exception. I recall that in the early 90s, 99.7 KFRC (Oldies) in the Bay Area had Kokomo by the Beach Boys in the rotation. At that time, the KFRC was playing exclusively 60s to mid 70s. AFAIK, Kokomo was released in 1988 for the the Cocktail - a Tom Cruise film. I assumed that since KFRC was playing a lot of Beach Boy songs, that Kokomo fit in with the sound, even though Oldies stations never touched the 80s in those days.

I once caught Little Willy on XM's 70's on 7 during Dennis The Menace's Friday night show 9pm-1am. Good Song! However KRTH might have played it to see if there would be a response from the station's audience. Yes I understand that obscure hits out of nowhere turn off listeners, but maybe Gary Bryan wanted to take a small risk since it was the morning drive? Is Little Willy actually on KRTH's playlist?

Stations don't play songs to measure reaction... they put them in their next music test.

I checked KRTH for the last 6 weeks through May 2, and Little Willy was not played or, in the worst case, not detected. So if it played today, then it's not a regular part of the rotation.

They did play "Fox on the Run" once a week in five of the last 6 weeks.

David: I'm the new guy here :)

LKeller: Around 2002 or 2003 I noticed KRTH was playing some songs from the early 80's. I remember hearing the Pointer Sister's "I'm So Excited" on KRTH! I think that was being done to update the playlist while keeping the 60's/70's. then the 80's were cut a year later and the station reverted back to 55-79. A lot of oldies stations were trying to freshen up their image while retaining the classics.

David: I'm the new guy here :)

LKeller: Around 2002 or 2003 I noticed KRTH was playing some songs from the early 80's while cutting back on the 50's. I remember hearing the Pointer Sister's "I'm So Excited" on KRTH! I think that was being done to update the playlist while keeping the 60's/70's. then the 80's were cut a year later and the station reverted back to 55-79. A lot of oldies stations were trying to freshen up their image in the early 2000's while retaining the classics.

They did play "Fox on the Run" once a week in five of the last 6 weeks.

Ok, they are probably trying out Sweet music of late. Maybe "Love is Like Oxygen" or "Ballroom Blitz" could be on the horizon.

Around 2002 or 2003 I noticed KRTH was playing some songs from the early 80's. I remember hearing the Pointer Sister's "I'm So Excited" on KRTH! I think that was being done to update the playlist while keeping the 60's/70's. then the 80's were cut a year later and the station reverted back to 55-79. A lot of oldies stations were trying to freshen up their image while retaining the classics.

Welcome and nice memory! Frankly, I don't even remember KRTH touching the 80's back then, but it must have been brief. Otherwise, it was Motown and British heavy I recall. I believe that was a tough time for that station anyways, before Jhani saved the day!

I hear The Sweet played on 88.5 FM (KCSN/KSBR) including "Little Willy" as well as other tracks by the group. I know that's a different format but what I like about the station is the playlist is a mile wide and a mile deep. Few restrictions

I hear The Sweet played on 88.5 FM (KCSN/KSBR) including "Little Willy" as well as other tracks by the group. I know that's a different format but what I like about the station is the playlist is a mile wide and a mile deep. Few restrictions

Sounds like my kind of station. I remember them, when I lived in South OC. Weren't they new age / jazz, for years and years it seemed? Out of Saddleback College and run by students I remember.

Doesn't get any cooler than Sweet. "Fox on the Run" still rocks (sounds like the Raspberries on steroids!) as does "Little Willy". They changed their style several times through the 70's but were always cool no matter what stage. They started out as bubble gum as could be in the early 70's , rocked really hard mid-70's (in fact heavy metal band Krokus covered "Ballroom Blitz" as a perfect metal cover in the mid-80's), but were yacht rock cool by the end of the 70's with the breathless "Love is Like Oxygen" featuring the given wisdom, "you get too much, you get too high". You sure do! But they are forever trapped in the 70's time capsule. Fell off the face of the earth after that. Like a lot of great 70's artists, they have never really got their due.

Last edited:
Sounds like my kind of station. I remember them, when I lived in South OC. Weren't they new age / jazz, for years and years it seemed? Out of Saddleback College and run by students I remember.

Oldies, are you reading the non-KRTH threads? KCSN/KSBR gets a lot of discussion time on this board and the two signals have been merged for some time now. If only they could reach downtown Glendale...

But I digress - you should check them out. I find their new music choices to be wanting sometimes - Like Twisted Sister's Dee Snyder sings, "I wanna Rock" and a lot of times the new artists on KCSN simply do not, but one can sit through a lot because a gold track is never too far away, and as Super says, a lot of times Sky does a good job picking out some gems.

Now if I can just get them to play Lone Justice...

Oldies, are you reading the non-KRTH threads? KCSN/KSBR gets a lot of discussion time on this board and the two signals have been merged for some time now. If only they could reach downtown Glendale...

But I digress - you should check them out. I find their new music choices to be wanting sometimes - Like Twisted Sister's Dee Snyder sings, "I wanna Rock" and a lot of times the new artists on KCSN simply do not, but one can sit through a lot because a gold track is never too far away, and as Super says, a lot of times Sky does a good job picking out some gems.

And maybe, if I lived out there, I could get them to play Fairport Convention, or Donna Summer, or old Bob Newhart comedy records. Truthfully, the station's non-format, from the way you're describing it, sounds like a train wreck. But I guess with community/college stations, finding an enthusiastic few trumps finding many who merely find your station pleasant listening. Or maybe the only thing that matters is if the program director and DJs have big smiles on their faces.

But I digress - you should check them out.

I will definitely check them out. I have not participated in too many threads of late as I've cut back my posting these past couple years. But thanks for the suggestion. I love those older gold tracks and will check the KSBR threads as well.

Just tuned in to KCSN....."Stolen Dance" by Milky Chance is one of my favs. Great tune!!!!

Last edited:
And maybe, if I lived out there, I could get them to play Fairport Convention, or Donna Summer, or old Bob Newhart comedy records. Truthfully, the station's non-format, from the way you're describing it, sounds like a train wreck. But I guess with community/college stations, finding an enthusiastic few trumps finding many who merely find your station pleasant listening. Or maybe the only thing that matters is if the program director and DJs have big smiles on their faces.

Actually, KCSN is very professionally programmed by industry veteran Sky Daniels (KFOG and KMET among others), but targets a different audience base given it's university ownership and listener support financing. It is what others are not; it's almost as if it is what others can not be.

It's not full of train wrecks. Its a spicy blend of eclectic radio.

Haha I have heard quite a few times "Shelter" and "Ways to be Wicked";;; Have also heard them go off the tracks a little with the LP version of The Isley Brothers' "Who's That Lady?"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom