• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Arizona TV Nostalgia

Brings back memories of Kent Dana and Linda Alvarez! In the early 80s I was living in New England but looking to leave the crappy weather and move to a place with better weather. Long story short I came out to Phoenix for the first time on a business trip. Stayed at the Holiday Inn in Scottsdale. This commercial came on, and I pretty much knew that the Valley would probably be my new home -- and is to this day!

@VoiceofWayne, that's amazing!!! I have a similar story. I was a college student in Providence, RI where WPRI Channel 12 used a very similar "Hello Rhode Island" package. I spent a summer in Phoenix in the early 80's, watching KPNX Channel 12 with Hello Arizona!

The only difference is that it took me 20 years to get back to Arizona!

Wow, I never realized that was a syndicated campaign. WSEE TV in Erie, PA had the very same with "Hello, Erie."

This 1984 Eyewitness News-era KTVK open is new to YouTube:

That open was state of the art for the time. Too bad the station was an also ran at the time.

The background music used in the "Sun Spots" at the :15 mark was "Sun Runner" by Bob James, also used by KPHO in the '80s for "The Rita Davenport Show."

My guess is that the open rolled out in September when Mary Jo West started anchoring for 3. The music is a custom—probably by Mark Mercury (Mark Gibbons), who was involved with the animation company Calico. They did the visuals for the open and two opens with very similar styles used by KREM (Spokane, Washington), also with Mercury music, and WPXI (Pittsburgh).

I don't think it might have lasted the year, maybe the animation. They got the new Turn To package from Gari in 1984. We've never gotten an Eyewitness News open from that period, which ran right until NewsChannel 3 in the summer of 1986.

This clip isn't a new upload, but it's not included in the compilation upthread, and it features KTVK's anchor team from just before Mary Jo West joined, so here goes:

Unusually, the open appears about a minute into the A-Block, at the 2:32 mark in this clip.

Brings back memories of Kent Dana and Linda Alvarez! In the early 80s I was living in New England but looking to leave the crappy weather and move to a place with better weather. Long story short I came out to Phoenix for the first time on a business trip. Stayed at the Holiday Inn in Scottsdale. This commercial came on, and I pretty much knew that the Valley would probably be my new home -- and is to this day!

Had no idea Linda Alvarez had a stint in Phoenix. She is best known as a Los Angeles TV Anchor for KNBC, KCAL and KCBS when she was on TV in LA.

Had no idea Linda Alvarez had a stint in Phoenix. She is best known as a Los Angeles TV Anchor for KNBC, KCAL and KCBS when she was on TV in LA.

Here's one of the oldest clips of Alvarez at Channel 12 in Phoenix, when KPNX was still known as KTAR:

When Alvarez left for Los Angeles in 1985, she was replaced by Patti Kirkpatrick.

Gina Maravilla is still on Ch. 3 and she is early in this clip. She's just great as a newbie.

A young Scott Passmore makes an appearance at the beginning of this 1993 KTVK newscast (as seen on C-SPAN), as does Radio Discussions forum member Michael Hagerty:

Arizona Senatorial Retirement Newscast

This 1997 KPNX promo features some memorable Valley TV personalities:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom