• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Are they phasing out (787) numbers?

I've noticed that a lot of the radio stations in the area seem to be using toll-free numbers for their studio lines now. Are they trying to pahase out the 787 numbers or is this more of a way to offer access to those listening on the internet? Not sure if the CC stations are doing it, but I know that several CBS stations do.

I've always been told the main reason for putting every radio station's request/contest line on a single prefix was to minimize the risk of blowing multiple circuits during a major contest. In other words, if the most popular station in town was giving away a big prize to a certain caller, too many calls would only blow the radio stations' circuit and not knock out phone service to the entire town. Granted, the worst case scenario can still happen, and it did happen in Amarillo about 20 years ago when KGNC-FM did a contest in the middle of summer vacation and nearly every kid in Amarillo picked up the phone, but it's much less likely.

So, I suppose it's possible that there's less of a risk of that now that contests are going national or going away altogether. However, it's also possible they're using toll-free numbers because the metro area is growing even beyond the boundaries of the so-called "metro numbers" or that so many people use cell phones it just doesn't matter so much.

I've spent most of my life selling services to radio and TV stations, about 30 years ago I was in to see Cat Simon at WZPL in Indy, that morning they were giving away a car to the (I think) 120th caller,,,they knocked out circuits all over Indy,,,as the constest was going on the telephone company was begging them to stop (they took it really slow answering calls, it took over an hour),,,,of course how can you stop after you announce the "xys caller" will get a new car...

Those type of things are why they came up with the 787 exchange, its a "ghost exchange" and they can keep it separate from the real exchanges.

I don't know about today, but I do know in the 1970's, the 787 exchange was created for the purpose of not allowing radio stations to disrupt regular phone exchanges from massive call ins.
They were called "choke lines" as I recall.
If a contest or call in blew out the 787 exchange, the only affected parties would be the radio station.
I am pretty sure KVIL was the first DFW station to have a 787 number, followed by Z-97 (anybody remember them?).

Now...can anyone remember what KVIL's studio line (NEVER a "request" line) was BEFORE 787-1037....?

Steve Eberhart said:
I don't know about today, but I do know in the 1970's, the 787 exchange was created for the purpose of not allowing radio stations to disrupt regular phone exchanges from massive call ins.
They were called "choke lines" as I recall.
If a contest or call in blew out the 787 exchange, the only affected parties would be the radio station.
I am pretty sure KVIL was the first DFW station to have a 787 number, followed by Z-97 (anybody remember them?).

Now...can anyone remember what KVIL's studio line (NEVER a "request" line) was BEFORE 787-1037....?

I certainly do. ;D As program director gearing up for the station sign-on in the spring of 1977, one of my concerns was the request line. Since we were based in Fort Worth (KFJZ-FM) but with an excellent Cedar Hill signal blanketing north Texas and with a target audience of 12-24, I knew our phones would be active.

I called the phone company and explained who we were without identifying our future Z-97 name and asked about phone capacity with regard to radio station contest and request lines. The supervisor all but laughed when I warned that our future promotions would undoubtedly jam their circuits. They assured me they had plenty of capacity built in and for us not to worry.

Within a few days of sign-on in April 1977, the phone company called back sheepishly apologizing and almost begging us to change to their newly-created, special exchange only for radio stations - 787 - and were we excited!

Not only was Z-97 an immediate success, but getting a unique exchange would force our competitors (KNUS-FM and others) to eventually change their own numbers. How annoying for them! Hah! Part of winning a ratings war, of course, is making the other guys lose, both outside the building (the audience) and inside (a discontented staff).

So we chose 787-1000 with listeners using either the 214 or 817 area code, and I think other area codes worked, too. KVIL soon followed and so did other stations.

What was great about having first choice is that other stations' numbers also had to be in the same 1000 range, and that meant they had to come up with strange number combinations to avoid mention 787 one thousand as part of their own number!

Ah yes, those were fun days....

GM

Gary Mack said:
As program director gearing up for the station sign-on in the spring of 1977, one of my concerns was the request line.

Off topic: are you THE Gary Mack who was at KRUX 1973-74?

The Choke Lines/Network as mentioned are used to protect the area phone network and are basically the entrance points for call forwarding to a radio station's local exchange office. When you call a radio station's studio line, the Choke Lines/Network (787) call forwards your call to the local exchange where the radio station is located.

Since calls passing through the Choke Lines/Network won't pass "CALLER ID" information, some radio stations in town have migrated to 888 or 800 numbers so that the various broadcast phone hybrids such as Telos and it's call management software can use the "CALLER ID" function.

Another reason for migrating to 800/888, when a major radio station is running a popular contest that generates a high volume of calls, as the number of simultaneous attempts to the (787) exchange increase, the Choke Lines/Network will reach capacity and caller traffic to other stations is compromised. That tends to disrupt radio stations that depend on caller input such as talk stations.

The KVIL studio line was 263-2631

263 was a Grand Prarie exchange which made it a "metro" number - local in Dallas & Fort Worth...you know, back when calling Dallas to Fort Worth or vice-versa was actually a long distance call!

I also remember a story about the "choke" lines, which as Jay said essentially forwarded to your actual number...IF one had the actual number that the choke line forwarded TO and called that number instead of the 787 number, one could get through to the station almost every time as it avoided the hundreds that might be calling the 787 number. I understand there were a very few people who knew about this and would call those numbers during contesting thereby increasing their odds of being the correct caller. ("...allegedly...")

KVIL's Dallas line was 214/526-8666.

The toll-free numbers have nothing to do with reaching out to the outskirts (who pays for long distance anymore, anyway?) It's because CC/CBS/Cume all run those insipid NATIONAL contests since there's no live jock in any studio. Love the "Be caller #55 at 888-~~~' -- it works great since the song each station happens to be playing all end at the exact same time! Yeah, right. Another failure of voicetracking *trying* to appear live-and-local, and another failure of modern radio, offering a paltry prize that perhaps 100,000 people across the US will try to call in and win. Anyone remember prize budgets? KVIL's promotions were truly the best.

MikeShannon914 said:
KVIL's promotions were truly the best.

Ahh, The Fun and Games Department at KVIL!

MikeShannon914 said:
The toll-free numbers have nothing to do with reaching out to the outskirts (who pays for long distance anymore, anyway?) It's because CC/CBS/Cume all run those insipid NATIONAL contests since there's no live jock in any studio. Love the "Be caller #55 at 888-~~~'

That is not true, Mike. The national contests use different toll-free numbers, never the "studio line" numbers.

Interesting, but my tour of duty was before you arrived.  I was Larry Dean 1969-1971 and Gary Mack 1972-1973, then left that summer to PD KLEO/Wichita.  I saw the KRUX building two months ago when I returned to Phoenix for the KRIZ reunion after working there from 1967-1969.  The West Camelback site looks like a jungle now.

GM

Does not matter what the request line # is anymore... no one is there to actually answer it :) [They haven't been able to teach Nexgen how to answer the phone yet] :)

xmusicmatt said:
Does not matter what the request line # is anymore... no one is there to actually answer it :) [They haven't been able to teach Nexgen how to answer the phone yet] :)

It's probably a software patch that they don't want to purchase ::)

800 and 888 number automatically pass caller ID info even if the caller tried to block it by dialing *67. Reason? The number called gets billed, so they have a right to know who is calling them. Few people know this outside of the telco industry, but it's a good way for radio stations to limit trolls and pranksters.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom