• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Are there any updates on KWCX, KCDX, KKYZ, KRDX?

Back to 104.9: Yesterday I drove across Tucson from the east side to Alvernon and Fort Lowell. What a mess 104.9 is! For miles and miles it is a mass of interference between KWCX and the translator. To make matters worse there is about a one second delay in the audio between the two stations. So in much of Tucson 104.9 is pretty much unlistenable noise. They should air an announcement that if you can't get clear audio on 104.9 tune to 1490 A.M.

Recent news on the KXKR Catalina Foothills paperwork effort.. On 1/12/2022 the FCC accepted for filing a revised proposal for Cochise's KXKR to broadcast from a different tower further east on the valley floor with a -3M HAAT. The power output and resulting coverage drops substantially. It's now just 11.5kw versus the former 24kw ERP. The null is no longer so deep, only 19dB. A nice comparison is here :

Recent news on the KXKR Catalina Foothills paperwork effort...
Well, that's marginally interesting. "Catalina Foothills" as most that live here know, is an enclave of upper-middle-class folks who have the shadows of a couple of ancient broadcast properties in the vicinity.

1330 (KWFM, et. al) and 580 (KIKX, et. al)

Not that the CoT wouldn't try to annex a lot more of that area; NIMBY-ism is alive and well north of River Rd.

Any wagers that another clone of KCDX, KRDX, etc. is on the horizon? Guess I'd better set a radio preset in the vehicles to listen for this signal resurrection.

The FCC on 1/31 approved the KXKR proposal for 11.5kw ERP at Catalina Foothills. Now, approved, hopefully the new Tucson signal will be lit up soon.

The more likely answer for the format is "Another automated jukebox until the property is sold." That's the modus operandi of Ted Tucker's Cochise and Desert Air Ranchers.. Most of the time this strategy worked except for the those pesky consent decrees (Wyoming, etc,)

On another tangent - there are two Tucson translators associated with Ted and Jana's move-in station: K265CW, K250AN . Those frequencies might change to other sources. With the C3 downgrade to 11.5kw, the primary contour no longer encompasses K250AN so that will have to be "rehomed" to another source, possibly also for K265CW.

Last edited:
The more likely answer for the format is "Another automated jukebox until the property is sold." That's the modus operandi of Ted Tucker's Cochise and Desert Air Ranchers.. Most of the time this strategy worked except for the those pesky consent decrees (Wyoming, etc,)

On another tangent - there are two Tucson translators associated with Ted and Jana's move-in station: K265CW, K250AN . Those frequencies might change to other sources. With the C3 downgrade to 11.5kw, the primary contour no longer encompasses K250AN so that will have to be "rehomed" to another source, possibly also for K265CW.

He can just shuffle them off to another company related to him, and viola.. done. Legal too

Well, it's close to 20 years (maybe over?) for the KCDX jukebox to still be humming along out of beautiful Globe Florence/Phoenix, AZ. Is it a success? Depends on the definition, doesn't it?

Now, at least on the (on again, off again) audio stream for the Desert West Air Ranchers' flagship property, from time to time there will be a spot in there for the Gila County broadband internet provider. Probably as a trade for connectivity up on the mountain...until THAT stick moves.

Another story for another time.

As I've pointed out in the past the main purpose of KCDX is to block anyone from using 103.1 or an adjacent frequency in the Tucson market. Eventually when Ted is good and ready he'll move in another station, most likely from the east, to some suburb of Tucson. Then simultaneously KCDX will be moved closer to Phoenix. Both the new Tucson station and KCDX will then be sold. Conspiring to restrain competition is a major part of the game plan. Meanwhile KCDX plays Ted's favorite music by album rock bands that were big in the 1970s. I believe that all of the Tucker stations play some form of rock or pop oldies. You won't hear jazz or country or ranchero. All of his stations are jukeboxes run in the cheapest possible way. And no news is good news.

As I've pointed out in the past the main purpose of KCDX is to block anyone from using 103.1 or an adjacent frequency in the Tucson market. Eventually when Ted is good and ready he'll move in another station, most likely from the east, to some suburb of Tucson. Then simultaneously KCDX will be moved closer to Phoenix. Both the new Tucson station and KCDX will then be sold. Conspiring to restrain competition is a major part of the game plan. Meanwhile KCDX plays Ted's favorite music by album rock bands that were big in the 1970s. I believe that all of the Tucker stations play some form of rock or pop oldies. You won't hear jazz or country or ranchero. All of his stations are jukeboxes run in the cheapest possible way. And no news is good ne
20 years now for KCDX, that's a long time to be stunting!
As I've pointed out in the past the main purpose of KCDX is to block anyone from using 103.1 or an adjacent frequency in the Tucson market. Eventually when Ted is good and ready he'll move in another station, most likely from the east, to some suburb of Tucson. Then simultaneously KCDX will be moved closer to Phoenix. Both the new Tucson station and KCDX will then be sold. Conspiring to restrain competition is a major part of the game plan. Meanwhile KCDX plays Ted's favorite music by album rock bands that were big in the 1970s. I believe that all of the Tucker stations play some form of rock or pop oldies. You won't hear jazz or country or ranchero. All of his stations are jukeboxes run in the cheapest possible way. And no news is good news.
Along with KZXK 98.9/95.5 Flagstaff, he has most of the state of Arizona covered. It looks like KZXK may be simulcasting KCDX. Can't find a stream for KZXK though.

Well, that's marginally interesting. "Catalina Foothills" as most that live here know, is an enclave of upper-middle-class folks who have the shadows of a couple of ancient broadcast properties in the vicinity.

1330 (KWFM, et. al) and 580 (KIKX, et. al)

Not that the CoT wouldn't try to annex a lot more of that area; NIMBY-ism is alive and well north of River Rd.

Any wagers that another clone of KCDX, KRDX, etc. is on the horizon? Guess I'd better set a radio preset in the vehicles to listen for this signal resurrection.
Are the KWFM towers still standing? The former owners will make out pretty well $$$ once that land is sold.

As far as I know they are.

A significant part of the property is in a drainage area. Mitigation will be challenging, but possibly worth the effort.

KXKR , Ted's Catalina Foothills new C3 at 101.1 MHz with 11.5kw ERP just filed a licemse-to-cover request with the FCC Any signal repprts? Any format insight?

Potential signal report on KXKR about two hours ago.

VERY low audio level in NW Tucson (Ina & La Cholla), but heard a portion of a Three Dog Night selection.

Couldn't wait around to hear a legal ID to verify, which is why this report is listed as potential.

It's definitely on the air with Typical Ted's pop oldies jukebox. Tower appears to be very short and close to the building that Doug Martin used as his headquarters before he exited the radio business. I'll have more details on how this came about very soon.

Thanks for the reports. Supposedly two Tucson-area translators exist that are tied to the KXKR station, K250AN Oracle and K265CW Tucson. With the KXKR signal downgrade I am not sure if KXKR's contours still envelop those translator coverage areas..

Back
Top Bottom