• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Apple accused of monopolizing smartphone markets in US antitrust lawsuit

Note this on the allegations of "Big Tech" forming a monopoly. at the core of the business model.

WASHINGTON, March 21 (Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Justice and 15 states on Thursday sued Apple (AAPL.O), opens new tab, alleging it used the powerful demand for its iPhone and other products to drive up prices for its services and hurt smaller rivals, the latest move in a U.S. crackdown on Big Tech.
Apple joins corporate rivals sued by U.S. regulators, including Alphabet's (GOOGL.O), opens new tab Google, Meta Platforms (META.O), opens new tab and Amazon.com (AMZN.O), opens new tab across the administrations of both former President Donald Trump and President Joe Biden.
"Consumers should not have to pay higher prices because companies violate the antitrust laws," Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement. "If left unchallenged, Apple will only continue to strengthen its smartphone monopoly."
Dating back to its time as a marginal player in the personal computer market, Apple's business model has long been based on charging users a premium for technology products where Apple dictates nearly all of the details of how the device works and can be used. The Justice Department seeks to unwind that business model by forcing Apple to offer users more choices around how apps can tap into the hardware that Apple designs.

The funny thing is that people seem willing to pay the price to get the product. Willing seller, willing buyer.

That doesn't respond to the issue, but I was led to believe that you base a price on what the market will bear.

I pay more for Apple than competitive and comparable devices. I do that with total awareness and because I like the ability to integrate other Apple devices like watches, iPads and laptops with the same interface.

The government seems to want to break up things that are good and which the public likes and admires. recently there were reports that Amazon was similarly being analyzed. Yet I love Amazon as they offer quick delivery of many things that I can't get locally and a better selection of things I might get locally. I'm well served by Amazon and not by most local stores other than ones like Target and Walmart and Costco.

I don't need the government telling me who to buy from. And I don't think that huge companies like Samsung are in need of protection against Apple.

Of course, the lack of interest in small retail outlets is part of the problem with radio today... local direct is dying and radio has to depend on service providers instead of stores: lawyers, medical services, roofers, remodelers and the like.

I pay more for Apple than competitive and comparable devices. I do that with total awareness and because I like the ability to integrate other Apple devices like watches, iPads and laptops with the same interface.
I’m typing this on an iPad (use it for ~95% of my posts here) and my wife and I love our iPhones. The tight integration of software and hardware results in a good user experience...basically because they’re “made for each other.” Android, on the other hand, can be a fractured mess.

While I wouldn’t mind seeing a serious third, and even fourth mobile operating system gain traction, it’s probably not going to happen, unless some well-heeled entity is able to come up with something radically innovative out of the blue. Witness how a huge company like Microsoft fell on its face with the Windows Phone. There are a few mobile OS alternatives out there, but we are talking microniche territory.
And I don't think that huge companies like Samsung are in need of protection against Apple.
Samsung has around 60% of the Android phone market in the U.S. Don’t hear anyone complaining about that.

This is the same government that went after Microsoft owning the PC market in the late 90s and the courts threw the case out or was it the Bush43 DOJ that dropped the lawsuit. The government should leave Apple alone along with Amazon they don't like businesses that are worth billion dollars. I also knew of the failed Windows phone I was surprised that Microsoft didn't want to get into the smartphone business in 2006 or 2007 to complete with Apple.

I wish as much effort went into preventing online fraud, identity theft and the like as seems to be put into breaking apart companies like Apple and Amazon and preventing the buy-out of U.S. Steel.

Mediafrog: I love my Apple watch, phone, iPad and accessories. They are easy to use, have a well protected insulated ecosystem that others can't access... and shouldn't be able to access. Now the gummint wants to open-systematize the structure and that nulls out the main reason I bought Apple products.

Is anyone of any party inside the Beltway even aware of how we use... and like... these products and services?

Want to know why Apple products are expensive? There's a 20% tariff on Chinese electronics. If the government wants to save consumers money, maybe they should think about dropping those tariffs.

Back
Top Bottom