• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Anyone remember the old KYLO-105.5

Years ago, I recall a station licensed in Davis. It was KYLO @ 105.5. If I remember right, the format was identical to today's KPIG-107.5 Freedom & the late great, KFAT-94.5 Gilroy. KYLO changed formats around 1982 or 1984 to Contemporary Christain Music. Then in 1986, KYLO changed its format to 50's/60's rock oldies. In 1989, KYLO changed calls to KLCQ and format to Classic Rock. In 1992, KYLO changed calls to KQBR (The Bear) and format to Country. Later that year, they moved to 104.3. But back to my original question, does anyone remember the original Progressive Country KYLO-105.5?

I do remember that station and liked the format. I think it was more geared to "outlaw country" than the eclectic mix that KPIG plays. If memory serves, KQBR was "The Breeze" with smooth jazz . The signal was a little weak in Sacto.

I worked there for a time in '89. Earlier on it was Outlaw Country, I was there when it was Rock 105.5. We were able to pick our own music as long as the categories were followed. Interesting mix, everything from Chuck Berry to some metal. Steve Michaels (who has been programming oldies in Chico since until earlier this year) set the music system up, when I came aboard he had just left and Sue Ryan was PD/mornings. Sue left and I did mornings for a few months, then I left when Mix 96 went on the air.

Fun radio, although at least based on the number of listener calls not too many were dialed in

KYLO made its debut in the Fall of 1978 with its "Progressive Country" format. It had live, laid-back air talent and was a mixture of Outlaw Country, Rock and some Blues. It's 3,000 watt signal could barely reach Carmicheal (where I lived at the time). Often, KEWT (105.1) would bleed over KYLO's signal.

I seem to remember seeing commercials for KYLO late nights on Channel 40. I remember seeing the station logo, followed by "KYLO at 105.5 FM.....Like a good woman, it's hard to find...but worth it when you do." I seem to remember some sort of references to "Armadillo Radio" or something similar, but I am not 100 percent clear on that.

In January 1982, KAER (92.5) dropped Beautiful Music for Country. That signalled the beginning of the end of the Progressive Country format on 105.5. By the Spring of 1982, KYLO had become fully automated and much more mainstream.

KYLO dropped Country altogether sometime on June 17, 1983. The owners flipped the format to Contemporary Christian music by day, and paid preachers by night. The preaching continued on KYLO until the summer of 1986, when they adopted an Oldies format. As was noted above, KYLO became KLCQ sometime in 1989 and was Sacramento's first Classic Rock station.

I used to listen to KLCQ and can remember the automation problems the station had late at night. It was too bad the station did not move to 104.3 FM prior to the November, 1990 debut of The Eagle. KLCQ might have been a contender, but probably not.

Surprisingly that 3000 watt signal reached as far south as Stockton. Then when the station moved to 104.3, I couldn't pick that station at all. Now, Modesto based KRVR is in that spot that reaches as far south as Lodi. Can't pick up Sacramento's KSAC.

jhimbo said:
I do remember that station and liked the format. I think it was more geared to "outlaw country" than the eclectic mix that KPIG plays. If memory serves, KQBR was "The Breeze" with smooth jazz . The signal was a little weak in Sacto.
If I remember right, EZ Communications (owner of KRAK-1140/105.1) bought KQBR via LMA, then moved it to 104.3. When EZ bought KNCI-98.5 in 1994, they sold KQBR to new owners who switched it to The Breeze.

I remember when it was in the "oldies" phase it would be on automation and seemed to go for days at a time without a commercial spot. Sometimes it was dead air. I didn't see how it could survive.

What sort of artists were played when the station was Progressive Country. In Dallas we had a Progressive Country station in the mid 1970s that was similar to the rock stations at the time with laid back DJs and long sets of music. They played lots of Texas artists like Jerry Jeff Walker and Rusty Weir. There was plenty of Eagles, Doobie Brothers, Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker Band, Linda Ronstadt, Michael Murphy and such. The station, KAFM, played a band called Pure Prairie League and the song Amie from an album RCA had cut from the catalog a few years prior. The song became so popular, the album was re-released and it became a top 40 hit. In a nutshell, Progressive Country by their standard was rock musicians playing country flavored songs. I know there was a good deal of Alt Country in later years.

Looks like KYLO’s old tower was 5 miles SW of Davis…3kw at 300 feet. Definitely wouldn’t be a strong signal east of Sac, but would have served Davis, Dixon, Vacaville, etc well. It was eventually moved to 104.3 on a new taller tower near Woodland in the early 90’s, present site of KXSE. They also upgraded to a 6kw Class A (with reduced ERP to 3.4kw at 436 feet).

If I remember right, EZ Communications (owner of KRAK-1140/105.1) bought KQBR via LMA, then moved it to 104.3. When EZ bought KNCI-98.5 in 1994, they sold KQBR to new owners who switched it to The Breeze.
The Bear 104.3, they were on the extreme side of New Country, they only played the current top 20 country songs, over, and over, and over...

Years ago, I recall a station licensed in Davis. It was KYLO @ 105.5. If I remember right, the format was identical to today's KPIG-107.5 Freedom & the late great, KFAT-94.5 Gilroy. KYLO changed formats around 1982 or 1984 to Contemporary Christain Music. Then in 1986, KYLO changed its format to 50's/60's rock oldies. In 1989, KYLO changed calls to KLCQ and format to Classic Rock. In 1992, KYLO changed calls to KQBR (The Bear) and format to Country. Later that year, they moved to 104.3. But back to my original question, does anyone remember the original Progressive Country KYLO-105.5?
For the life of me, I can't recall what 105.5 became after KQBR was moved to 104.3. Did they go dark for a period of time? I moved away from Sacramento at the end of 1994 This was shortly after The Breeze debuted on 104 3. That short period of time when Sacramento had two competing Smooth Jazz stations, CD 101.9 and the Breeze.

I'm thinking that 101.9 was " The City" at that time with their logo being a city skyline. I would welcome both of those formats (smooth jazz and progressive country) again in Sac, but it will never happen. Maby 103.5 would go progressive???

I'm thinking that 101.9 was " The City" at that time with their logo being a city skyline. I would welcome both of those formats (smooth jazz and progressive country) again in Sac, but it will never happen. Maby 103.5 would go progressive???
The call letters for 101.9 were KSSJ at the time. I know there was a "C" in the station name, but that was all I truly remember. 🤔

For the life of me, I can't recall what 105.5 became after KQBR was moved to 104.3. Did they go dark for a period of time? I moved away from Sacramento at the end of 1994 This was shortly after The Breeze debuted on 104 3. That short period of time when Sacramento had two competing Smooth Jazz stations, CD 101.9 and the Breeze.
KQBR moving to 104.3 paved the way for KIQS 105.5 to move from Willows to Dunnigan as a Class B1.

There's a truck with a KYLO bumper sticker that parks around Nevada City every so often. I saw it - 105.5. But never knew what it was until now. If I see it again I'll take a picture and post it here.

That station kept me from getting Live 105 (on 105.3) out of San Francisco- I complained many times to the FCC about it and even had a letter printed in the local paper. (105.1 didn't hurt reception as much, and they were a much more established station so there was no use trying to fight them.) They had SO many technical problems, it often sounded like their tape heads were shot. Shortly after switching to K-Bear they moved to 104.3 in order to have a better signal, that solved the Live 105 problem but KWOD had taken up a similar format by then and both started to decline in quality. Ironically my only paid radio gig was at 104.3 while it was "The Breeze", I essentially DJ'd with no talking on the air and was replaced by one of the first computerized systems that stored music on a hard drive and I had no desire to work in the business again after that. I loved the dance format that came on the later 105.5 frequency, shame that didn't last.

That station kept me from getting Live 105 (on 105.3) out of San Francisco- I complained many times to the FCC about it and even had a letter printed in the local paper. (105.1 didn't hurt reception as much, and they were a much more established station so there was no use trying to fight them.) They had SO many technical problems, it often sounded like their tape heads were shot. Shortly after switching to K-Bear they moved to 104.3 in order to have a better signal, that solved the Live 105 problem but KWOD had taken up a similar format by then and both started to decline in quality. Ironically my only paid radio gig was at 104.3 while it was "The Breeze", I essentially DJ'd with no talking on the air and was replaced by one of the first computerized systems that stored music on a hard drive and I had no desire to work in the business again after that. I loved the dance format that came on the later 105.5 frequency, shame that didn't last.
Sacramento, Davis and even Vacaville fall outside of the protected contour of KITS. The FCC's inaction would be appropriate.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom