• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Anyone remember Gary Bryan and J. Paul Emerson?

Gary Bryan I heard of him on KRTH Los Angeles as their midday host.

Never knew he did shows in the 1990's for KFRC when he was in San Francisco.

I don't live in San Francisco, but Gary Bryan had and is still having a notable radio career. I remember when WPLJ-FM in New York hired him to program the station against Z100. He was known for dismissing long-time morning man Jim Kerr, saying Kerr's image in the market was not CHR.

He then somehow moved to host the morning show on Z100 before coming to KFRC.

I don't live in San Francisco, but Gary Bryan had and is still having a notable radio career. I remember when WPLJ-FM in New York hired him to program the station against Z100. He was known for dismissing long-time morning man Jim Kerr, saying Kerr's image in the market was not CHR.

He then somehow moved to host the morning show on Z100 before coming to KFRC.
In a somewhat related area, Gary Bryan hosted Z100 Portland's morning zoo with sidekick Lorna Dee. She left to become Rick Dees' partner and became "Lorna Love".

Gary Bryan I heard of him on KRTH Los Angeles as their midday host.

Never knew he did shows in the 1990's for KFRC when he was in San Francisco.
Gary's been doing morning drive at KRTH (not middays) a long time. Next year will be 20 years.

Gary's been doing morning drive at KRTH (not middays) a long time. Next year will be 20 years.
He's a rare radio talent that has managed to hang on for a full 40 year career.

Immediately prior to KRTH, he was at KJR Seattle from 98-02 doing morning drive.

If you look at his LinkedIn, he has all his jobs listed, going back to the 70s.

Here is an Aircheck of him in the 2000's. Amazing how times fly by though and KRTH has to be Gary Bryan's longest role for one place.

J Paul Emerson on the other hand got called out for his rants in the 1990's.

Didn't he succeed the late Robert W. Morgan?
Charlie Van Dyke succeeded Morgan. I believe Charlie was there from September of 1998 to February of 2000.

Jim Carson, who filled in during Morgan's illness and was interim morning host after his retirement and until Van Dyke's arrival, moved back into the morning show when Van Dyke left. He had it until June of 2002.

Gary Bryan took mornings from that point, but I forgot about an experiment in February of 2005, when then-GM Maureen Lesourd moved Gary to afternoons, Shotgun Tom Kelly to evenings and put Hollywood Hamilton in mornings, with a brief period where Frazer Smith (!) was part of the morning show with Hollywood.

That lasted all of 15 months and Gary returned to the morning shot (and Shotgun to afternoons) in May of 2005.

So Gary's coming up on 20 years at KRTH, most of it in mornings and he's been doing mornings continuously for just over 16 years.

I've got hours and hours of Gary and J. Paul from KFRC recorded on reel to reel tape and no machine that works to play them on. But that is just about to change as I finally have the drive belt now to repair it. Then I will transfer them all to digital thumb drives. Should be interesting to hear them again.

Here is an Aircheck of him in the 2000's. Amazing how times fly by though and KRTH has to be Gary Bryan's longest role for one place.

J Paul Emerson on the other hand got called out for his rants in the 1990's.

Emerson(with or without Bryan) was an instant tune-out for me. A fool a few decades ahead of his time. We all can imagine how insufferable he would have been over the last 20 years.

I've got hours and hours of Gary and J. Paul from KFRC recorded on reel to reel tape and no machine that works to play them on. But that is just about to change as I finally have the drive belt now to repair it. Then I will transfer them all to digital thumb drives. Should be interesting to hear them again.
Do you have the loop when KXXX became KFRC? I had it on Cassette, but lost it :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom