• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Anyone know what's going on with WBIN/WUTF?

I'm experiencing the same problem as many others. On my newer Homeworx converter box, I get video and audio just fine on all 6 channels, including 50.1.
So, on the Homeworx, what RF-27.# hosts 66.1?

Okay for that arrangement.
But what about the tuner that does get WBIN:50.1? What does it do with WUTF:66.1? Does it stream fine and, if it does, what is its RF-27.#? And if okay on that tuner, do the other 66.#s also stream fine, or does that tuner just move the conflict to one of the other sub-channels?

On my 32" LGTV, If I go to the "Channel" Menu, select Manual Edit, I can scan to the RF channel - 27 - and it locks in as WBIN-TV, not WUTF, shows the signal meter as strong but reads "No Signal" right below. 66.1 to 66.5 all come in with a good signal.

On my other multimedia box - 1byOne that I bought last month and was made in January 2017 - and TV's, the same issue - 50.1 comes in, good signal, program guide, but reads as "No Signal" and dark screen. 66.1 to 66.5 come in great with full picture and sound.

On my IView and Homeworx multimedia Box, 50.1 comes in with a good signal just like 66.1 to 66.5 with full audio and video and program guide.

Pressing 27-6 on the LG TV remaps to 50-1 and no signal; the IView box goes to 50-1 and the actual full signal, and the other boxes and TV's say "Invalid channel" to 27-6.

I don't think that because there is another channel in my area mapping to 50-1 (WRIW-LD RF36) could cause this issue, but I'm not the expert.

When I called WUTF, I told them about the situation and I told them to see if they could remap to 27-6. The said they would need FCC approval for that but will try to work on it.

So, on the Homeworx, what RF-27.# hosts 66.1?

Good question, but unfortunately, I don't know of any way to see what the RF-27.# sub-channel number is. I can only see that all channels are on RF-27. If anyone can advise how to find the RF-27 sub-channel #, I will try to figure out. Thanks!

One thing I remembered, when I deleted and manually re-add RF-27 on my Homeworx box, it adds the channels in this order: 66.1, 66.2, 66.3, 66.4, 66.5, 50.1. If I'm not mistaken, it does add them to the lineup in the same order as the RF sub-channels. When I delete and then manually re-add RF-27 on my Insignia box, the main/default channel seems to be 50.1.

Last edited:
Wutf / wbin

The WUTF PSIP data, per a post at the other forum, which I had quoted above, is configured incorrectly for 66-6/50-1. The only person that can fix the problem is an engineer with access to the encoder settings at the WUTF transmitter or master control.

Many TV's apparently have decoders with sufficient built-in error correction to deal with the error. The rest are doing odd things, such as displaying a blank screen. It may be hard to get to the right person at the station, and they may not be a local employee always there.

This is the quote from the poster who had found the PSIP problem - "TVCT has incorrect PIDs listed in the Service Location descriptor for WBIN (0131 and 0134). The correct PIDs are listed in the PMT 0080 (0081 and 0084)."

From an ATSC specs document:

BASIC PSIP REQUIREMENTS FOR BROADCASTERS
The three main tables (VCT, EIT, STT) contain information to facilitate suitably equipped
receivers to find the components needed to present a program (event). Although receivers are
expected to use stored information to speed channel acquisition, sometimes parameters must
change and the VCT is the table that must be accurate each instant as it provides the actual
connection path.

The Virtual Channel Table, also referred to as the Terrestrial VCT (TVCT), contains a list of
all the channels that are or will be on-line, plus their attributes. Among the attributes given are
the channel name and channel number. This table is critically important as it contains the set of
data that enables a receiver to tune and locate the service being broadcast. The VCT is essentially
a list containing information about each service that a broadcaster creates or has announced that
it will be created within the DTV major channel assignment, as well as information about the
broadcaster’s associated analog channel.

Service Location Descriptor (SLD). The contents of each component of the programs—
including a language code for audio—should be confirmed as required. The PIDs
identified here and in the PMT must be the same for the elements of an event/program.
Some deployed systems require separate manual setup, but PIDs assigned to a VC should
not change (unless there is a good reason).

Wutf / wbin

The WUTF PSIP data, per a post at the other forum, which I had quoted above, is configured incorrectly for 66-6/50-1. The only person that can fix the problem is an engineer with access to the encoder settings at the WUTF transmitter or master control.

Many TV's apparently have decoders with sufficient built-in error correction to deal with the error. The rest are doing odd things, such as displaying a blank screen. It may be hard to get to the right person at the station, and that may not be a local employee always there.

This is the quote from the poster who had found the PSIP problem - "TVCT has incorrect PIDs listed in the Service Location descriptor for WBIN (0131 and 0134). The correct PIDs are listed in the PMT 0080 (0081 and 0084)."

From an ATSC specs document:

BASIC PSIP REQUIREMENTS FOR BROADCASTERS
The three main tables (VCT, EIT, STT) contain information to facilitate suitably equipped
receivers to find the components needed to present a program (event). Although receivers are
expected to use stored information to speed channel acquisition, sometimes parameters must
change and the VCT is the table that must be accurate each instant as it provides the actual
connection path.

The Virtual Channel Table, also referred to as the Terrestrial VCT (TVCT), contains a list of
all the channels that are or will be on-line, plus their attributes. Among the attributes given are
the channel name and channel number. This table is critically important as it contains the set of
data that enables a receiver to tune and locate the service being broadcast. The VCT is essentially
a list containing information about each service that a broadcaster creates or has announced that
it will be created within the DTV major channel assignment, as well as information about the
broadcaster’s associated analog channel.

Service Location Descriptor (SLD). The contents of each component of the programs—
including a language code for audio—should be confirmed as required. The PIDs
identified here and in the PMT must be the same for the elements of an event/program.
Some deployed systems require separate manual setup, but PIDs assigned to a VC should
not change (unless there is a good reason).

Just noticed that WBIN 50-1 is now AntennaTV. Not sure when they did that - because there were only infomercials when I checked before. The 480i signal is fine for that. This is the first time that AntennaTV will be receivable OTA in all or nearly all of the Boston market, assuming they fix the PSIP problem.

(Sorry about the duplicate post above - the server had appeared to time out the first time.)

Just noticed that WBIN 50-1 is now AntennaTV. Not sure when they did that - because there were only infomercials when I checked before. The 480i signal is fine for that. This is the first time that AntennaTV will be receivable OTA in all or nearly all of the Boston market, assuming they fix the PSIP problem.

(Sorry about the duplicate post above - the server had appeared to time out the first time.)

I just checked and the PSIP issue is still not fixed - the station is not displaying a picture or sound still as mentioned above on many converter boxes and TV sets.

It appears that maybe they finally fixed the problem! I'm getting 50.1 on both my converter boxes now and I had to re-scan on the one that I was getting it on.

Looks like the issue is corrected now, all my tv's and boxes pick up the signal and programming with a strong signal. Maybe the new owners will reaffiliate with antenna tv.

Looks like the issue is corrected now, all my tv's and boxes pick up the signal and programming with a strong signal. Maybe the new owners will reaffiliate with antenna tv.
Yup, fixed here, too.
As for AntennaTV, if you look at WBINĘĽs Zap2It listing (Zap2It still shows listings for 50.1, 50.2 and 50.3), you will see that 50.1 and 50.2 are // with AntennaTV most of the day.

Yup, fixed here, too.
As for AntennaTV, if you look at WBINĘĽs Zap2It listing (Zap2It still shows listings for 50.1, 50.2 and 50.3), you will see that 50.1 and 50.2 are // with AntennaTV most of the day.

The Zenith set-top box that would not decode 50-1 for me is working now, also.

It's possible the WBIN translators are still running with all 3 subchannels. They have different ownership.

WBIN (or whatever the call letters are changed to) may only be running the non-AntennaTV programs that came with the license sale, and are probably paid for already.

Today, the picture on 50.1 is all scrambled. The picture was fine around 5 am, but now at 11 am, it's all messed up on all my converter boxes. I hope they get past these technical issues soon. I'm enjoying finally being able to watch Antenna TV, even if it's a somewhat limited schedule, as well as Family Guy reruns again. I wish WBIN-TV had put up a translator in the immediate Boston area years ago.

Today, the picture on 50.1 is all scrambled. The picture was fine around 5 am, but now at 11 am, it's all messed up on all my converter boxes. I hope they get past these technical issues soon. I'm enjoying finally being able to watch Antenna TV, even if it's a somewhat limited schedule, as well as Family Guy reruns again. I wish WBIN-TV had put up a translator in the immediate Boston area years ago.

It seems like they've fixed the issue at some point within the last hour!

I wish WBIN-TV had put up a translator in the immediate Boston area years ago.
How could they put a xltr around Boston? WBIN is (was) a Derry NH station—I was never able to get even a trace of it, up here on the Nortb Shore! :confused:

How could they put a xltr around Boston? WBIN is (was) a Derry NH station—I was never able to get even a trace of it, up here on the Nortb Shore! :confused:

Why couldn't they have? They're part of the Boston market. They were our MyNetworkTV affiliate for a while. They can claim must-carry on cable systems throughout the entire market.

Why couldn't they have? They're part of the Boston market. They were our MyNetworkTV affiliate for a while. They can claim must-carry on cable systems throughout the entire market.

WBIN's analog signal covered much more of the market. It was watchable, though not perfect, in my location a bit south of the Needham towers. I remember some of the quirky shows they had back then. The signal was just a shade under the 5 megawatt UHF analog limit, but their DTV signal was a tiny 7.5 kilowatts - the only station in the market to significantly reduce coverage at the DTV transition.

I'm enjoying it, too. Unfortunately, Antenna TV has posted on its Facebook (several times) that its programming on 50.1 will only continue "for a few weeks". Univision is going to change the call letters at some point, per their buyout deal with Bill Binnie, and I imagine they will change the format of the station at that point as well.

I'm enjoying it, too. Unfortunately, Antenna TV has posted on its Facebook (several times) that its programming on 50.1 will only continue "for a few weeks". Univision is going to change the call letters at some point, per their buyout deal with Bill Binnie, and I imagine they will change the format of the station at that point as well.

WUTF may not yet have the facilities needed to program another channel - this could be coming from the remains of WBIN right now, as part of the sale. If they do continue with AntennaTV, they would probably have to negotiate a new agreement.

Yeah, I know. :( I'm making the most of it while it lasts. I can receive WJAR from Providence, and I'm wondering, if the Sinclair-Tribune merger goes through, whether they might eventually replace MeTV on 10.2 with Antenna TV.

WUTF may not yet have the facilities needed to program another channel - this could be coming from the remains of WBIN right now, as part of the sale. If they do continue with AntennaTV, they would probably have to negotiate a new agreement.

I believe you're right in that, although the channel sharing arrangement has begun, I don't think the actual sale of the WBIN-TV license to Univision has been completed yet. So this is "the remains of WBIN right now." I think it is expected that, once the sale is finalized, Univision does intend to dump Antenna TV.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom