• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any updates on Channel 53 in Galesburg?

Here are some other options for channel 8/53:

- AccuWeather (previously on WQAD)
- America One (previously on WBQD)
- AMG TV
- Bounce TV
- Retro Television Network (previously on WHBF)
- The Cool TV
- The Country Network

I'd also include NBC Plus, but we already have an NBC station. And Universal Sports is no longer an option, either. As for other programming (some of which I've mentioned before):

- 'Beakman's World' [E/I] (previously on KLJB)
- Chicago Bulls (NBA) Games (previously on WBQD)
- Independent News Network syndicated newscast (INN produced Fox 18 News 'til 9/5/2010)
- Local news either produced by INN, another QC TV station, or outside "sister station"
- 'Mystery Hunters' [E/I] (previously on KLJB/KGCW; also on WHBF 4.2)
- 'Newsradio' (previously on KLJB; aired briefly on WHBF in 2010; also on WQAD 8.2)
- St. Louis Cardinals Baseball (previously on KGCW)
- 'South Park' (previously on KLJB)
- 'Steven & Chris' (also on WHBF 4.2)
- 'The Electric Playground'
- 'Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?' [E/I]

I'd put Cubs and White Sox on this list, expect that both teams aired on Antenna TV 8.2, so I suspect that both teams will be seen on that channel again this year.

Also, I remember from the 2001 articles that we were promised televisings of QC Steamwheelers and Iowa Hawkeyes games (although that's no longer possible). The station was also supposed to air syndicated shows like 'Cheers', 'Fresh Prince', and 'Star Trek Voyager' as well as UPN shows. Now it'll hafta find other programming to air. Please let me know if there's any other available programs that I might've missed...

UPDATE: ME-TV has officially been ruled out as a possibility for channel 8/53, as it will air on KGCW 26.3 next Tuesday...

UPDATE: Looks like ME-TV Quad Cities is finally on the air. You can catch it on either KLJB 18.3 or KGCW 26.3...

One sitcom ruled out as possibility

UPDATE: I don't think anyone-- even me-- included 'The King Of Queens' as a possibility. However, that's no longer the case as My 8.3 made some schedule changes this week, including the addition of the former CBS sitcom which now can be seen weekdays at 4pm

Time is running out!

Uh-oh. Time is running out for channel 8/53. The owner(s) had best move it and hurry things along if they want the station on the air. 'Twas my understanding that the CP is set to expire sometime in July 2012. That's less than two months away!!

August 16, 2012 is the expiration date.

- Trip

With only two months left before the CP expires, here are some other show options the station could air:

A. 'Animal Tails' [E/I]
B. 'Coach' (previously on KLJB and WQAD)
C. 'Danger Rangers' [E/I]
D. 'Edgemont' [E/I] (five times a week)
E. 'Exploration With Richard Wiese' [E/I] (x2)
F. 'Go For It!' [E/I]
G. 'Mystery Hunters' [E/I] (previously on KLJB/KGCW)
H. 'The World's Funniest Moments' (previously on My Network TV and WBQD)

Of course, F is also on WHBF 4.2, and I don't know if it's the same ep as the syndicated telecast. And you can see D on ME-TV's Sunday morning lineup. Also, KWQC 6.2 has acquired some new EI programs, so those are no longer available...

Perhaps this station will sign on after all. They were assigned call letters earlier this month - WMWC.

dhett said:
Perhaps this station will sign on after all. They were assigned call letters earlier this month - WMWC.

You beat me to it, Dave...I noticed this too and didn't want to say anything to avoid giving Iowan any false hope! :D

I didn't know that-- so the station now has call letters. Now let's hope that WMWC signs on within the next two months!

Scott Fybush said:
dhett said:

You beat me to it, Dave...I noticed this too and didn't want to say anything to avoid giving Iowan any false hope! :D

Gotta admit, I wasn't optimistic, either. Too many things going against it: CP expiring in August, no call letters, station owner address maps to residence in Tampa Bay area, small market, netlets being taken by other local stations, etc.

Still no guarantees, but it's a step in the right direction.

Could be worse - they could be owned by KM Communications.

Say, wasn't a station from Cedar Rapids supposed to manage WMWC? Will that still be the case when the station signs on the air?

Iowan said:
Say, wasn't a station from Cedar Rapids supposed to manage WMWC? Will that still be the case when the station signs on the air?

Possibly. Northwest Television got a loan from Second Generation of Iowa in order to build the station. Second Generation of Iowa is the licensee of KFXA 28.x Cedar Rapids - that's Sinclair.

Here's something to chew on - please note that it's completely fact-free - but KFXA is the Fox affiliate in Cedar Rapids. KLJB 18.x Davenport is the Fox affiliate in the Quad Cities, and filed an unsuccessful petition to block grant of the CP to Northwest Television. IS KLJB afraid of losing their affiliation? Just sayin'.

Does KFXA air local news? Maybe they could produce news for WMWC unless they use another station for news.

The petition did delay the station for a decade now, and I'm sure KLJB would still be Fox 18 as WMWC was supposed to be UPN...

Only one month left before the CP expires. I wonder how the construction on WMWC's antenna tower is coming along...

Iowan said:
Only one month left before the CP expires. I wonder how the construction on WMWC's antenna tower is coming along...

They're going on an existing tower, WQAD-TV's. Of course, WQAD once had a channel 8 antenna on that tower for their analog operation -- and it's very likely the old WQAD analog antenna is still there & available for WMWC's use.

It's still a pretty big operation to get a new station on the air. But if the tower & antenna are already there, it's a lot less big than it would be otherwise.

I've been told the channel 8 antenna is gone and they're having to install a new one.

- Trip

Here's my question: Will they be able to finish within one month or less? (The CP expires one month from today...)

Apparently, KFXA does NOT air it's own local news, but rather gets it from KGAN like KLJB gets it from WQAD. Also, KGAN carries The Cool TV while KFXA carries The Country Network. Maybe we'll get lucky and get BOTH!!

CP expires in 10 days!!

Let's hope the working crew can get the WMWC tower up in 10 days as the CP will expire next Thursday!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom