• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any stations still running this format?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned CFZM 740 AM out of Toronto. Zoomer Radio.

They tend to lean pretty heavily on true oldies. Not a bad listen. I hear them as a regular visitor in Central VA all the time.

oldies76 said:
andreajesus said:
Tierra AND Chicago on ONE station? WOW!

"Together" from late 1980 is such a good song!! A Classic!
It hit #1 in Los Angeles late that year either on KHJ or KRTH
Nationally #18 in early '81.

Was #2 for at least four weeks on KRLA behind the monster hit Another One Bites The Dust. Not sure if it reached #1 though, or how well it did on KFI, where it debuted the week that KHJ flipped to country.

I found this song listing of L.A. #1 songs last year from KRTH that they used to feature back in the mid 1980's and Tierra is listed in 1980 at #1.....but I'm not exactly sure which chart was used for that year (since KHJ switched to country).

KHJ was used for the majority and KRTH had its own rankings in the early-mid 80's.

http://crl.ucsd.edu/~buff/krth/

and for KRTH radio surveys check this link out:

http://las-solanas.com/arsa/surveys_item.php?svid=8727&lidx=21&lttl=22&lcnt=20&srt1=tsc_psv DESC&vqry=krth

oldies76 said:
I found this song listing of L.A. #1 songs last year from KRTH that they used to feature back in the mid 1980's and Tierra is listed in 1980 at #1.....but I'm not exactly sure which chart was used for that year (since KHJ switched to country).

KHJ was used for the majority and KRTH had its own rankings in the early-mid 80's.

http://crl.ucsd.edu/~buff/krth/

and for KRTH radio surveys check this link out:

http://las-solanas.com/arsa/surveys_item.php?svid=8727&lidx=21&lttl=22&lcnt=20&srt1=tsc_psv DESC&vqry=krth

I was in California during New Years 1980 and I remember hearing "Tierra" as the number one song of the year on KRTH. Not being a Californian, when I heard them play it my reaction was "what the heck is that song?"

Dave Andrews said:
oldies76 said:
andreajesus said:
Tierra AND Chicago on ONE station? WOW!

"Together" from late 1980 is such a good song!! A Classic!
It hit #1 in Los Angeles late that year either on KHJ or KRTH
Nationally #18 in early '81.

Was #2 for at least four weeks on KRLA behind the monster hit Another One Bites The Dust. Not sure if it reached #1 though, or how well it did on KFI, where it debuted the week that KHJ flipped to country.
Tierra peaked at #18 with "Together".....the original version in 1967 by the Intruders didn't crack the hot100. Probably charted on the Soul Charts??

hornet61 said:
Tierra peaked at #18 with "Together".....the original version in 1967 by the Intruders didn't crack the hot100. Probably charted on the Soul Charts??

According to Top Pop Singles, the Intruders "Together" peaked at #48 in '67.
On the R&B charts, it reached #9

Interestingly "Cowboys To Girls" also had a line that Tierra referenced for their song, "Together" :)

Denver has a Lincoln Financial-owned outfit simulcasting on 950 AM & 103.1 FM, specializing in '60s hits. Both signals are weak; can't recall hearing songs from the '50s.

Hi there folks. My name is Sam, and I am webmaster of a website called
Audioldies
which specializes in oldies of the fifties and sixties but we also present much older oldies as well, swing and big band oldies and even oldies from the twenties and before. I am trying to gather up as many of the best audio streams of fifties and sixties oldies available on the net, which also includes doo-wop and R&B material from the same time period. That is, audio streams of commercial and non-commercial radio stations that stream their audio on the net, and Internet only streams as well that feature the widest playlists of oldies. I would really appreciate it if any of you that have the time or inclination would check my
audio streams section of the links page
and if you see that there are any omissions of outstanding oldies stations or streams, please get back to me via my
Audioldies contact form
with the details, and I will gladly add the station you mentioned to my audio streams links page. Thanks very much for your help in advance.

Sam, Audioldies Webmaster

Hi again folks. This is Sam here again. I'd like to thank Chuck Conrad of KZWX in Chalk Hill Texas for letting me know about his very interesting FM station which plays a mix of nastalgia and early rock oldies, and you can listen to the station's audio stream
right here.

I have added a link to your station to the Audioldies audio streams page, as well as the WIXY 1260 in Cleveland re-creation audio stream as well.

Sam, Audioldies Webmaster

There has actually been more oldies stations popping up lately in smaller towns and cities on both the AM and FM side which is cool to see.

I am PD and Morning Host of Kool 107.5 AM & FM in Albuquerque, we have been gettting a great response to our Mix of 60's, 50's & 70's a Kool traditional blend of oldies www.cool1075.com

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom