• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any standards stations playing "Every Breath You Take"?

dgendvil said:
I know "Breath" can likely be heard on K-Jewel 99.3 in Fresno, which is standards/soft oldies & "The River" from Grand Rapids which is somewhat standards.

Actually, 100.5 The River (WTRV) in Grand Rapids is mainstream AC and has been for the past year or so. Since 2008, it has evolved from easy listening/standards to soft AC and is now mainstream AC. And yes... they would still play "Every Breath You Take". But now they're in all-Christmas mode.

RBW said:
vchimpanzee said:
I hate that "Mr. Lucky" keeps getting pushed farther and farther toward 9:00. Before you know it, it'll be completely gone. It always starts on time but that's during a commercial so we don't hear that part. But I suppose I should be grateful for more commercials.

Pushed ??? Well, it always ends right at 9. When it starts is usually while he's wrapping up the show, then fades into it. The ads usually seem to end around 8:56/57.
This is weird. You may also know his first song for the final hour every day is "Nothing But the Best", but not when it's all-Christmas. Well, that WAS playing Monday at the appropriate time. But Jeff Rollins was the DJ! I was so :mad: when Mike Huckabee didn't come on. The music's actually better if it's not local ("Proud Mary" by CCR yesterday at 8;29) but I tune in for Mike. I got the show I missed this morning online, but his people do a poor job. I have yet to hear shows I missed while at the beach in October, and the list skips a bunch I missed due to interference late in November. I'm still not getting perfect results and it'll probably get worse as sunrise gets later.

vchimpanzee said:
The music's actually better if it's not local ("Proud Mary" by CCR yesterday at 8;29) but I tune in for Mike.

How about Springsteen's "Born in the USA" this morning!!! :eek: (around 8:40) -- which came right after "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden". I just about fell off my chair!

Consider what "standard" really means. That name was originally applied to songs that were so popular and well known that many live performers included it in their repertoire. In the days before LP's, most performers made the bulk of their living playing live in clubs, concert halls, or on the radio. And, few performers wrote their own songs in those days. The songs by Gershwin, Irving Berlin, and other composers of popular songs became "standards" because every performer was expected to know them. All of that has changed, but there are still some newer songs that live performers who frequently sing material that others have written are expected to know. McCartney's "Yesterday" is now a standard.

I recall that back in the 1960's, when lounge-act singers were making their last stand, and performers like John Davidson, Robert Goulet, Sergio Franchi, Bobby Darin, Wayne Newton, and all of the other handsome, tuxedo-clad "Vegas" acts were attempting to follow the footsteps of Sinatra, Martin, Bennett, and the greats of the 1950's, you'd hear lots of pop and rock songs covered with Nelson Riddle style accompaniment on the TV variety shows that were common in the 60's. Often, the results were more comical than anything else, but sometimes a rock song would actually sound good as part of a lounge act. Much of Neil Diamond's stuff worked well in that context. I can imagine "Every Breath You Take" working in Branson, Missouri as part of Bobby Vinton's act.

With the comeback of lounge music as a resurgent genre that's finding a new audience who either is into "retro" or else who genuinely likes that kind of music regardless of when it was popular in the past, we should be hearing even more rock and pop classics turning into "standards". The thing about those songs getting on the radio is that the suits programming stations might be convinced that "Every Breath You Take" is now a standard as a song, but fail to realize that to fit on a standards station format, it should be a cover of the original performed by a "standards" singer, like Michael Buble or Harry Connick, Jr.

RBW said:
vchimpanzee said:
The music's actually better if it's not local ("Proud Mary" by CCR yesterday at 8;29) but I tune in for Mike.

How about Springsteen's "Born in the USA" this morning!!! :eek: (around 8:40) -- which came right after "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden". I just about fell off my chair!
I was going to post this! What is the man thinking? I don't care if it is an all-request show. How many complaints do you suppose he got? Probalby none since his son used to fill in for him and played worse garbage than that.

I had to change stations for the duration. This shouldn't be happening.

The other day after the announcement of the "Name That Tune" winner "And I Love Her So" by Perry Como started in the middle. I ended up hearing the singers do a station ID and then there was Jeff Rollins and a commercial break. I don't get it. Did no one request songs for the six-pack? And of course I arrived at my destination before "Mr. Lucky", which probably wasn't on under the circumstances. Better music than usual, though.

What really amazes me is the time I heard "Nothing But the Best" at the right time played by JEFF.

vchimpanzee said:
The other day after the announcement of the "Name That Tune" winner "And I Love Her So" by Perry Como started in the middle. I ended up hearing the singers do a station ID and then there was Jeff Rollins and a commercial break. I don't get it. Did no one request songs for the six-pack? And of course I arrived at my destination before "Mr. Lucky", which probably wasn't on under the circumstances. Better music than usual, though.

What really amazes me is the time I heard "Nothing But the Best" at the right time played by JEFF.

Really! I either wasn't listening or more than likely wasn't paying attention.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom