• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any resources on sales commission information and how much to expect?

Kataka

Inactive
Inactive User
Hello everyone-
Any good advice with this would be appreciated.

Although I've been in sales for many years and have sold many different things, I am completely a newbie with radio ad sales. I just got an offer to start doing sales for a unique Los Angeles radio show about "Sacred Sexuality". More like a spiritual-tantra-yoga -positive-type of talk show with authentic information that will help people, instead of shock them. In fact, the exact opposite of Howard Stern--so no shock-jock-frat-boy stuff at all. Really, a very positive,down-to earth show.

I am so new at this sales genre that I really have no idea what type of commission I would ask for?

Since I would be in charge of all sales and would build a sales team on my own, I am wondering what to ask for: 20% ? 25% ?30% of each sale? More?

Or, are there any type of websites with percentages of what to expect in terms of sales fees I would charge?

Since this will only be a weekly, 1 hour show, we plan on doing 15 minutes of ads. I'll be getting 15 advertisers for 1 minute ads at $300-$500 a minute and do a 12-16 week commitment for each.
That is what the manager of the show wants. I have no idea if that is even feasible in this market.

Any positive explanations for advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

K.

I am in the same situation. What have you learned? I thought many commercials were sold per 30 sec. spots, vs 1 minute?

1. On a project like this, get cash up front...at least 50% of the contract value
2. Don't plan on any renewals.
3. Ask for half, settle on 20-25%. The host needs to pay the station for the time, and make a buck too.
4. good luck.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom