• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ANY CLEAR CHANNEL CASUALTIES IN GSO/RDU?

:(*Frankie Darcell (WMXD afternoons)
*Jag (955 middays)
*Dan Watkins (WNIC mornings)
*Jenna Cork (WNIC mornings)
*Kristin Burns (WNIC afternoons and The D APD)
*Danielle Carr (WNIC weekends)
*Dahmer (The D afternoons)
*Eric Chase (WDFN afternoons

Not our market, but I heard of these, Goat!

I hate to say this but Clear Channel has done this before with little regard of human life. I would rather flip burgers or bus tables for a living than associate myself with that company. I have worked in radio for many years and have never seen a company with so little compassion. Nevertheless, it may come home to them in a relative short of period of time. Clear Channel is up to their necks in debt and notes are starting to come due. One could say that they had to lay off to pay some debts. I say that they got greedy and got way over their heads. The bottom line is the economy will probably get worst before it gets better which is not welcoming news for them and anybody else. Another point; regardless if FT/PT...STAY AWAY FROM CLEAR CHANNEL. There are other companies and opportunities.

It's a shame CBS Radio is only in Charlotte, I know someone that works in Charlotte only Part-Time, they make a great wage considering the hours they work and it's literally the ONLY stable company left in the business.

Clear Channel will eventually blow up, Cumulus is the latest debt ridden mess of a company and they took over unprofitable messes all around the nation, Curtis Media is in shambles from what I understand and they're notorious for basically paying people food stamp wages, and other local groups can't pay anything either.

As much as people want to rail on the "Corporate" side of radio, you do need some sort of corporate stability to make a living. The little mom and pop radio operations only make enough money for the owner. Everyone else, INCLUDING sales, is practically a volunteer.

stafferman said:
It's a shame CBS Radio is only in Charlotte, I know someone that works in Charlotte only Part-Time, they make a great wage considering the hours they work and it's literally the ONLY stable company left in the business.

Clear Channel will eventually blow up, Cumulus is the latest debt ridden mess of a company and they took over unprofitable messes all around the nation, Curtis Media is in shambles from what I understand and they're notorious for basically paying people food stamp wages, and other local groups can't pay anything either.

As much as people want to rail on the "Corporate" side of radio, you do need some sort of corporate stability to make a living. The little mom and pop radio operations only make enough money for the owner. Everyone else, INCLUDING sales, is practically a volunteer.

CBS Radio will stay around because it's part of one of the largest media companies in the world. I would absolutely love to work for them, as they absolutely get radio. I would love for them to buy one or two stations in Raleigh, but they intend to stay in bigger markets. I think they learned their lesson from the buying extravaganza by CC and Cumulus and said "No way we're doing that!"

On the flip-side, Clear Channel does seem to be on the road to bankruptcy. With the way they expanded, and the depreciation in value their stations have, I expect a chapter 11 by 2016. And when that happens, there will be many a transmitter turned off or sold to try and salvage the company. The recent bloodletting is proof that the company is in pretty serious trouble.

And when that happens, there will be many a transmitter turned off

That's exactly what will happen too...Nobody wants to finance Clear Channel anymore and I think the jig is up with them, I think in the end they will be getting rid of all of their radio properties but they will try and hold onto to Premiere Syndication and keep some of their national personalities locked into contracts.

The idiotic decisions they make like pulling Rush/Hannity off WSJS to make Rush Radio 94.5...I can almost guarantee they made more money and it was a better investment to keep Rush on stations like WSJS instead of creating "Rush Radio" failures around the country.

But you're right, when the s**t hits the fan in a few years when their debt becomes insurmountable, they will be dumping stations left and right. Hopefully there will be some investors that can take it over and do it the right way but it will take some seriously good work from extremely dedicated people.

This is so sad for those who have lost jobs..CC is paying the price for years of pure greed and little reguard for radio as an industry and people as humans with families and those just trying to make a living. When it becomes all about money and little else it usually comes back to bite you in the butt..Maybe this will lead to a few local owners who can give talented people a fair wage for good work..What a concept huh???

RBRadioWaves said:
stafferman said:

It's not a big secret that Cumulus and CBS are working on some projects together but there's more beneath the surface. Cumulus would love to buy CBS and Les Moonves would love to sell it....for the right price. Don't be surprised if a purchase comes down soon.

CBS Radio will stay around because it's part of one of the largest media companies in the world. I would absolutely love to work for them, as they absolutely get radio. I would love for them to buy one or two stations in Raleigh, but they intend to stay in bigger markets. I think they learned their lesson from the buying extravaganza by CC and Cumulus and said "No way we're doing that!"

On the flip-side, Clear Channel does seem to be on the road to bankruptcy. With the way they expanded, and the depreciation in value their stations have, I expect a chapter 11 by 2016. And when that happens, there will be many a transmitter turned off or sold to try and salvage the company. The recent bloodletting is proof that the company is in pretty serious trouble.

stafferman said:

I agree that CBS is better than CC BUT I worked at one of the CBS stations in Charlotte part-time and the wage is nothing to brag about. There are other warts as well but they do have a great staff of people. The best thing is, they did not try to get me to sign a non-compete for part-time like CC did. I told CC No way.

Orlando's CBS Station is not so hot either! ;D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom