• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any CHR's play "Try That In A Small Town"?

Or the people from the biggest town who jumped on cars and created general disorder in New York City last week to win a gaming console? Crowd behavior of that kind can happen, almost spontaneously sometime... or worse when provoked by some kind of injustice... in any populated area.

And the same can be said about several parking lot riots at Dodger Stadium in LA in recent years. Again, anonymous crowds in big cities where "nobody knows my name" can happen anywhere and with any kind of people.
We really comparing storming our nation's capital to a Twitch streamer's event getting a little out of hand? Really?

Back to the question of the thread, you find me a CHR targeting men, you might find them playing it at some point. Until then, I highly doubt it.

Our CHR KTYL, deep in the ♥ of East Texas, is playing both "Last Night" by Morgan Wallen and "Fast Car" by Luke Combs in heavy rotation, but I have never heard "Try That in a Small Town" once. If it ain't making an appearance here, it's hard to believe any CHR anywhere is.
Yeah, I'm (sort of) of the opinion that unless there is no country station in a given market, there really is no need to play it. After all, we can listen to it on youtube, which I still haven't done yet.

We really comparing storming our nation's capital to a Twitch streamer's event getting a little out of hand? Really?
No worse than setting up a "chop zone" in the middle of a major American city, looting, pillaging, and burning down people's businesses, while declaring it a free for all to do whatever the hell these individuals wanted.

Try that in any town, large or small, in Texas.

Yes, really. You missed my point, entirely, which is to say that demonstrations of any kind can get out of control anywhere but particularly in larger cities where there is a feeling of being unknown and anonymous.

Yes, really. You missed my point, entirely, which is to say that demonstrations of any kind can get out of control anywhere but particularly in larger cities where there is a feeling of being unknown and anonymous.

That may be the feeling, but with everybody posting video on the internet, these things are less anonymous. Most of the capitol rioters were caught from their own Facebook video. The fact is that personal video and social media have made even small towns and remote areas available to everyone. TMZ posts celebrity video of big stars on vacation at private spas and remote jungles. It doesn't matter where you are.

Unknown, and anonymous.....and posting all over social media under their real names. Got it.

You kind of missed my point, which is a spur of the moment situation getting out of hand like a Twitch streamer underestimating turnout for an unplanned event with little to no support, to something that was planned and built up to like the attack on the Capitol (which if you still think was a "spur-of-the-moment" thing, you haven't been paying attention) is not comparable.

Last edited:
That may be the feeling, but with everybody posting video on the internet, these things are less anonymous. Most of the capitol rioters were caught from their own Facebook video. The fact is that personal video and social media have made even small towns and remote areas available to everyone. TMZ posts celebrity video of big stars on vacation at private spas and remote jungles. It doesn't matter where you are.
True, but I'll bet that in the emotion of the moment, most of those people forget that there are all kinds of videos being recorded, ranging from smartphones to dashboard cams to security cameras.

Why risk playing it and offending listeners on a CHR? On the other hand, I could see golden oldies "Sunny FM" WOCL in Orlando playing it on their right-wing morning drive show.

True, but I'll bet that in the emotion of the moment, most of those people forget that there are all kinds of videos being recorded, ranging from smartphones to dashboard cams to security cameras.

Obviously. Hoisted on their own petard. Same with the celebrities. But that's the fallacy of the song.

They forget? Many of those at the Capitol riot were using their own phones to record video while smashing stuff.
Talk about a trail of evidence. Dumb & Dumber.

Getting back to the song in question -- It just offers a simpleton's view of justice. The LA Riots (When the police that brutalized Rodney King were acquitted) were understandable. That was years of rage being unleashed. It was definitely wrong and tragic, but the fuse was lit.

The Capitol rioters were just Trump Luddites following instructions based on lies. Totally different circumstances, but carnage is always the result. The song revels in it...

January 6 was not spur of the moment. It was planned and orchestrated.

That aside, there are no major recording artists penning songs defending the demonstrations in cities in the wake of things like the George Floyd murder. There is, however, one opining about vigilante “justice” dished out by the good ol’ boys.

I still recall watching this episode of "Top Gear" that aired about a decade ago. Their "challenge" was to paint pro-gay, anti-Nascar and similar language on their vehicles and drive through Alabama (or some such - it's been years since I viewed this since it first aired). From the accents of the guys on this show, they're obviously Brits. Maybe they didn't understand how seriously folks in the deep south take Nascar and how deeply their anti-LGBTQ+ hatred runs, but these guys are lucky they didn't get shot. This episode epitomizes what "Try That in a Small Town" truly means in many parts of the USA, including sections the south and some square states:

As the boys (and the film crew) will now admit, this is the scariest challenge they ever faced in the history of the show. "Survival Challenge in Alabama": Drive through Alabama with offensive slogans painted on their cars and try not to get killed. Things are tense on the highway, then reach boiling point at a gas station.

I still recall watching this episode of "Top Gear" that aired about a decade ago. Their "challenge" was to paint pro-gay, anti-Nascar language on their vehicles and drive through Alabama (or some such - it's been years since I viewed this since it first aired). From the accents of the guys on this show, they're obviously Brits. Maybe they didn't understand how seriously folks in the deep south take Nascar and how deeply their anti-LGBTQ+ hatred runs, but these guys are lucky they didn't get shot. This episode epitomizes what "Try That in a Small Town" truly means in many parts of the USA, including sections the south and some square states:

Watch "Easy Rider" again. Remember what happened to Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Jack Nicholson's characters?
And those were White guys. Another great line in "Deliverance" is when Jon Voight says "Don't play games with these people". True, those were just movies. They do represent some accuracy on what an outsider can face in Small Town USA...

Watch "Easy Rider" again. Remember what happened to Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Jack Nicholson's characters?
And those were White guys. Another great line in "Deliverance" is when Jon Voight says "Don't play games with these people". True, those were just movies. They do represent some accuracy on what an outsider can face in Small Town USA...
Those are movies, not documentaries. Movies often take anecdotal happenings and emphasize or exaggerate the more sordid elements. Again, these references are to movies and are made up stories.

Next, you will be drawing real world parallels with "The Addams Family". Or "Twilight".

In the latest Billboard Hot 100, Try That In a Small Town has dropped from #1 to #21. Looks like the thrill is gone.
Sales and streaming, yes. Airplay, no. Still among the biggest gainers day to day. This may indicate that the song is still connecting with established country radio listeners after the merely curious have had their fill on Spotify and YouTube. I look at the comments on the various YouTube postings of this song and see a lot of "I don't listen to country music but this slaps!" These are people who weren't listening to country radio and had no idea who Aldean was before the video controversy exploded, and I doubt that one song has made country radio listeners out of them since. If I had to guess, I would imagine most of them prefer active rock or classic rock and have returned to those radio stations full time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom