• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Antenna TV and RetroTV have come (back) to Boston

Both are on WCRN. AntennaTV is on 31.6 and RetroTV is on 31.4. There is a country music network, Heartland, on 31.5.

Last edited:
Did they change their transmitter power or location? I could receive the station until about late March, when they possibly shut down. Now I cannot receive the signal, and I live east of Providence next to the MA-RI state line.

They were scheduled to move to the transmitter to Quincy - that’s likely what has happened (they were previously in Foxboro).

They were scheduled to move to the transmitter to Quincy - that’s likely what has happened (they were previously in Foxboro).

I have also lost them here in Somerville, and reception of them here was often either intermittent, or all broken up, or all chopped up, before.

Have they also changed their RF channel? Because if they moved from Foxborough to Quincy, I should receive them better here, but I'm getting nothing. I guess I'll have to try a rescan for them.

I have also lost them here in Somerville, and reception of them here was often either intermittent, or all broken up, or all chopped up, before.

Have they also changed their RF channel? Because if they moved from Foxborough to Quincy, I should receive them better here, but I'm getting nothing. I guess I'll have to try a rescan for them.

The strongest signal direction, from my location south of the Needham towers, is now much further east, so they have moved. The RF channel is still 30. The encoding is not right - they have two programs mapped to 31-1, among other things - a rescan might help. Per the signal maps at RabbitEars.info, the move mainly improved the signal strength in the central Boston area, Cambridge, Quincy, etc., and unfortunately - the Atlantic ocean. There is, and was, a deep null to the E -SE, probably protecting WEDH in CT.

The strongest signal direction, from my location south of the Needham towers, is now much further east, so they have moved. The RF channel is still 30. The encoding is not right - they have two programs mapped to 31-1, among other things - a rescan might help. Per the signal maps at RabbitEars.info, the move mainly improved the signal strength in the central Boston area, Cambridge, Quincy, etc., and unfortunately - the Atlantic ocean. There is, and was, a deep null to the E -SE, probably protecting WEDH in CT.

Looks like they're now on the communications tower at Quarry Hill where the 91.9 WUMB radio transmitter was moved to several years ago, as well as translators on 94.9 for 890 AM WAMG and for a Christian station on 102.1.

I still didn't get them in a scan yesterday. I'd think here in east Somerville near the McGrath Highway I should be in their lobe beaming toward Cambridge/Boston, and since I occasionally got them from Foxborough, I thought I'd get improved reception from Quincy.

Unfortunately I'm limited to using a Terk amplified indoor antenna. The landlord of the building I'm in won't allow outdoor antennas. I'm on the second floor on a fairly high elevation with open terrain to all directions but north, but I have to place the antenna right near a window to get much due to the thick stone building.

With all the subchannels, I still have 64 channels scanned in. It gets all the major channels from 128 Needham/Newton, Hudson, and the LP WCEA on the Hancock, 6 and 10 from Providence, and WLEK 22 from Peabody is iffy.

Last edited:
Looks like they're now on the communications tower at Quarry Hill where the 91.9 WUMB radio transmitter was moved to several years ago, as well as translators on 94.9 for 890 AM WAMG and for a Christian station on 102.1.

I still didn't get them in a scan yesterday. I'd think here in east Somerville near the McGrath Highway I should be in their lobe beaming toward Cambridge/Boston, and since I occasionally got them from Foxborough, I thought I'd get improved reception from Quincy.

Unfortunately I'm limited to using a Terk amplified indoor antenna. The landlord of the building I'm in won't allow outdoor antennas. I'm on the second floor on a fairly high elevation with open terrain to all directions but north, but I have to place the antenna right near a window to get much due to the thick stone building.

With all the subchannels, I still have 64 channels scanned in. It gets all the major channels from 128 Needham/Newton, Hudson, and the LP WCEA on the Hancock, 6 and 10 from Providence, and WLEK 22 from Peabody is iffy.

The McGrath Highway is in a green (strong signal) area for WCRN on the coverage map at Rabbit Ears.info (requires zooming in):
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour...qz=N&lprw=N&head=Y&asrn=&extras=&cir=&circen=

You must have strong reception to get chs 6 and 10 from Providence with the indoor antenna at your location, and ch 6 is not yet at their full ERP yet. Do you get any signal from chs 12, 36, 64?

I'm wondering if they might not be running full power from Quincy yet. Where I am on the south shore I'd think I should be able to get it when I point north, but there's been no sign of it.

You must have strong reception to get chs 6 and 10 from Providence with the indoor antenna at your location, and ch 6 is not yet at their full ERP yet. Do you get any signal from chs 12, 36, 64?

I've only gotten 12 and 64 very occasionally during certain conditions (summer "troppo" and occasionally other times), and since 12 moved its RF channel to 7, I haven't seen a trace of it. I've never gotten 36 (used to get a snowy faint trace of it back in the analog years, never on digital).

10 is almost always like a local. 6 is usually watchable but weaker, gets either broken up or chopped up at times. I lose it totally in overcast or rainy weather.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom