• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Another Blizzard/NFL Playoff

Bills game moved to 4:30 Monday at Highmark Stadium.
So no NFL football at all on over-the-air TV today. How does that exclusive Peacock deal look now to the network and its advertisers? Could Kansas City now follow suit and put off its night game in sub-zero cold and dangerous wind chill?

So no NFL football at all on over-the-air TV today. How does that exclusive Peacock deal look now to the network and its advertisers? Could Kansas City now follow suit and put off its night game in sub-zero cold and dangerous wind chill?
Browns vs Texans is on NBC. That is free.
Kansas City is not expecting heavy Lake Effect snow and 60 mph winds...

It was 2 degrees this morning in Yakima, wind chill of -6! Over in Montana, -30 or lower in many cities with wind chills -40 to -45. This arctic blast is nationwide - even Phoenix was near-freezing this morning. Most of us are bundling up and staying in. I don't blame the NFL for moving the Buffalo game after the impacts of the giant blizzard in December 2022. Don't need another repeat and infrastructure nightmare. The NWS is calling for multiple *FEET* of snow next week in Buffalo, after the rescheduled game (Wed into Thur).
I do Uber Eats and DoorDash on the side if I'm not subbing in the schools - and it was on fire last night. Even in a small market without 'rich areas' I made nearly $150 for about 4 hours of delivering food. I expect the same thing today and tonight, also Sunday. Tonight's low could be 0 to -5.
If anything, the giant snowfall in the Cascades and Rockies is AMAZING for water supply, snowpack, and skiing (well, once the blizzards and -30 wind chills fade away).

And yet here in Vermont, it's 42 and raining. We're supposed to get colder next week, but only high teens/low 20s, nothing like what's going on in Buffalo and points west.. This is pretty much what we were expected to see in an El Nino year, but it's pretty amazing to actually see it happening.

Yeah, NFL owners want taxpayers to pay for stadiums.
Detroit and Minnesota have Domes. The NFL had to move a Bills game to Detroit last year because the stadium was buried in over 5 feet of snow. Climate Change will cause more of these severe weather events. The Bills would be a logical team to move to London as the NFL expands its Empire. The league doesn't want a playoff game moved or rescheduled (Although they have in the past).

It's true that Football has been played in snow, rain, fog, and wind for decades. It's different when the severity of the weather makes travel impossible and deadly...
A dome doesn't resolve the problem of fans braving bad weather to get to and from the stadium. Severe weather happens in many NFL markets - tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires, flooding, dangerous heat - there are a host of weather conditions that can threaten spectators. Add it travel issues getting teams to games along with the toll international travel takes on players and you're not going to find a team in London soon. If there is one, it won't be the Bills. They, NY state, and Erie County made sure of that in the agreements for building the new stadium.

A dome doesn't resolve the problem of fans braving bad weather to get to and from the stadium. Severe weather happens in many NFL markets - tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires, flooding, dangerous heat - there are a host of weather conditions that can threaten spectators. Add it travel issues getting teams to games along with the toll international travel takes on players and you're not going to find a team in London soon. If there is one, it won't be the Bills. They, NY state, and Erie County made sure of that in the agreements for building the new stadium.
Thanks. You answered the question "Whatever happened to the idea of Bills playing in Toronto at the Rogers centre for a few games".

Much easier than moving the game to a different location would be to postpone it for 24 hours to Monday, same time, since very little snow is expected then. Also, it's Martin Luther King Day, which means many people are off anyway--and/or don't have school.

Why even tempt a potential logistical and safety nightmare?
Look at me go.

Problem here in Houston is that the teams won’t open the retractable roof even in good weather, and the Texans have been most notorious for this. We can have a gorgeous fall or winter day with clear blue skies and temperature in the 50s or 60s……and the roof is closed. Ridiculous.😡
Is there a cost with opening the roof?

A dome doesn't resolve the problem of fans braving bad weather to get to and from the stadium.
No, but once inside it will be pleasant. Do fans still want to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars on tickets to be miserable? Minneapolis has enclosed walkways, so people can get around without being outside in bitter temperatures. They even hosted the Super Bowl there. That will never happen in Buffalo...

No, but once inside it will be pleasant. Do fans still want to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars on tickets to be miserable? Minneapolis has enclosed walkways, so people can get around without being outside in bitter temperatures. They even hosted the Super Bowl there. That will never happen in Buffalo...
Don't rule out the NYC area getting a Super Bowl again. It is New York, after all, and lots of high-rolling corporate executives will appreciate the easy ride from Darien, Short Hills or Scarsdale to open-air MetLife. The fans of the teams involved? Let 'em freeze.

Is there a cost with opening the roof?
Depends on the stadium, its age, system design and a few other factors. We had a similar discussion about baseball stadiums with retractable roofs a few months ago. Some claim it's a highly involved process that costs them thousands each time they open the roof, while others describe it as a simple push of a button, takes under 2 minutes to open and maybe a few dollars in power consumption to do so.

The odds of a Super Bowl in Buffalo were always very poor. We're too small a market and don't have the infrastructure to attract, feed, and house the high rollers in February. The NFL requires a city to have at least 25,000 hotel rooms available. The Buffalo/Niagara area is probably 20,000 rooms short of that requirement. Niagara Falls Canada would help, but the area still isn't close.

Green Bay has historic Lambeau Field. They'll never get a Super Bowl either. They did one Super Bowl in Minnesota. Don't hold your breath for another one. Here's the list of cities who have never hosted a Super Bowl:

• Baltimore Ravens
  • Buffalo Bills
  • Carolina Panthers
  • Chicago Bears
  • Cincinnati Bengals
  • Cleveland Browns
  • Denver Broncos
  • Green Bay Packers
  • Kansas City Chiefs
  • New England Patriots
  • Oakland Raiders
  • Philadelphia Eagles
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
  • Seattle Seahawks
  • Tennessee Titans
  • Washington Commanders

The places you listed are typically cold in February. The NFL isn't going to play a Super Bowl in an outdoor stadium at those locations. The game at the Meadowlands is the lone exception. The Raiders now play in Las Vegas, which is hosting the Super Bowl this year.

Minneapolis has actually hosted 2 Super Bowls(1992 and 2018). One in the Metrodome that you should remember. Washington crushed the Bills in that one...

Last edited:
The places you listed are typically cold in February. The NFL isn't going to play a Super Bowl in an outdoor stadium at those locations. The game at the Meadowlands is the lone exception. The Raiders now play in Las Vegas, which is hosting the Super Bowl this year.

Minneapolis has actually hosted 2 Super Bowls(1992 and 2018). One in the Metrodome that you should remember. Washington crushed the Bills in that one...
They did a Super Bowl in the Meadowlands in cold weather. That ain't the biggest problem. I don't care if the Bills build something bigger than Jimmy's arena in Dallas. They still ain't getting a Super Bowl. Aren't you the one who was b*tchin' about the cost of the new stadium as it is? Another half a billion was simply not in the cards. I know you just come here to stir stuff up, but try not to be completely absurd.

Problem here in Houston is that the teams won’t open the retractable roof even in good weather, and the Texans have been most notorious for this. We can have a gorgeous fall or winter day with clear blue skies and temperature in the 50s or 60s……and the roof is closed. Ridiculous.😡
That's strictly a McNair thing. Has it even been repaired? Because I believe it's been permanently closed since Ike damaged it in 2008. I can't recall an open air concert, game, or any event in the last 15 years that's been held outdoors At least, I haven't covered one. Jerry World, however, is open to the gods every time Jerry sees fit to have it that way.

That's strictly a McNair thing. Has it even been repaired? Because I believe it's been permanently closed since Ike damaged it in 2008. I can't recall an open air concert, game, or any event in the last 15 years that's been held outdoors At least, I haven't covered one. Jerry World, however, is open to the gods every time Jerry sees fit to have it that way.
It’s Jerrah’s world, and we all just live in it.

That's strictly a McNair thing. Has it even been repaired? Because I believe it's been permanently closed since Ike damaged it in 2008. I can't recall an open air concert, game, or any event in the last 15 years that's been held outdoors
The NRG Stadium roof is functional. When Bill O’Brien was the Texans coach he apparently insisted on the roof being closed regardless of weather. Since he got fired early in the 2020 season the roof has been open for a couple of games, but there are a few more occasions when the weather was favorable but the roof remained closed.

Having just driven back from Buffalo to Rochester in the freezing rain...

I think it's a little hysterical to predict that "people will die" getting to Sunday's game. The forecast, at least as of now, calls for no more than 14 inches of snow in the heaviest lake effect bands.

That's not anything like the multiple feet of snow that paralyzed parts of Buffalo in 2022. It's sloppy weather, it won't be fun to drive in, I'm certainly staying off the roads except to get back and forth to work - but in western New York it's probably not enough to force the game to be scrubbed.
As of Sunday afternoon, some areas have SIGNIFICANTLY more snow than what you stated. Snowfall rates of 5 INCHES per hour have been reported in areas under the Lake Effect band. Had the NFL not postponed this game and travel bans implemented, it's not hysterical to say that people would have died while travelling...

Back
Top Bottom