• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

....And Now, An Editorial From A Disgruntled Listener......

doowopvault said:
First off....not talking about the stations with DJ's, taking about the voice tracked robotic station where music is played and you are left not knowing who the artist is or the name of the song. 2-You think there are choices lol lol let me know what planet you currently reside on.....guess it all depends on what age you are which will decide the amount of choices available.

You have choices between stations WITH DJs and stations without. Not everyone likes the same thing. And yes, in an advertiser-supported system, age is a factor. In subscriber-supported systems, it isn't. Once again, you have a choice. Pay and get what you want, or take what you get for free.

TheBigA said:
doowopvault said:
First off....not talking about the stations with DJ's, taking about the voice tracked robotic station where music is played and you are left not knowing who the artist is or the name of the song. 2-You think there are choices lol lol let me know what planet you currently reside on.....guess it all depends on what age you are which will decide the amount of choices available.

You have choices between stations WITH DJs and stations without. Not everyone likes the same thing. And yes, in an advertiser-supported system, age is a factor. In subscriber-supported systems, it isn't. Once again, you have a choice. Pay and get what you want, or take what you get for free.

If you have to pay to get what you want....and you lack the funds, as many whom are low income and on a budget are, then you don't have a choice......do you?

doowopvault said:
If you have to pay to get what you want....and you lack the funds, as many whom are low income and on a budget are, then you don't have a choice......do you?

You always have a choices. What most people do is they adjust their needs and wants. If you're unwilling to do that, then you have a problem. I'd like to drive a Maserati. But I can't afford one. So I adjust my needs, and drive what I can afford. It's not Maserati's fault I can't afford their cars.

doowopvault said:
Since some people like the idea of no DJ's...what goes with this nauseating voice tracked radio is not knowing who the artist is or even the name of the song since there are no DJ's there to announce it.Sad what radio has turned into.

A very significant number of people don't want to hear the artist and title of the songs played on the radio... others just want that information on brand new songs. Few want it on every song.

Just because you want to hear that does not mean others do.

Voice tracking, well done, can be better than live. It all depends on the effort put into the product. I had an AM and an FM over 30 years ago that were both voice tracked... and combined had nearly a 50 share in one book; there was no way to tell they were not live. With today's technology, it can be done even better.

DavidEduardo said:
doowopvault said:
Since some people like the idea of no DJ's...what goes with this nauseating voice tracked radio is not knowing who the artist is or even the name of the song since there are no DJ's there to announce it.Sad what radio has turned into.

A very significant number of people don't want to hear the artist and title of the songs played on the radio... others just want that information on brand new songs. Few want it on every song.

Voice tracking, well done, can be better than live. It all depends on the effort put into the product. I had an AM and an FM over 30 years ago that were both voice tracked... and combined had nearly a 50 share in one book; there was no way to tell they were not live. With today's technology, it can be done even better.

David, the only person who thinks unmanned robotic radio stations can be or are a good thing.....are people who own or have owned a radio station...ie PROFIT!!!

You said "voice tracking can be better than live. There was no way to tell it was not live". REALLY....well let's start off with taking REQUESTS, THE DJ INTERACTING WITH THE LISTENING AUDIENCE, PUTTING LISTENERS LIVE ON THE AIR TO ANNOUNCE BIRTHDAYS, ANNIVERSARY, ENGAGEMENT ETC, having listeners feel like they are put of the show. Can robotic radio do that?

How bout the mystery song contest, you know.....if you are caller #9 etc, having the DJ announce the winner live...OR ANY CONTEST FOR THAT MATTER!!! can an automation system to that? please David, it's as I said, and the listeners agree, it's people like you who are destroying radio.

TheBigA said:
doowopvault said:

You always have a choices. What most people do is they adjust their needs and wants. If you're unwilling to do that, then you have a problem. I'd like to drive a Maserati. But I can't afford one. So I adjust my needs, and drive what I can afford. It's not Maserati's fault I can't afford their cars.

Bad example......."Adjust my needs and wants" are code words for.....LISTEN TO SOMETHING YOU DON'T LIKE, YOU DON'T WANT BECAUSE THE OUT OF TOUCH GREEDY FOOLS WHO OWN STATIONS TODAY, AS I SAID, WANT TO MOLD YOUR TASTES BY GIVING YOU LESS OF A CHOICE OF WHAT TO LISTEN TO!!

Yes, they do have a choice, to tune-in or tune-out. More and more people are opting to tune-out.

doowopvault said:
REALLY....well let's start off with taking REQUESTS, THE DJ INTERACTING WITH THE LISTENING AUDIENCE, PUTTING LISTENERS LIVE ON THE AIR TO ANNOUNCE BIRTHDAYS, ANNIVERSARY, ENGAGEMENT ETC, having listeners feel like they are put of the show.

Who the heck does that? When radio was the prime social interaction, maybe...but we have twitter, facebook, etc. for that now. Any show that does the birthday greeting is out of touch, not the other way around. 5,000 people don't care if it's your honey's birthday, but 2 do...do the math. They all care about what the celeb gossip is or what's going on in town. Please explain why you would waste time in a PPM world on engagement announcements over juicy gossip or the latest Katy Perry title?

I understand you need to connect with a listener, but there are other ways to do that. Wasting valuable time on-air with birthdays is not.

doowopvault said:
You said "voice tracking can be better than live. There was no way to tell it was not live". REALLY....well let's start off with taking REQUESTS, THE DJ INTERACTING WITH THE LISTENING AUDIENCE, PUTTING LISTENERS LIVE ON THE AIR TO ANNOUNCE BIRTHDAYS, ANNIVERSARY, ENGAGEMENT ETC, having listeners feel like they are put of the show. Can robotic radio do that?

How bout the mystery song contest, you know.....if you are caller #9 etc, having the DJ announce the winner live...OR ANY CONTEST FOR THAT MATTER!!! can an automation system to that? please David, it's as I said, and the listeners agree, it's people like you who are destroying radio.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who do not like hearing that kind of patter on the radio. Really...

Chuck said:
doowopvault said:

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who do not like hearing that kind of patter on the radio. Really...

And there are a lot who do.....listening to radio since I was 4 years old. 98.1 does this here in Philly, and the lines are jammed with people calling in requests, trying to be the 8th caller to win whatever the prize is....yeah, people do love it.

This is why I bought an automation program and loaded it onto my computer and am building a fully operational (1980s era equipment) studio in a spare room. I can entertain myself with a station that does exactly what I want it to. I can DJ however I want to. MUAHAHAHA!

doowopvault said:
David, the only person who thinks unmanned robotic radio stations can be or are a good thing.....are people who own or have owned a radio station...ie PROFIT!!!

Profit is what sustains any programming... that which you like and that which you don't like but which others may prefer.

I have heard many, many instances of voice tracked and automated stations that sound better than live stations. In part, everything is a tighter fit, material is more carefully chosen, and elements can be better placed in the hour. And in another part, the technology allows the use of otherwise un-costable talent even in the less desirable dayparts.

You said "voice tracking can be better than live. There was no way to tell it was not live". REALLY....well let's start off with taking REQUESTS,

Gee, let's let someone whose only qualification for programming a radio station is having a phone and let them run the radio station. Great idea.

For decades, stations have taped or prerecorded requests, thrown out the ones that don't fit the format or the playlist or which have been played recently, and run the request when the requested song comes up in rotation.

And anyone with about 30 minutes of on-air or in-studio experience at a station with an audience knows that it is very common to a) get a request for a song you are playing right now or, b) get a request for a song you played 3 minutes ago. Requests are, in general, the arsenic of programming.

THE DJ INTERACTING WITH THE LISTENING AUDIENCE, PUTTING LISTENERS LIVE ON THE AIR TO ANNOUNCE BIRTHDAYS, ANNIVERSARY, ENGAGEMENT ETC, having listeners feel like they are put of the show. Can robotic radio do that?

Actually, automated radio stations can do some of that with the use of recordings and a board op. But the real question is "why would you want to?" As another poster mentioned, with FB and Twitter and email, this kind of stuff is very old school today. In fact, for most people, the phone itself is old school.

How bout the mystery song contest, you know.....if you are caller #9 etc, having the DJ announce the winner live...OR ANY CONTEST FOR THAT MATTER!!!

A "mystery song" is generally a stiff. If it were easily recognizable, it would be a hit...

In any case, I've been putting winners on the air on voice tracked stations for 35 years. The result is tighter and smoother than the alternative.

can an automation system to that? please David, it's as I said, and the listeners agree, it's people like you who are destroying radio.

You are trying to apply 50's radio to the new media era. This is a bell you can not un-ring.

[/quote]

@DavidEduardo I agree with everything you've stated. I teach radio at a high school and we clearly focus most of our instruction on production (a skill that can be transferable to the internet, TV, etc.) and voice tracking. The era of the live daypart, other than mornings, is gone at most places and quickly fading in others.

DavidEduardo said:
doowopvault said:

Profit is what sustains any programming... that which you like and that which you don't like but which others may prefer.

I have heard many, many instances of voice tracked and automated stations that sound better than live stations. In part, everything is a tighter fit, material is more carefully chosen, and elements can be better placed in the hour. And in another part, the technology allows the use of otherwise un-costable talent even in the less desirable dayparts.

You said "voice tracking can be better than live. There was no way to tell it was not live". REALLY....well let's start off with taking REQUESTS,

Gee, let's let someone whose only qualification for programming a radio station is having a phone and let them run the radio station. Great idea.

For decades, stations have taped or prerecorded requests, thrown out the ones that don't fit the format or the playlist or which have been played recently, and run the request when the requested song comes up in rotation.

And anyone with about 30 minutes of on-air or in-studio experience at a station with an audience knows that it is very common to a) get a request for a song you are playing right now or, b) get a request for a song you played 3 minutes ago. Requests are, in general, the arsenic of programming.

THE DJ INTERACTING WITH THE LISTENING AUDIENCE, PUTTING LISTENERS LIVE ON THE AIR TO ANNOUNCE BIRTHDAYS, ANNIVERSARY, ENGAGEMENT ETC, having listeners feel like they are put of the show. Can robotic radio do that?

Actually, automated radio stations can do some of that with the use of recordings and a board op. But the real question is "why would you want to?" As another poster mentioned, with FB and Twitter and email, this kind of stuff is very old school today. In fact, for most people, the phone itself is old school.

How bout the mystery song contest, you know.....if you are caller #9 etc, having the DJ announce the winner live...OR ANY CONTEST FOR THAT MATTER!!!

A "mystery song" is generally a stiff. If it were easily recognizable, it would be a hit...

In any case, I've been putting winners on the air on voice tracked stations for 35 years. The result is tighter and smoother than the alternative.

can an automation system to that? please David, it's as I said, and the listeners agree, it's people like you who are destroying radio.

You are trying to apply 50's radio to the new media era. This is a bell you can not un-ring.
[/quote]

David, why don't you be honest, what you and the rest are doing is fixing something that was never broke. Gutting the stations of the air personalities, gutting the news room, not giving listeners a choice is all being carried out in the name of maximizing profit. But the opposite is happening. It is turning people away. Just like ever other business that begins to cut back on the quality of it's product and service, they lose customers. The facts that proves this to be true is the amount of listeners turning to the internet, podcasts and iTunes. Face it, your way will eventually come to an end. Terrestrial Radio is dying a slow death...thanks to people like you.

doowopvault said:
The facts that proves this to be true is the amount of listeners turning to the internet, podcasts and iTunes. Face it, your way will eventually come to an end. Terrestrial Radio is dying a slow death...thanks to people like you.

No amount of local personalities will ever get people to throw away their computers and cell phones. They will have them and use them regardless of what radio does.

David - you guys are also responsible for pay telephones, TV antennas, and home milk delivery being gone too.

All kidding aside, with radio revenues what they are, and the influx of more and more information/music delivery methods and advertising options out there, the expense of live bodies behind the mike is a luxury most can no longer afford. Live radio is just that - live. What usually sounds better - a studio recording or a live version?

doowopvault said:
David, why don't you be honest, what you and the rest are doing is fixing something that was never broke.

You know, the same thing was said in the early 50's when some upstarts wanted to do away with block programming, transcription services and such.

Radio wasn't broken, But listeners were increasingly seeking certain types of entertainment on TV. When the freeze lifted, those people who were tampering with radio suddenly looked like geniuses... guys with names like Todd and Gordon.

Gutting the stations of the air personalities,

Many people in younger generations don't want DJs... they want mixers. Or they want Seacrest who talks with the stars, not someone reading a copy of People.

gutting the news room,

My first ten stations or so had no news. Zero, zilch. Music, 24/7. That was nearly 50 years ago. Only when I reached an even dozen did I feel I had the resources and the staying power to take on the established news outlets, and did so.

That did not mean I had gutted the news room... it meant that I knew that news was not done best by those who were not dedicated to it, and when I did it, I wanted to do it right. And I knew that my music listeners did not want news on a music station... and since there was no FCC-like rule that I had to do news, I did not do it on the other stations.

Generally, in the US stations did news because they had to. Most of us running music stations knew the listeners did not want news with the music, but we had no choice. Some of us ran 10 minute newscasts overnight so that we could do minimal news in the daytime. Or we took our news out of the National Enquirer to make it seem like entertainment. Or any of a bunch of other methods of minimizing the negatives of what Big Brother thought the people needed.

When we could finally drop he pretenses, we did away with most news on music stations because we knew listenership would go up.

It had nothing to do with money back then.

not giving listeners a choice

Choice of what? There are more stations in every market today, and more format choices. Nearly any format capable of sustaining itself is on the air.

is all being carried out in the name of maximizing profit.

It's always been about profits. Sarnoff and Paley and Stanton were vehement in their pursuit of profits. Like radio folks today, they knew that the biggest profits came by attracting the most listeners, which meant finding out what listeners wanted and providing it.

In those cases, listeners and station owners both benefit.

But the opposite is happening. It is turning people away.

There is less listening to AM and FM. But radio is moving rapidly into new media, and some will be very successful and be around another few decades until the next major shift happens.

Radio is adapting its delivery methods, and continuing to try to provide relevant content... just as has happened in the past.

Terrestrial Radio is dying a slow death...

We know that. And that is why the brightest folks in radio are providing content by AM, FM and all manner of new media channels.

thanks to people like you.

You didn't bother to check the link below, did you? Before you throw stones, make sure that your comments don't make you look inordinately silly.

ok walters said:
David - you guys are also responsible for pay telephones, TV antennas, and home milk delivery being gone too.

Yeah, and we've done a pretty good job with getting rid of those pesky Good Humor trucks and we excelled in doing away with Twinkies, too.

DavidEduardo said:
doowopvault said:

David, I can totally know what you mean here. Since you worked on Argentine radio, you'll understand me too. Since I grew up with my parents listening songs from the 70s and the 80s most of the time, I occasionally like to tune to an Adult Hits stations to listen those cool songs my parents like. You probably know Aspen 102.3, Argentina's most famous AH station. The problem is, it sucks. The DJs, which sound like dead people who were awoken from their eternal sleep, talk over the songs. That won't be so bad if they had a playlist with more than 400 or 500 songs repeated ad nauseum, playing Thriller and Like a Virgin every single day.
So instead of falling asleep listening to it, I prefer tuning to a Catholic station with an Adult Hits which boosts a playlist with at least the double of songs Aspen has, no annoying DJs, and what's better: they play the album or extended versions of many songs. They also keep the religious programming at no more than 2 hours a day.

Yes, there is a choice of stations in the Nashville, TN market that play some songs I like. But they don't play many songs I like. I would wager there are more songs I like not played on any of the stations here than there are songs I like. So, in the car I tough it out for 30-40 minutes until I get home and then I crank up my own little "station".

We are "elite group" of listeners. We enjoy our songs and large libraries more than the average listener. But radio/advertisers have a larger audience with the 'average listener" than with us.

PirateJohnny said:
We are "elite group" of listeners. We enjoy our songs and large libraries more than the average listener. But radio/advertisers have a larger audience with the 'average listener" than with us.

Nicely put!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom