• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

An AM Station with Transmitters in Different States

It might be a bit late now. But my original post was about an AM radio station in the Augusta market. It has its daytime transmitter in one state and its nighttime transmitter in another... One was in South Carolina and one was in Georgia.

So it wasn't just about stations that have their transmitter location in a different state. Most NYC AM stations have their transmitter locations in NJ. But not in TWO different stations, depending on night signal or day signal.

It might be a bit late now. But my original post was about an AM radio station in the Augusta market. It has its daytime transmitter in one state and its nighttime transmitter in another... One was in South Carolina and one was in Georgia.

So it wasn't just about stations that have their transmitter location in a different state. Most NYC AM stations have their transmitter locations in NJ. But not in TWO different stations, depending on night signal or day signal.
I was thinking of commenting....
Not on the original subject (AM), but I can think of a place where the FM or TV transmitter is in one county, and the antenna in another. Farnsworth Peak sits on the line between Salt Lake County and Tooele County.
At night, the engineer's head may be in one county, while his feet are in the other šŸ˜ .

I can think of many TV stations in Michigan which have their TL in a different COUNTY than the City of License. There is one TV station in Toledo, OH, WLMB Channel 40 (operates on physical Channel 5 presently), which has it's TL two miles into Michigan. It was in an out of the way location to be more than 20 miles from WUPW Channel 36 due to the UHF Taboos (Intermodulation Restriction for 2, 3, 4, and 5 channels). It ended up in an area which was quite a ways from Toledo.

Did anyone mention WCKY Cincinnati, OH, having its TL in Covington, KY, the original COL and origin of the call sign, similar to WIND, originally in Gary, INDiana?

I also don't know if anyone mentioned WZIP/WGRI 1050 Cincinnati, OH, having its transmitter in Covington, KY, along I-75, a few blocks South of the Ohio River.

Last edited:
I can think of many TV stations in Michigan which have their TL in a different COUNTY than the City of License. There is one TV station in Toledo, OH, WLMB Channel 40 (operates on physical Channel 5 presently), which has it's TL two miles into Michigan. It was in an out of the way location to be more than 20 miles from WUPW Channel 36 due to the UHF Taboos (Intermodulation Restriction for 2, 3, 4, and 5 channels). It ended up in an area which was quite a ways from Toledo.

Did anyone mention WCKY Cincinnati, OH, having its TL in Covington, KY, the original COL and origin of the call sign, similar to WIND, originally in Gary, INDiana?

I also don't know if anyone mentioned WZIP/WGRI 1050 Cincinnati, OH, having its transmitter in Covington, KY, along I-75, a few blocks South of the Ohio River.
Yeah, you pass that tower on the bridge

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom