• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Am I The Only One?

I did find one issue of TV Guide on another website, complete, in a PDF file. I wonder if there are more out there like that.

Anyone?

Joe

I have a collection of TV Guides, mainly Fall previews and editions that had the final episodes of favorite shows (MASH, Carson, Cheers, etc.), starting in the 80's and going up to the final small sized issue.

I also had an issue from Nashville when they were testing a larger sized issue in the early 90's. It was pretty much the same as the smaller editions but laid out in a larger size, and still had local schedules. If they had stayed with that format I might have kept getting it instead of stopping when they went to the larger size with national schedules.

somebody suggested that there might be a seperate board for the TV listings, it would be a good idea, and i might even look in if they post them for Indianapolis indiana. my only beef with them was that it pushed postings for other topics off the page. one to look at in Indianapolis is the debut of "I Love Lucy" - i was born on the same day it aired in Indy, BUT it didn't air on a local cbs affiliate first, but wttv, which was then on channel 10 at the time. wttv carried shows from 2 other networks. wish-tv the cbs affiliate carried the lucy debut a couple of days later.

WhoDat! said:
somebody suggested that there might be a seperate board for the TV listings, it would be a good idea, and i might even look in if they post them for Indianapolis indiana. my only beef with them was that it pushed postings for other topics off the page. one to look at in Indianapolis is the debut of "I Love Lucy" - i was born on the same day it aired in Indy, BUT it didn't air on a local cbs affiliate first, but wttv, which was then on channel 10 at the time. wttv carried shows from 2 other networks. wish-tv the cbs affiliate carried the lucy debut a couple of days later.

I Love Lucy first aired on 10/15/1951. Since both stations in central Indiana (WFBM-TV/6 and WTTV/10) carried all 4 networks at the time, it very well could have aired on both.

WISH-TV/8 didn't air I Love Lucy until 1955, when it became the primary CBS affiliate for the area after being ABC for its first year on the air. Before that, it would have aired on WFBM-TV once the networks assigned primary affiliates in the Indy market in 1954 (WTTV-NBC, WFBM-CBS, WISH-ABC at first, with the remnants of Dumont split between them). There were several network shuffles between then and 1957, when WLWI/13 came on the air and took ABC away from WTTV.

i was wrong then, it was wfbm, who would have aired Lucy AFTER it aired on wttv first. so, wttv actually beat wfbm, airing the ist lucy a day or two before the other station. how this happened i don't know. all this is strange in that from my earliest memory wttv was always an independant tv station, not affiliated with any network. how they lost network affiliation when they were the 2nd tv station on the air in Indy i don't know.

WhoDat! said:
i was wrong then, it was wfbm, who would have aired Lucy AFTER it aired on wttv first. so, wttv actually beat wfbm, airing the ist lucy a day or two before the other station. how this happened i don't know. all this is strange in that from my earliest memory wttv was always an independant tv station, not affiliated with any network. how they lost network affiliation when they were the 2nd tv station on the air in Indy i don't know.

Mine too (I grew up in Bloomington).

WTTV's problem was coverage of Indy, or the partial lack thereof. For a few years (1954-57), they transmitted from Cloverdale (this is when they moved from 10 to 4), about halfway between Indy and Terre Haute, and was considered the primary NBC affiliate for both markets. But that wasn't a good location for decent coverage of Indy, so NBC pulled the affiliation in '56 and gave it to WFBM-TV. A year earlier, CBS had dropped WFBM for WISH, with WFBM taking ABC, but also carrying NBC shows that WTTV didn't run.

Now, WTTV had ABC, but not-yet-operational WLWI/13 was trying to snag it from them since they transmitted from Indy itself (never mind the fact that they were all but unviewable in the southern half of the market). They were successful, and so WTTV became an independent until 1995, when they signed up with UPN. The WTTV transmitter move from Cloverdale to Trafalgar didn't help since city-grade coverage of Bloomington was still required.

So the network swaps went like this:

1949-53: Both WFBM/6 and WTTV/10 carried all 4 networks, as was common in that era.
Jan 1954: WTTV/4 (NBC/ABC/Dumont), WFBM/6 (CBS/ABC/Dumont)
Jul 1954: WTTV/4 (NBC), WFBM/6 (CBS), WISH/8 (ABC), with Dumont on all three stations.
1955: WTTV/4 (NBC), WFBM/6 (ABC/NBC), WISH/8 (CBS)
1956: WTTV/4 (ABC), WFBM/6 (NBC), WISH/8 (CBS)
Oct 1957: WTTV/4 (Ind.), WFBM/6 (NBC), WISH/8 (CBS), WLWI/13 (ABC)

And that's how it remained until 1979, when 6 and 13 swapped affiliates, as WRTV and WTHR, respectively.

WhoDat! said:
am i the only one who finds these "Retro" Posts B O R I N G.. they take up space and shove all the REAL topics down and off the list..
just sayin'

You do realize this is the Internet, not a newspaper, right? "Space" isn't really an issue. Just click onto page 2,3 etc.

I don't care to read the retro schedules either unless they're Southern California (where I grew up) or the SF Bay Area ( where I live now). But I get that other readers like them, so I don't stress about it.

Lkeller said:
WhoDat! said:
am i the only one who finds these "Retro" Posts B O R I N G.. they take up space and shove all the REAL topics down and off the list..
just sayin'

You do realize this is the Internet, not a newspaper, right? "Space" isn't really an issue. Just click onto page 2,3 etc.

I don't care to read the retro schedules either unless they're Southern California (where I grew up) or the SF Bay Area ( where I live now). But I get that other readers like them, so I don't stress about it.
NOT stressing sir, i just think it might be a good idea to move the tv listings to another page devoted to classic tv listings, it IS the internet, it can be done!

KeithE4 said:
WhoDat! said:

Mine too (I grew up in Bloomington).

WTTV's problem was coverage of Indy, or the partial lack thereof. For a few years (1954-57), they transmitted from Cloverdale (this is when they moved from 10 to 4), about halfway between Indy and Terre Haute, and was considered the primary NBC affiliate for both markets. But that wasn't a good location for decent coverage of Indy, so NBC pulled the affiliation in '56 and gave it to WFBM-TV. A year earlier, CBS had dropped WFBM for WISH, with WFBM taking ABC, but also carrying NBC shows that WTTV didn't run.

Now, WTTV had ABC, but not-yet-operational WLWI/13 was trying to snag it from them since they transmitted from Indy itself (never mind the fact that they were all but unviewable in the southern half of the market). They were successful, and so WTTV became an independent until 1995, when they signed up with UPN. The WTTV transmitter move from Cloverdale to Trafalgar didn't help since city-grade coverage of Bloomington was still required.

So the network swaps went like this:

1949-53: Both WFBM/6 and WTTV/10 carried all 4 networks, as was common in that era.
Jan 1954: WTTV/4 (NBC/ABC/Dumont), WFBM/6 (CBS/ABC/Dumont)
Jul 1954: WTTV/4 (NBC), WFBM/6 (CBS), WISH/8 (ABC), with Dumont on all three stations.
1955: WTTV/4 (NBC), WFBM/6 (ABC/NBC), WISH/8 (CBS)
1956: WTTV/4 (ABC), WFBM/6 (NBC), WISH/8 (CBS)
Oct 1957: WTTV/4 (Ind.), WFBM/6 (NBC), WISH/8 (CBS), WLWI/13 (ABC)

And that's how it remained until 1979, when 6 and 13 swapped affiliates, as WRTV and WTHR, respectively.

Thanks keith, that is the Best explanation of Indianapolis Tv i've ever read..

Keep them on this page, I say. One may think he's not interested in a particular subject, but like the Indianapolis TV schedules, one stumbles upon something fascinating and you learn.

I thought reading about Indi TV was very interesting. I would not have gone looking for the information though.

Joe

WhoDat! said:
Lkeller said:
WhoDat! said:
just sayin'

NOT stressing sir, i just think it might be a good idea to move the tv listings to another page devoted to classic tv listings, it IS the internet, it can be done!

Not a bad idea. I'll help - I'll go get the razor blade and scotch tape. ;D

WhoDat! said:
Thanks keith, that is the Best explanation of Indianapolis Tv i've ever read..

You're welcome. I got my info from David Eduardo's site, and the Broadcasting Magazines therein. Excellent site for research. As I was born in 1955 and don't remember much of anything before '58, I don't have any personal recollections of the network swaps.

WhoDat! said:
just sayin'

Yes, it's just you.

In all seriousness, I don't read every classic listing --but I do read the ones for markets that are of particular interest to me, and enjoy seeing them.

No, you're not the only one for what it's worth. I have long thought that a Retro board would be a good idea as well. Another reason, other than the fact they push other posts down to page 2, 3, whatever is that they often have very little discussion in them. Since they are essentially "read only" type posts, I would separate them from the discussion posts.

Of course it's not that big a deal, but then again asking people who want to see Retro content to click another board isn't that big a deal either.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom