• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 770

cyberdad

Staff member
I'm on the road again this weekend, so rather than delay like I did a couple weeks back, I thought I'd launch this a little earlier than usual instead.

Days: Serious iboc splatter from WBBM at my home location 25 miles northwest of their stick.

Nights; WABC is usually strong enough to break through the noise with WBBM nulled. Best NYC signal along with WCBS,

Other Location: This week at the beach near Pensacola, I'm getting a weak but reliably audio Spanish signal daytime that I haven't been able to ID yet. There's a 10KW 770 in the Fort Myers area, but the pattern doesn't favor this location. My next thought was Cuba, but it doesn't sound like one of the usual Cubans that you hear in these parts, so I'm stumped.

The radio station in Cincinnati on the 770 dial on the daytime is WCGW a fringe radio station of Cincinnati from Lexington, KY.
But in the nighttime it's 770 WABC as a decent radio station. Sometimes but all of the New York radio station signals aren't really focusing on all of our locations because I think it's the ocean it's self. New York City's radio stations at 50KW coverage maps and some other locations as well may be pointing to the ocean. I may be going to listen to all of it's New York 50KW radio stations Tonight by refresh My memory to see if all of this is correct in My location.
I've may be wrong about the "not focusing on other locations" part. But, Eh.
So, it's Daytimer WCGW from Lexington, KY. and it's 50KW clear channel WABC from New York City.

In the near north Chicago suburbs during the day it's all WBBM IBOC splatter. At night I rarely hear WABC anymore due to the WBBM hash.

Retro: Back in the day (60s & 70s) WABC was one of my favorite stations to listen to at night. "The home of The All Americans" was a must listen for me many nights in the 60s.
Other stations I heard on 770 pre sunrise were WEW St Louis, WCAL Northfield, Mn and KUOM Minneapolis. I heard KOB once or twice when WABC was off the air on Monday mornings.

East Tennessee: (Knoxville/Sevierville area). Nothing but splash from WETR on 760 by day. Sunset can be WVNN, Huntsville, night is WABC.

Retro/other: Back home in Ohio (the part where I grew up), I was rocking to WABC many nights. The signal was usually better than WLS and WCFL due to my being within the skip zone of the Chicago stations. WABC came in as early as 4pm in the winter so I could catch some of the Dan Ingram show. It was often gone by 7am winter mornings.
In Indiana, WVNN would be a frequent morning visitor. On the Central Indiana SDR, it's primarily WCGW days, WVNN sunrise/sunset and WABC nights.

By listening to these radio stations.

660 WFAN New York, NY Can be heard Weakly-moderate
710 WOR New York, NY Can be heard with mixed stations
770 WABC New York, NY Can be heard Weakly-moderate
810 WGY Schenectady, NY Can be heard at times Weakly-moderate with mixed stations.
880 WCBS New York, NY Can be heard A little bit moderate and ok with focusing.
1130 WBBR New York, NY Can be heard at times (used to be) but owned with another Spanish radio station.
1560 WQEW New York, NY Heard in Dayton, OH but not in Cincinnati. Weakly-moderate. I've heard Radio Disney before the sale took place on that station.

But in 2 AM. I know the reception will much likely to be improved.

They have performed pretty Weakly-moderate, and I got a question.

Who is the 1130 Spanish radio station? I know it's not 1130 WBBR.

Last edited:
Who is the 1130 Spanish radio station? I know it's not 1130 WBBR.

Most likely either Gainesville, GA (10 kw) or Gallatin, TN (2.3 kw) both are in Spanish, but the Gallatin / Nashville one is Christian and tyhe GA one is a more mass market format.

Days: WJBX, Fort Myers is now airing mostly business news.
Every time I hear them, they have different call letters and a different floormat.
Nights: A cacophony, but when I was a teenager, I enjoyed a clear WABeatleC every night.

Reynoldsburg, Ohio ...
* Daytime: A weak WAIS from Buchtel, Ohio, about 60 miles southeast down U.S. 33. In fact, the transmitter for that 1,000-watt daytimer is situated right along 33 outside Nelsonville. It's within sight of Nelsonville, which has made me wonder why Buchtel is the COL.
Signal would be better up here if not for the middling ground conductivity in that part of the state. Between here and there is where it starts to fall off into the much lesser conductivity up and down the eastern part of the country.
* Nighttime: Always WABC, usually considerably stronger than WJR and WBBM.
[Gr8Oldies: I was surprised to read you considered that part of Ohio the skip zone for Chicago stations. I don't remember having trouble getting the Chicago blasters at night in the St. Marys area; in fact, they always seemed to come in very well. They were usually much tougher to hear in Fort Wayne.]

Daytime - nothing

Nighttime - KKOB Weak signal but easily listenable.

Sometimes, KCBC or KTTH will be there too.

And once, I even heard WABC!

Schmave: I always had groundwave/skywave cancellation in Coldwater and Celina on WLS (particularly) and WCFL. Both put marginal daytime signals in (WLS was better). I agree on Fort Wayne. The Buchtel COL is likely because Nelsonville already had service, and they had to show "first or second aural service" for a community.

I'm in central NJ, so it's WABC New York day or night. I remember when Cousin Brucie played music and WABC was clear channel. Lived in north Jersey growing up. WABC was so powerful, you could pick it up loud and clear with a crystal radio set made with an oatmeal container, a razor blade and army an surplus 2000 ohm headset.

Tonight, I've listened to all of the 50kw up and down the am dial in another place for a party. Surprisingly 880 WCBS sounded really good in out of the open of the drive way. Other New York signals was really struggling on the dial. but Other stations like 1120 KMOX sounded like a local channel is best of the AM band. I was listening to 1010 to see if CFRB was there and I've heard "New York" That's right. New Yorker WINS was there mixed with possibly CFRB and other stations. That's My first time receiving WINS. I know it's not talking directly to dial 770. But I just wanted to give an update for the New York Stations. (I did this in the drive way for the best way to receive these radio stations for the best result.)

I'm in central NJ, so it's WABC New York day or night. I remember when Cousin Brucie played music and WABC was clear channel. Lived in north Jersey growing up. WABC was so powerful, you could pick it up loud and clear with a crystal radio set made with an oatmeal container, a razor blade and army an surplus 2000 ohm headset.

I lived in south Jersey and grew up listening to Cousin Brucie.

It was always fun to visit my aunt and uncle up north in Hasbrouck Heights because you could see WABC's tower looking down the street. (It's actually located in the neighboring town of Lodi, I believe)

WABC was so strong, it could be heard on their telephone line.

Then when we drove back home down the Garden State Parkway and then the Turnpike at night, I always asked my parents to keep the radio on 77 and it was a little sad to hear it get noticeably weaker between exits 8 and 7, which is about the limit of the 'local' sounding signal strength.

Ah OK. WLS is probably the Chicago 50K station I listen to the least, by far. Nowadays, WMVP comes in pretty well at night at least in St. Marys. It's also the weakest of the Chicago 50Ks there daytime.
As an aside, WMVP's cancellation zone starts as far west as Valparaiso. In my experience, nighttime groundwave for 670, 720 and 780 is pretty solid until you get well east of Plymouth, maybe as far east as Warsaw. It's been several years since I've driven U.S. 30 from Chicago to Ohio at night.

WABC here, night and day, day and night.

Olden days near JFK Airport it was WABC, of course. When they were off, I once heard (K)KOB and heard HOL83 from Panama a few times.

Anyone else here remember driving past WABC's Lodi NJ tower and hearing them for a bit on their first harmonic 1540?

WABC was so strong, it could be heard on their telephone line.

Then when we drove back home down the Garden State Parkway and then the Turnpike at night, I always asked my parents to keep the radio on 77 and it was a little sad to hear it get noticeably weaker between exits 8 and 7, which is about the limit of the 'local' sounding signal strength.

You could probably hear WABC in your head if you had amalgam fillings in your teeth!

We lived on top of a hill and had line of sight to the WTC and Empire State Building, so even TV reception was crystal clear with rabbit ear antennas. As a kid, I used to build radios and other electronic projects from a series of books called "Boy's First (2nd, and 3rd) Book of Radio and Electronics". These books were from the 50's and this was in the 70's. Most of the more advanced projects were vacuum tube based and line operated. My how times have changed!

When I was a child,
the friend who got me interested in radio DX'ing told me that
he occasionally heard a seven sixty something from Dakar, Senegal.
Radio Station World lists a Chaîne Nationale (RTS) as existing on 765 KHz today.
I never heard the station, but he had much more selective equipment than I did.
Anyone know anything about this station?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom