• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 760

The KGB call letters were in use in San Diego during those Cold War days. The San Diego Chicken, first of the well-known American sports mascots, started as the KGB Chicken sometime in the '80s, and the call had a history in the market even then.
If the media were as conspiracy-minded back then as they are now, there surely would have been numerous suggestions that the KGB chicken was part of a Soviet plot to take over the country. :)

• Haha
Reactions: drt
That place, which I believe is the Motorcoach Country Club on 48 near Madison, is about 4 miles from where we are, near 54th and Madison.. It is absolutely lovely. They don't even take Fifth Wheels and little Winnebagos and the like.
Yep. My friend showed me a vid of the place and it was eye-popping. Fortunately, his RV is 34 feet, and less than ten years old which also meet their requirements. The pad and small casita that comes with it cost more than a hotel on a daily basis and still put him in the "proletariat" sector!

We now return to our regular thread.

Upate: From my current location in Palm Springd, I did a quick scan in my rental car. The San Diego 760 (ex-KFMB) KGB is clearly audible but weak. Unlike my hotel room balcony. That also pretty much goes for the major Los Angeles signals.

Cyberdad, have you checked out 104.3 FM yet in the Coachella Valley? I mention this because it's one of the very few stations left
that plays oldies from the 50s through the 70s. Not many of those left.

Cyberdad, have you checked out 104.3 FM yet in the Coachella Valley? I mention this because it's one of the very few stations left
that plays oldies from the 50s through the 70s. Not many of those left.
That station has a very marginal signal to the east of Palm Desert, and it does not even have a 60 dbu in Palm Springs or Desert Hot Springs.

It's sister station, KGAY, has two translators and does OK but not great in coverage. But 104.3 is thought, by other local broadcasters, to bill less than $8,000 a month.

What was KGB 1360 is now KLSD! Not an improvement.
And, among other milestones in 1360's history was being the first major market adopter of Bill Drake's Top 40 format system right after he was so successful in Fresno.

The owner of KGB was associated with the RKO General folks, and when KGB shot to the top with Top 40 he recommended Drake and his team to RKO and, soon after, KHJ got rid of the remains of the old Don Lee Network vestiges and became Boss Radio, 93 KHJ.

That station has a very marginal signal to the east of Palm Desert, and it does not even have a 60 dbu in Palm Springs or Desert Hot Springs.

It's sister station, KGAY, has two translators and does OK but not great in coverage. But 104.3 is thought, by other local broadcasters, to bill less than $8,000 a month.
I'm not surprised at the billing. I am surprised that a commercial station plays 50s and 60s music. Their hosts are voicetracked so the overhead must be low. Obviously the amount of baby boomers that populate the area in winter is the main factor.
I assume there must be a few others probably in Florida. David I imagine you would have that information if there are other stations that have this format. Where I reside in Palm Desert during the winter months the signal is OK, but as you say not great.

And, among other milestones in 1360's history was being the first major market adopter of Bill Drake's Top 40 format system right after he was so successful in Fresno.

The owner of KGB was associated with the RKO General folks, and when KGB shot to the top with Top 40 he recommended Drake and his team to RKO and, soon after, KHJ got rid of the remains of the old Don Lee Network vestiges and became Boss Radio, 93 KHJ.
Did KGB usually beat KCBQ in the 60s? I know they went at it pretty hard.

San Jose California

Days..Nothing

Nights...KFMB...Oh wait, they changed their call letters...KGB. The signal is very erratic up here. When it fades, boy does it fade out. Lots of static. Seems to be the same as with KOH. Its hard to descibe, buts its not a "booming" signal. Its like its floating on a layer of static water all the time. I use the term water loosely, but thats what it sounds like. Like a wooshing up and down signal. I get it on all my radios. I get it inside as well as outside. Its also year round, doesn't matter the season.

Re: 104.3 audible in Palm Springs....

I didn't hear 104.3 in Palm Springs. At least it didn't hit the scan button, either in the hotel room or in the car. I did hear a nostalgia format on 92.3 and 1340 with the calls KWXY. Both signals were good, but not being a particularly big fan of Doris Day music (not to take anything away from her obvious singing and acting talent), I didn't listen all that much. The closest I heard them to pop-rock was Dusty Springfield's "Wishin' and Hopin". Basically I thought their playlist was sort of a mess. Aside from DXing, I spent most of my time on my Spotify and Apple Music playlists.

As for KGB/KLSD, or whatever else 1360 calls itself......
I was in San Doego for a week in August 1964, just before I started my junior year of high school in Honolulu. I thought KGB was outstanding. And that would have even been before Bill Drake got involved. I also felt the same way about KCBQ. To this day I'd be hard pressed to say which was better.

Fast forward to today, and back on topic....
1360 was barely audible at my hotel in Palm Springs by day. Much better and on top at night. Better than most of the signals, actually. I was apparently in a convergance zone, so even KFI was only fair at best. Believe it or not, the best night signal was KFWB on 980,,,which was largely absent duirng the day. KTNQ on 1020 was also better than I expected. Day and night.

Tonight, I'm in Rancho Bernardo (half hour north of downtown San Diego). Then I'm at Marina Del Rey (Los Anges area on the waterfront) for the weekend. Since we're here to spend time with our daughter, my DXing may be limited. But I'll report anything of interest that I come across.

As for KGB/KLSD, or whatever else 1360 calls itself......
I was in San Doego for a week in August 1964, just before I started my junior year of high school in Honolulu. I thought KGB was outstanding. And that would have even been before Bill Drake got involved. I also felt the same way about KCBQ. To this day I'd be hard pressed to say which was better.
KHJ went Top 40 in late April of '65, after Drake had built a multi-book record at KGB starting in early 1964. KGB became #1 in its first book, going from 14th to the top. In fact, Drake was brought in by KGB's owner to finish off the old network style MOR that had been on the air up to then.

KHJ went Top 40 in late April of '65, after Drake had built a multi-book record at KGB starting in early 1964. KGB became #1 in its first book, going from 14th to the top. In fact, Drake was brought in by KGB's owner to finish off the old network style MOR that had been on the air up to then.
Aha! I thought Drake had started with KHJ and branched out from there. So I was hearing some of Drake's earlier work on KGB. And then for my teeenage self, from therre, it was on to Honolulu and hearing what "Ron and Tom" had built at K-POI....even thogh by then Ron had left for California.

Then a couple of years later, I had more good fortune, in that in college, being in daily range of three Storz stations. KXOK and WHB by day and KOMA at night. Wow!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom