• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 740

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: usually noting, but did hear WRPQ and WVLN during daytime in the past
Nighttime: CFZM dominant. This frequency has always been dominated by Toronto. CBL in the past, CFZM now.

DX/Retro: others heard in the past include KTRH (Houston, TX), KRMG (Tulsa, OK), KVOX (Fargo, ND), WSVQ (Harrogate, TN), WCWY (Tullahoma, TN), CBX (Edmonton, AB) and two foreign ones that are no longer active on 740: Radio Liberacion, Cuba and Radio Maracaibo, Venezuela.

When I was at KTRH (36 years ago), we often got letters from missionaries in Central America, all of whom clearly felt that it was a link to back home. The 10 pm news block was especially appreciated. I doubt the sales staff, working at the time across Lovett Boulevard in a house that KTRH bought in order to make space for an expanded newsroom at 510, sold much time there, though!

Can't say I'm surprised! Even though that major lobe points southwest, they still send a ton of juice toward Central America.
(I've also wondered if there's some point in Mexico where KTRH and KCBS just clobber the heck out of each other.)
I've said it in other posts, but I wish I'd had the chance to take a drive around the backside of KTRH's night pattern when I lived in the Houston area. With all the juice they send over the Houston area and beyond, their nulls have to be pretty interesting as well. I know I have zero prayer of ever catching KTRH in central Ohio given that their very deep null toward Toronto is pointed directly at me.

Can't say I'm surprised! Even though that major lobe points southwest, they still send a ton of juice toward Central America.
(I've also wondered if there's some point in Mexico where KTRH and KCBS just clobber the heck out of each other.)

Judging by the maps generated by fccdata.org, it looks like eastern Sonora is a good candidate for some overlap between the two. Far southeastern Arizona and the bootheel of New Mexico might get in on the action from time to time, too.

I've said it in other posts, but I wish I'd had the chance to take a drive around the backside of KTRH's night pattern when I lived in the Houston area. With all the juice they send over the Houston area and beyond, their nulls have to be pretty interesting as well. I know I have zero prayer of ever catching KTRH in central Ohio given that their very deep null toward Toronto is pointed directly at me.
Same here - I was busy working for KTRH in those days! - probably anywhere between Killeen and Bryan would yield interesting results.

The nighttime null is really sharp, so just driving around Dayton (the transmitter site) at night could be interesting as well.

When I was in Albuquerque last month I should have tried for it, now that KDAZ has moved from 730 to 700, and has reduced power, opening up a nice 70 kHz gap at night. But I had a lot going on that would be totally boring to relate.

KATK in Carlsbad, NM squeezes in between the KTRH and KCBS skywave coverages with 500 watts nondirectional at night. So a trip to Roswell at night could be interesting as long as you watch out for strange lights in the sky. (joke)

In my first hometown in central Missouri, nighttimes were a mix of CBL (as it then was) and KRMG from Tulsa. Farther east, in St. Charles County, CBL dominated.

Cleveland, and at my in-laws' home in the far northeast corner of the state, they have a strong daytime signal but are in the cancellation zone at night.
I could usually pick up a weak signal from CFZM daytime between Cleveland and Akron on a good car radio. South of there, WNOP would start to surface.

Going west of Toronto on the 401 freeway, CFZM daytime good is generally audible until the outskirts of Windsor-Detroit. Ground conductivity to the east and north isn't as good, but CFZM daytime is listenable most of the way to either Ottawa or Montreal before CKAC splatter trashes it.

Here in NEPA, poster anwar's WJFP is a faint but steady one.
Other side of the day it's Toronto; terrific signal
In between at sunset, taped were IDs from WRNR WV and WMBL from NC.
Both SSS and once for a few days at NIGHT, WNYH Long Island was logged. They were the 5th station I've heard here in PA from my former train-village, water-tower andd catchbasin digs.

The retro stuff from Queens re-reads like an old survey scroll in this thread.......
KCBS (once) ..... Orlando .....The Big Bam .... SC, VA, Nfld and Venezuela.

@Mark Roberts
Back in Queens (near JFK Airport) I did catch KRMG one overnight on that goofy bowtie night pattern. But I never heard your KTRH. A pal of mine four blocks west of me and a better DXer, heard KTRH but never KRMG !

Judging by the maps generated by fccdata.org, it looks like eastern Sonora is a good candidate for some overlap between the two. Far southeastern Arizona and the bootheel of New Mexico might get in on the action from time to time, too.

Same here - I was busy working for KTRH in those days! - probably anywhere between Killeen and Bryan would yield interesting results.

The nighttime null is really sharp, so just driving around Dayton (the transmitter site) at night could be interesting as well.

When I was in Albuquerque last month I should have tried for it, now that KDAZ has moved from 730 to 700, and has reduced power, opening up a nice 70 kHz gap at night. But I had a lot going on that would be totally boring to relate.

KATK in Carlsbad, NM squeezes in between the KTRH and KCBS skywave coverages with 500 watts nondirectional at night. So a trip to Roswell at night could be interesting as long as you watch out for strange lights in the sky. (joke)

In my first hometown in central Missouri, nighttimes were a mix of CBL (as it then was) and KRMG from Tulsa. Farther east, in St. Charles County, CBL dominated.

I was able to drive by the tower farm one afternoon in June 2009 when I was killing time between assignments in Baytown. Unfortunately I was not able to drive back behind the pattern, where the change in signal probably is noticeable even in the daytime.
I imagine the Dayton and Liberty areas suffer from a badly degraded signal at night. That's the area I'd like to check out.
Even the lobe they send east toward New Orleans and Florida, one which has to be less than 50K ERP considering the juice they send elsewhere, is fairly potent 500+ miles out. It's definitely a signal made interesting by all it must protect in several directions.

KTRH always had a strong signal into southern Mexico as I heard it there years ago.

DFW, Texas

Daytime: Spillover from local 730-KKDA.
Nights: Mostly a low rumble with KTRH Houston most frequently heard, although, not a strong signal. Quite often, CFZM Toronto can be heard on top with Zoomer format, when northern conditions prevail. Also have heard XEQN Torreón Coah. matching web stream in the mix.
Rare, less often heard: KRMG Tulsa, only heard at sunrise or sunset, not a regular. KCMC Texarkana heard once overnight with sports format. WMSP Montgomery AL heard once at sunrise with sports talk. KCBS San Francisco heard once at 0630 local time with news/talk, very weak.

In Charleston, SC it is usually splatter daytime from WLTQ, unless you live near the coast where you can get WYGM off the water path.

Toronto comes in at night especially in the fall and winter. I have heard KRMG here along with a couple others.

South Mississippi:

Day: KTRH Houston can rarely be heard on the coast, usually covered up by splatter from 750 KKNO
Night: good signal from Newsradio KTRH 740, sometimes Sports Radio 740 WMSP Montgomery, AL or Zoomer Radio CFZM Toronto

Last edited:
South Mississippi:

Day: KTRH Houston can rarely be heard on the coast, usually covered up by splatter from 750 KKNO
Night: good signal from Newsradio KTRH 740, sometimes Sports Radio 740 WMSP Montgomery, AL or Zoomer Radio CFZM Toronto
I forgot all about WMSP. Before they went down to 10kw day power, I used to hear them with a weak signal on the coast. That was as WBAM. On my more recent visits, I haven't heard them during daytime as WMSP. I have no specific memory of hearing them at night, but I have heardd sports under KTRH, thinking I had WGYM, but I suppose it could hve been WMSP.

From NW San Antonio:

Day: It's KTRH in Houston with a moderate signal.

Night: KTRH has a stronger signal but with regular groundwave/skywave cancellation. Aiming N/S I often hear a weak XEQN "Radio Fórmula" in Torreón underneath. Mostly in winter I'll sometimes hear weak bits of KVOR in Colorado Springs or KCBS in San Francisco underneath if I aim NW/SE.

Sunrise: XEQN is stronger. In winter KCBS often shows up with a listenable signal.

DX/Retro: One-time loggings include news/talk KRMG in Tulsa and XEKV in Villahermosa.

Still hoping to log KCMC in Texarkana and Zoomer in Toronto one day. KTRH makes it tough.

Last edited:
Tyler, TX:

At night, KTRH is a goner. So is KCMC. To boot, Tyler is directly in line with KRMG's SE null. So, I end up with what I believe to be XECAO from the Yucatan Peninsula. My Spanish is not good enough to keep up with their rapid fire delivery. I have heard "Radio Formula" spoken repeatedly. It's a talk format, and the conversations are moving at a brisk pace. Unless someone knows of another "Formula" elsewhere in Mexico, that's the only station I can consider a probability. I have yet to catch any kind of an hourly identification, nor have I heard it air the National Anthem. So, I have yet to officially log it. It's there almost nightly, right next to XEX.

The next time you hear the Radio Fórmula station, check the webstreams for XEQN and XECAQ at mwlist.org. Both are Radio Fórmula branded, but their broadcasts are often not the same, and they'll sometimes mention their location (Torreón or Quintana Roo, respectively) with the R. Fórmula ID.

I've been in Livingston TN and Crockett TN but for such short times and was so busy I didn't think to check out much AM. Seems the night pattern for KTRH would be non-existent both places.

I've been in Livingston TN and Crockett TN but for such short times and was so busy I didn't think to check out much AM. Seems the night pattern for KTRH would be non-existent both places.
It would be tough but you might have a chance in the winter, since average local sunset at Houston is never any sooner than 5:15 pm and even that is only in December. Summer would be impossible since the latest average local sunset, per the FCC's online calculator, is 7:30 pm.

The next time you hear the Radio Fórmula station, check the webstreams for XEQN and XECAQ at mwlist.org. Both are Radio Fórmula branded, but their broadcasts are often not the same, and they'll sometimes mention their location (Torreón or Quintana Roo, respectively) with the R. Fórmula ID.
Remember, there are 3 separate Radio Fórmula networks,

"RADIOFÓRMULA
Cuenta con tres Cadenas nacionales con más de cien emisoras que transmiten su programación a la República Mexicana y a las principales plazas de habla hispana de los Estados Unidos y en radio satelital Sirius XM canal 156 con 26 millones de suscriptores."

So not all Formulas are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom