• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 710

cyberdad

Staff member
40 miles northwest of downtown Chicago.....

Days: All splatter from WGN (720). Transmitter site is 22 miles from my location.

Nights: Usually WOR with a weak signal, but strong enough to overcome the WGN splatter. I've also heard the R. Rebelde "chorus" from Cuba a few times, as well as KEEL from Shreveport on day power (which I believe was 10kw at the time). I've also heard then-WHB from Kansas City a couple of times during the 1980s. My most recent "new" catch on 710 was WDSM from Duluth-Superior (MN-WI). This was a few months ago, about an hour before sunrise and most likely they were running 10kw non-directional day power. I haven't heard them since.

Other locations: About 10 or 15 years ago, I heard KIRO just after sunset in Kenora, ON.....about 115 miles east of Winnipeg. At our beach location near Pensacola, The R. Rebelde "chorus" is audible 24/7. During the day, it's under semi-local WNTM from Mobile (1kw). At night, it's usually alone and strong after WNTM powers down.

From south Overland Park, Kansas:

Day: A strong 10 kW KCMO [formerly Top 40 WHB].

Night: A highly listenable 5 kW KCMO. However, at times I can hear very weak signals underneath. KCMO is a 5-tower directional both day and night but with different patterns. Both WLW on 700 kHz and WGN on 720 kHz often overcome adjacent channel splatter from KCMO at night. I am 35 miles SSW of the transmitter site.

Bob

In far NW WA state-

No surprise it's KIRO day and night. Driving around with the car radio, I have occasionally heard something unidentifiable underneath, but just barely.

East Tennessee: Despite its license expiration and status as deleted, daytime it's a weak DWEKC, Williamsburg, KY.

Night: A tossup between the Rebelde Chorus and WOR.

Retro/other: I've caught WEKC's signal just south of Cincinnati near sunset.
Edinburgh IN SDR: Sometime a couple of winters ago both the receiver owner and I caught a station with Rush Limbaugh in the 2pm hour. Odds are it was very early reception of WOR, The only other realistic possibility would have been WDSM, Superior WI.

Key Weat SDR has the Rebelde chorus with WAQI underneath.

In Columbus, slop from WLW during the day and WOR at night. It's never all that strong, or at least not as strong as I remember years ago. It's capable of putting a little slop onto WLW at night but usually just enough to be annoying, never to blot out programming.

In west Houston, days it's slop from local KSEV 700. Sunset/night is often a jumble of KEEL, KCMO, KGNC (before night pattern), and Rebelde, with KEEL usually on top. I also have a tentative on KURV and KNUS. It's tough because all the stations (excluding Rebelde!) have a similar news/talk format.

In Tulsa in the early 70's then-WHB put in a weak but listenable signal during the day. It was also the dominant station at night but with some competition (KEEL was also top-40 in those days). I heard WOR early on Monday mornings.

Last edited:
In west Houston, days it's slop from local KSEV 700. Sunset/night is often a jumble of KEEL, KCMO, KGNC (before night pattern), and Rebelde, with KEEL usually on top. I also have a tentative on KURV and KNUS. It's tough because all the stations (excluding Rebelde!) have a similar news/talk format.

In Tulsa in the early 70's then-WHB put in a weak but listenable signal during the day. It was also the dominant station at night but with some competition (KEEL was also top-40 in those days). I heard WOR early on Monday mornings.
The brief time I lived in Quincy, IL and worked in Hannibal, WHB was listenable during the day with an oldies format

In Columbus, slop from WLW during the day and WOR at night. It's never all that strong, or at least not as strong as I remember years ago. It's capable of putting a little slop onto WLW at night but usually just enough to be annoying, never to blot out programming.
When I lived in the Dayton area, I could sometimes null WLW and get WOR. Sometimes I'd catch a little bit of Joe Franklin's show overnight Saturday/Sunday.

In the near north Chicago suburbs I hear all WGN splatter during the day. Their transmitter is about 15 miles from me.
At night a weak WOR. Years ago WOR used to be much stronger. Other stations heard at night are Radio Rebelde and years ago the former WHB. I've also heard KEEL a few times.

Chicago by the lakeshore:

Daytime: nothing

Nighttime: WOR, but not too strong. Better than WFAN but not as good as WABC or WCBS. Although the Cuban stations usually don't come in too well for me, I have at least once heard Radio Rebelde on 710.

Retro: SF Bay Area, 80's. During the daytime, it was KFIA in Carmichael (near Sacramento). It was a Christian radio station then and it still is today. At night you could hear KIRO in Seattle, or KMPC Los Angeles.

Daytime: nothing or a weak KCMO Kansas City.
Nighttime: WOR or KCMO, sometimes WDSM Duluth-Superior. Hard to tell sometimes when it's WDSM since they have much the same kind of syndicated programming as KCMO.

East Tennessee: Despite its license expiration and status as deleted, daytime it's a weak DWEKC, Williamsburg, KY.
This station seems to be essentially operating as a pirate. I've seen some stations who got deleted continuing to file petitions to the Commission proposing that the commission's decisions were in error, but I don't see any such appeals related to DWEKC. You'd think the enforcement bureau would make a specific effort to monitor deleted stations.

This station seems to be essentially operating as a pirate. I've seen some stations who got deleted continuing to file petitions to the Commission proposing that the commission's decisions were in error, but I don't see any such appeals related to DWEKC. You'd think the enforcement bureau would make a specific effort to monitor deleted stations.
I went through what I could find on fccdata.com and all I could find out was their renewal was dismissed. Nothing else since then, no appeals, or anything (I couldn't even find the reason for the dismissal.).

In the southwest suburbs of Chicago:

Days, nothing.
Night, WOR is a regular. I don't know if it's stronger or weaker than years ago as I have much better equipment now. It used to be a struggle to put the radio in the right spot to both null WGN and boost WOR's signal to listen to the great Jean Shepherd weave his fanciful tales of his youth. Some nights, I was lucky. Now I can press a couple buttons and narrow the bandwidth and/or pick a sideband to pull it in.
I'd judge WOR fourth in average strength behind WABC, WNBC/WFAN and WCBS (which is about equal to 660 but beat up by WLS in my neck of the woods unless I detune to 878 or so).
I haven't spent a lot of time on 710 over the years, but one night last fall, listening to the WOR broadcast of Michigan-Rutgers football, Radio Rebelde barged in. Tonight, conditions aren't the greatest, but WOR or Rebelde is there depending on which way I swing the receiver.

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: slop from WGN just couple mile away from me
Nightime: WOR with fair to weak signal or one or more of the Radio Rebelde outlets

DX/RETRO: KEEL (Shreveport, lA), WPTR (Paris, TN), WDSm (Superior, WI), WFNR (Blacksburg, VA) are some of the other DX on this frequency. Also the ow closed CKVM (Ville-Marie, Quebec). As for Radio Rebelde, the past couple months they are more common than WOR when I tune to 710 kHz. MWLIST lists 7 different Radio Rebelde outlets, including two with 200 kW transmitters (Chambas and Marti), but I really doubt they are using such powers these days. More likely in the 50 kW range.

Central Louisiana

Day and night KEEL Shreveport. Directional antennas focused in my direction from roughly 115 miles away.

Often night reception is weaker than day due to power reduction.

Maybe a dumb question, but how far from a transmitting tower do you have to be to receive a skywave signal?

Last edited:
When I lived in the Dayton area, I could sometimes null WLW and get WOR. Sometimes I'd catch a little bit of Joe Franklin's show overnight Saturday/Sunday.

At least there you can turn the radio to a different direction to get WOR. I've done that in St. Marys, where WLW comes in even better than around here.
In Columbus, we're not on an exact line between Cincinnati and NYC but it's close, so not much nulling here. That said, WLW is of course markedly stronger than WOR at almost all times barring a big surge in the skywave signal from WOR.

I think we've been through this before, but CHYR 710 Leamington was the dominant signal in Michigan Days until it moved to 96.7 FM circa early 1990s. They eventually got Night service on 730 with 250, then 500, and then 1000 watts nominal power on 710 (700 watts with minimum Class II efficiency of 175 mV/m @ 1 mile @ 1 kW. The gain was partly from the pattern horizontal RMS gain.). There was a change in the rules that allowed this. However, due to complaints to the FCC about interference to WLW, they had to return to 730 at Night for a while. It was part of the argument to the CRTC that they needed to go to FM.

As an aside to the above post, this is one of the reasons WJYM on 730 from Bowling Green must send so much of its signal south. It throws some nasty nulls in every other direction, including toward Leamington, from its tower farm on U.S. 20/23 southeast of Perrysburg and almost due south of downtown Toledo.
While CHYR is no longer on 730, WJYM must still protect a station that no longer exists.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom