• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week 1700

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Mountain View, Hawaii ...

Daytime - Nothing

Nighttime - XEPE with KVNS sometimes there too.

I wouldn't be surprised if WJCC might even show up on rare occasion but I've never heard it.

From NW San Antonio:

Day: Blank, but occasionally KKLF in Richardson and often KVNS in Brownsville come in when there is daytime skywave.

Sunset: KVNS is the first to come up, with KKLF eventually appearing underneath.

Night: When the two stations go to night power/pattern, KKLF becomes fairly strong and dominates. Aiming east-ish I can partially null it and hear KVNS better. Occasionally XEPE in Tecate will pop up in that null.

Sunrise: KNVS dominates when it goes to day power and is last to fade.

DX/Retro: WEUP is a one-time catch that I made during an October 2018 sunset. I've heard KBGG just twice, both times at sunset.

Last edited:
Orange County, TX - at one time had KVNS on preset when they were oldies. Now they and KKLF fight it out with KKLF usually winning. KVNS is not what they were here.

Signal-wise (or programming :LOL:)? I remember they blanketed 1700 in suburban Houston in my days down there. Granted it's been 13 1/2 years since I lived in League City, but I don't remember hearing much of anything else. Even KKLF, which would be a natural. I was surprised I didn't hear those two signals clash much or at all. Even if I had the radio pointed in the "right" direction to hear KVNS, some co-channel interference probably would be present.

Signal-wise (or programming :LOL:)? I remember they blanketed 1700 in suburban Houston in my days down there. Granted it's been 13 1/2 years since I lived in League City, but I don't remember hearing much of anything else. Even KKLF, which would be a natural. I was surprised I didn't hear those two signals clash much or at all. Even if I had the radio pointed in the "right" direction to hear KVNS, some co-channel interference probably would be present.
At my QTH I'm mostly in a straight line for both so trying to null can be tricky. Gonna try to get other signals on 1700 when time permits.

South Mississippi:

Day: The Lake Ponchartrain Causeway TIS can often be heard near the coast
Night: mostly either
WEUP Huntsville, AL - Worship 94.5, or
KKLF Richardson, TX - Jalapeño Radio
rarely KVNS Brownsville, TX - Fox Sports

How is the groundwave signal locally? I've heard it very well in Galveston daytime thanks to that salt water path.
@schmave Pardon the interjection, but In my various journeys to the Valley, KVNS has a much better skywave signal than groundwave. The signal in Falfurrias or Kingsville is not what you might expect, given what KVNS provides in places like Galveston, Lake Charles, or even up here in Tyler-Longview.

Same holds true for a signal like WBAP or KRLD. I'm around 90 miles east of the Metroplex, and at night, both are absolutely buried here. Daytime is, of course, completely different. KRLD wipes out 1070 and 1090 with its IBOC buzz, and WBAP sounds like it broadcasts from next door.

No worries! Obviously that salt water path vastly enhances signals, and at 1700 that groundwave isn't going to be great even at 8,800 watts daytime. Nighttime, I can't imagine it gets more than a few miles out before being subject to interference.
Guessing you are in the cancellation zone for WBAP and KRLD as well. My parents, 20 miles east of me outside Columbus, are in WLW's cancellation zone and that signal suffers greatly at night with all the phasing, especially in the summer. Here, it's almost always rock solid. That circle always falls somewhere no matter the frequency or wattage.

Yes I am in most certainly in both stations cancelation zone, @schmave. WLW is, although not rock solid, regularly a part of the nighttime dial here. I can attest to the salt water of the Gulf greatly enhancing signals like KVNS. I've heard KTRH and KBME from Houston all the way to the Florida panhandle. Not certain that the Gulf assists WODT New Orleans, but it's a rather strong signal here most every night. I think that is the reason the old KLUE in Longview was forced to only operate during the daytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom