• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 1580:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have a multi-system AM Stereo signal generator, but I mostly use C-Quam.

And now a week later, thinks are back to normal, reception-wise. No peep from the TIS within my neighborhood. Maybe it was some weird "critical hours" DX? I mostly heard it when driving to work about a half-hour after sunrise and then back home around a half-hour after sunset.

From DFW, Texas:

1580 KGAF TX Gainesville 11/11/2021 1100 LOCAL AC
1580 KFCS CO Colorado Springs 11/18/2021 1820 SS music standards // stream fair
1580 KAGE AR Van Buren 11/26/2021 2358 Country on top with fading // stream
1580 KWED TX Seguin 2/9/2022 2125 HS or College Basketball, KWED ID, Seguin ad, good then faded.
1580 KOKB OK Blackwell 2/18/2022 1852 Ponca City wrestling and ads. Fair to good mix with KWED.

Last night (March 2, 2023) a top 40 station briefly came in on 1580. I couldn't get the ID, but they mentioned something about hits and 104.5 FM which must be a translator. Any ideas what station it may have been on 1580?

Central Kentucky:
WWTF Georgetown with 10 KW days. I lose it when they drop to 46 watts nights.
They have a translator on 97.7 but it is too weak here.
Have heard it at sunset in the winter at my daughter's house in Winston Salem NC.

Central Kentucky:
WWTF Georgetown with 10 KW days. I lose it when they drop to 46 watts nights.
They have a translator on 97.7 but it is too weak here.
Have heard it at sunset in the winter at my daughter's house in Winston Salem NC.
We thought all the old "frequency of the week" threads were locked. Please don't post to any that is not current.

I don’t see the logic behind locking these threads. Seems better to keep the conversation on specific frequencies going which leaving the “new DX” thread to general conditions, multiple catches, etc. And it saves Cyberdad the trouble of starting a new thread; keep them open and he can draw attention to the old one and we can note changes more easily rather than having to look at an old thread first, then repost on a new one.

We thought all the old "frequency of the week" threads were locked. Please don't post to any that is not current.
Please accept my apologies, as I'm new here, and it didn't show closed. Although most of them did show closed. My presumption of a dialog box to enter comments and lack of a " this thread is closed" message, constituted an open thread.

Please accept my apologies, as I'm new here, and it didn't show closed. Although most of them did show closed. My presumption of a dialog box to enter comments and lack of a " this thread is closed" message, constituted an open thread.
I definitely see @KD4YQR's point. Many of the "special use" forums on Radio Discussions which are unique or have some specific "rules of the road" have a post from the moderator pinned as the first thread, listing the rules for that particular forum for all users to see and understand. Adding something like that to Frequency of the Week may prove helpful to newer members as well. Either that, or the moderators should perhaps be more vigilant with locking older threads, pinning/unpinning the newest ones, etc.

I definitely see @KD4YQR's point. Many of the "special use" forums on Radio Discussions which are unique or have some specific "rules of the road" have a post from the moderator pinned as the first thread, listing the rules for that particular forum for all users to see and understand. Adding something like that to Frequency of the Week may prove helpful to newer members as well. Either that, or the moderators should perhaps be more vigilant with locking older threads, pinning/unpinning the newest ones, etc.
The newer cycle of frequencies has been set with times. We went through lots of older ones, but missed a few as it's slow and tedious work to do each one individually.

First of all. Welcome to the board. You're among friends here, and we're looking forward to your posts. Closing older threads is my responsibility, so the open threads are ones that I've missed for one reason or another. I'm currently going through the tFOTW threads should be locked. Note that we've locked them, rather than deleted them, so they're still there for anyone who wishes to revisit them.
The newer cycle of frequencies has been set with times. We went through lots of older ones, but missed a few as it's slow and tedious work to do each one individually.
Primarily, we came to the decision to lock older FOTW threads in order to keep these conversations focused on fresh topics. Since these threads take about two years to recycle, many contain outdated info, Better to start anew. We announced our decision in advance of implementation and encouraged feedback. Suffice to say that by a large majority of those responding were in agreement. If anyone here has something new to share regarding any frequency or station, you certainly can. "Post Your Latest DX" will typically be the best place to do this, Otherwise, you can simply start a new thread.

Hope that explains it. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

Last edited:
First of all. Welcome to the board. You're among friends here, and we're looking forward to your posts. Closing older threads is my responsibility, so the open threads are ones that I've missed for one reason or another. I'm currently going through the tFOTW threads should be locked. Note that we've locked them, rather than deleted them, so they're still there for anyone who wishes to revisit them.

Primarily, we came to the decision to lock older FOTW threads in order to keep these conversations focused on fresh topics. Since these threads take about two years to recycle, many contain outdated info, Better to start anew. We announced our decision in advance of implementation and encouraged feedback. Suffice to say that by a large majority of those responding were in agreement. If anyone here has something new to share regarding any frequency or station, you certainly can. "Post Your Latest DX" will typically be the best place to do this, Otherwise, you can simply start a new thread.

Hope that explains it. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)
Thank you for the clarification. I've been reading everyone's posts for years so I decided to join.

I'm by no means a "radio pro" but just one who grew up enjoying, and still enjoys radio.

I appreciate the hard work that the admins and moderators put into this site.
Thanks again.

Thank you for the clarification. I've been reading everyone's posts for years so I decided to join.

I'm by no means a "radio pro" but just one who grew up enjoying, and still enjoys radio.
We're glad you're here. Most of those here have worked in radio, but some of us are just fans/followers, etc. such as yourself. Doesn't matter. Your posts make very clear that you know what you're talking about. Keep 'em coming. As for me, I spent 14 years in radio but I left to get into the parallel universe of print and online publishing. Or as one station owner I worked for put it: I "decided to leave the business and go straight". But I never lost even the slightest interest in DXing, as well as following the business.

Radio is like malaria. You never quite get it out of your blood!

So I'm now into the business of closing the old FOTW threads. That'll take a few more days. I've left this particular one open for a short time so you or anyone else interested can have their say if so inclined.

Cape May County:
A very weak WGYM simulcasting EWTN Radio. At one point, the signal was a simulcast for WOND, and briefly aired the ESPN Radio lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom