• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 1400

cyberdad

Staff member
Crystal Lake, IL

Days; WRJN from Racine, WI with a fair-weak signal

Nights: I've been monitoring 1400 this week in the hope that something identifiable would rise to the top. The "rising to the top" wasn't an isssue. "Identifiable" was another matter entirely. I haven't spent all that much time o 1400, but my catches include WRDB, from Richmond Center, WI, WBIZ from Eau Claire, WI, and KFRU from Columbia, MO.

Other location: Earlier this months, I got my first graveyard frequency TA catch on the Westfjords, Iceland SDR. CBG from Gander, Newfoundland. Not all that special considering CBG runs 4kw, but still a nice summertime catch.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the near north Chicago suburbs: daytime WRJN with a fair/decent signal. At night a more crowded 1400 yields a tougher to hear WRJN and many stations underneath. I have heard WRDB a few times.

East Tennessee: WGAP, Marysville By ,diplexing on the WKVL tower. Night, a bunch of graveyard mess with WGAP sometimes on top.

Dayton, OH area: Days----The last breath of WBAT, Marion, IN if anything next to WING. Otherwise graveyard mess.

KRLN Canon City, CO.. KFTM FT Morgan CO .. KBRB Ainsworth, NE.. KJYE Delta, CO and KCOW Alliance, NE are all ive heard on 1400 in Laramie, WY

KRLN haand KBRB was after dark.. KJYE KFTM and KCOW are right at sunrise or right before sunset

Chicago by the lakeshore:

This is an interesting one for me. During the day, both WRJN in Racine, WI and WSJM St Joseph, MI come in pretty well. What that means is when I'm driving around, they'll alternate and both can come in pretty well. Sometimes I'll get a pulsating combination of the two stations. I'm guessing the fact that they are coming from perpendicular directions contributes to the effect.

At night it's a big jumble. The only ID I've made is WGIL in Galesburg IL.

Chicago by the lakeshore:

This is an interesting one for me. During the day, both WRJN in Racine, WI and WSJM St Joseph, MI come in pretty well. What that means is when I'm driving around, they'll alternate and both can come in pretty well. Sometimes I'll get a pulsating combination of the two stations. I'm guessing the fact that they are coming from perpendicular directions contributes to the effect.

At night it's a big jumble. The only ID I've made is WGIL in Galesburg IL.

I spent a week in the New Buffalo area of southwest Michigan a couple of summers ago. On Lake Michigan, about five miles from the Indiana border. WSJM is located about 15 miles from where we were in an area with lousy ground conductivity. 1400 there was a fair daytime signal from WSJM, but nulling it a a clearly audible WRJN.

As for WGIL... I've heard them here in Crystal Lake, but it's probably been 20 or 30 years ago. WGIL was a daytime regular at my college location in southeast Iowa.

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: normally just WRJN Racine, WI although WSJM also heard in the past (back in 1980's)
Nightime: just like any other graveyard frequency, a jumbled mess

DX/RETRO: Besides WRJN and WSJM the only other logs are WBAT (Marion, IN), WDUZ (Green Bay, WI and KILE (Galveston, TX) during a frequency check broadcast.

I spent a week in the New Buffalo area of southwest Michigan a couple of summers ago. On Lake Michigan, about five miles from the Indiana border. WSJM is located about 15 miles from where we were in an area with lousy ground conductivity. 1400 there was a fair daytime signal from WSJM, but nulling it a a clearly audible WRJN.

As for WGIL... I've heard them here in Crystal Lake, but it's probably been 20 or 30 years ago. WGIL was a daytime regular at my college location in southeast Iowa.

I just got WGIL again, on the 7PM hour. Lately right before sunset I've been getting good results in that WSW/SW direction. For example I also just got an ID for 1600 KATZ in St Louis for the first time, right after hearing WGIL.

I just got WGIL again, on the 7PM hour. Lately right before sunset I've been getting good results in that WSW/SW direction. For example I also just got an ID for 1600 KATZ in St Louis for the first time, right after hearing WGIL.

With fall coming up soon you should be getting even better sunset DX.

West Central Georgia:

Day: WANI Opelika AL News/Talk weak signal

Night: Just noise

Early morning: Have heard WPRY Perry FL Classic Hits and WXAL Demopolis AL Urban R&B

From NW San Antonio

Day - A weak KGWU in Uvalde. If I aim SE, there’s a bit of splatter from my nearby nemesis, 1350 KXTN.

Sunset - KHCB (League City), KUNO (Corpus Christi), KTEM (Temple), and KGVL (Greenville) all start to pop up.

Night - Besides the sunset visitors, I’ll sometimes hear the following popping in and out: KIUN (Pecos), KVRP (Stamford), KREW (Plainview), KEBE (Jacksonville), and XESH (Sabinas Hidalgo, NL).

Sunrise - Similar to sunset.

DX/Retro - Stations I’ve heard only once include KEYE (Perryton), KBYG (Big Spring), KKTK (Texarkana), and KREF (Norman, OK). KCYK (Yuma, AZ) is my longest graveyard catch at 973 miles, and I’ve heard it briefly on several occasions.

From Orange County, TX, where Laura took down my amateur, scanner & longwire antennas, it's always a daytime mix of KHCB League City, Houston market, and KAOK Lake Charles, LA which is currently silent due to Laura, nights its the usual GY mess.

From Orange County, TX, where Laura took down my amateur, scanner & longwire antennas, it's always a daytime mix of KHCB League City, Houston market, and KAOK Lake Charles, LA which is currently silent due to Laura, nights its the usual GY mess.

Sorry to hear about the damage. Hope everything is OK.

Middays here it's solely a feeble WEST, some 50-55 miles east of here, from -- where else? -- Easton PA, right there on the Delaware. They barely make it here. Sometimes I can get the aroma from the Crayola factory more clearly.
No peep of WICK Scranton. They're farther away. As Jim-SAtx seems to suggest, WICK seems more of a SSS or SRS pursuit.

Sunrise here provided a nice tape ID of WINC in Virginia.

Sunsets: WKEW from NC, another taped one.

Nights: WWIN Baltimore and WPCE from Norfolk. Back in what Jim and others call the retro days of Monday Morning, WWIN used to be the regular, most often on top of 1400 back near JFK Airport. On dull reception nights WEST and WABY Albany would bubble up for a while. But the dial was so much clearer then. And far more stations signed off MM's. Semi-local WSTC Stamford CT and water-path WOND Atlantic City were two such stations to be courteous.

Middays here it's solely a feeble WEST, some 50-55 miles east of here, from -- where else? -- Easton PA

Ah, yes. WEST fron Easton, PA. A place not to be confused with North East, PA. Which is east of Erie, but not much else in the state. On my biz trips when I did the Cleveland to Toronto run, North East was the last pit stop on I-90 before it crossed the state line and became the New York Thruway. Only about an hour's drive from Buffalo, but barely a whiff from flamethrower WWKB on 1520.

Sorry to hear about the damage. Hope everything is OK.

Thanks-yes all is ok with us, a few shingles and boucoup limbs/branches and fences. One plus on Laura is that now my noise floor has dropped to almost nothing, would be nice if it lasted, and since I'm running barefoot for a while I was surprised how many AM stations I'm receiving. Using a new 909X. Of course there are what's left of the south-of-the border pests & Cuba.

Thanks-yes all is ok with us, a few shingles and boucoup limbs/branches and fences. One plus on Laura is that now my noise floor has dropped to almost nothing, would be nice if it lasted, and since I'm running barefoot for a while I was surprised how many AM stations I'm receiving. Using a new 909X. Of course there are what's left of the south-of-the border pests & Cuba.

Glad to hear you're doing OK, WCJ. Hope you're able to get the shingles and fence repaired soon.

Glad you're OK. Good luck!

Baldwin Co., Ala.

Day: Nothing
Nights: The only thing I can recall hearing recently is WANI Opelika, AL around sunset.

On the beach at the state line daytime it's a weak WNUE from Fort Walton Beach. A good top 40 station back in the day. Mostly "canned" talk the last time I visited.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom