• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 1220

I was looking up to see what stations in Canada still operated on 1220 kHz.

Instead, the first AM 1220 Wikipedia article that came up was for AM-1220, a Controlled Substance. I had to laugh in that WLSD (whose callsign long preceded LSD) is on 1220!

Very little around Columbus, Ohio day or night other than some slop from local WYTS on 1230.
WHKW sends very little signal this way, so it's a tough catch at night and nonexistent during the day.

Daytime here it's WJUN from Mexico PA (JUNiata County). which is an agricultural region as opposed to a coal county. WJUN is listed now as being 'Sports'. They've had the same WJUN call letters since sign on in the 50's. Place them about 28 miles NW of Harrisburg. 1000 watts omni day and 46 watts omni at night. People's Holiday decorations can be seen from further away that that. I wouldn't bet against them being on that nationwide network of stations that develop amnesia during high school sports in winter and forget to drop power.

One other daytime catch here was off daytime skywave at about 1PM, when oldies WGNY Newburg NY was like a semi-local that splashed onto WPHT 1210 Philly from time to time.

One sunset I caught WFAX Fairfax VA.
Nighttimes it's a station I'll always call WGAR, hi.

Brian
Dalton, GA

1220 kHz is super hard frequency to DX on.

I can hear severe splatter from WBLJ, and it's difficult to null to get WCPH from Etowah in the day. At night, I can get a faint sounding Spanish station from Birmingham, Alabama.
I agree that 1220 isn't easy in most locations, but if you keep after it, given your location in the southeast, my guess is that you could eventually catch XEB from Mexico City.

Daytime here it's WJUN from Mexico PA (JUNiata County). which is an agricultural region as opposed to a coal county. WJUN is listed now as being 'Sports'. They've had the same WJUN call letters since sign on in the 50's. Place them about 28 miles NW of Harrisburg. 1000 watts omni day and 46 watts omni at night. People's Holiday decorations can be seen from further away that that. I wouldn't bet against them being on that nationwide network of stations that develop amnesia during high school sports in winter and forget to drop power.

Is WJUN still sports or no? I haven't been through the area in many years, was an ESPN affiliate I believe. 7 Mountains Media bought them almost 3 years ago, figured it had flipped to music now that WJUN has a FM translator.

I've logged just couple stations on 1220 -- KPJC in Salem, OR (used to be Hebrew Nation Radio, now is conservative talk) and a pop / classic hits station from Santa Clarita, California (Canyon Country, actually) KHTS. Most nights I get a spur from local 1620 KYIZ. Doesn't matter which radio.

Just my two cents worth as the originator of the Frequency of the Week threads....

I personally don't have a problem with FOTW threads being revived....even if the Freqency of the thread is scheduled to come up in the near future In the case of 1220, I expect to be talking about that one in the latter portion of the year.

That said, I also don't have a problem if our moderators decide to ban or discourage reviving old threads. Or if someone else would like to take over the weekly posts.

Personally, I like doing them because they serve the function of launching a fresh discussion every week. Yes, we're bringing back previously used topics, but given the roughly 2-year interval between each Frequency of the Week, there are often new developments on different channels, as well as new people to join the discussions.

Again, just my two cents. I defer to whatever works for you guys. :)

Just my two cents worth as the originator of the Frequency of the Week threads....

I personally don't have a problem with FOTW threads being revived....even if the Freqency of the thread is scheduled to come up in the near future In the case of 1220, I expect to be talking about that one in the latter portion of the year.

That said, I also don't have a problem if our moderators decide to ban or discourage reviving old threads. Or if someone else would like to take over the weekly posts.

Personally, I like doing them because they serve the function of launching a fresh discussion every week. Yes, we're bringing back previously used topics, but given the roughly 2-year interval between each Frequency of the Week, there are often new developments on different channels, as well as new people to join the discussions.

Again, just my two cents. I defer to whatever works for you guys. :)
No problem at all with the revival (unless we're having a Mississippi Squirrel Revival). I haven't decided to revive FM Frequency of the Week because 200 channels is a 3 year project. But we'll see.

Personally, I don't have an issue either way. Frequencies themselves don't change, but MW conditions change and the stations on the frequencies change -- sometimes they go off the air. Either way the frequency threads are presented is fine with me. In my own case, the spur from a local on 1220 started presenting itself some time after the last 1220 thread was posted. So that would be a change.

As a DXer for more years than I care to mention, I enjoy the frequency of the week. It's interesting to note what's heard today compared to what us long time Dxers heard years ago. Also, I enjoy throwing in what I hear when I'm in different locations as well as the locations of all the participants.
So I say cyberdad keep em coming. You're doing a good job.

WCPH, Etowah TN which is near me and usually provides a very weak signal did a DX test a couple of months ago, which I could barely hear, but was widely heard otherwise.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom