• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 1180

Status
Not open for further replies.
From NW San Antonio:

Day: Just some slop from 1160 KRDY, five miles down the road.

Sunset: Catholic station KLPF in Midland, TX, starts to come up to the NW/SE and eventually has a good signal. Later, R. Rebelde in Cuba can be heard underneath, and it takes over when KPLF goes to night power and mostly disappears. To the NE, where the splatter is strongest, WJNT in Jackson, MS, is in/out. Later, WGUE "La Jefa" in Turrell, AR, often comes up for a while with regional Mexican music.

Night: The slop is gone when KRDY drops to 1 kW, but then 1170 KTSB's IBOC hash comes up annoyingly at times. Aiming NW/SE I can null it out and usually hear R. Rebelde. When it's strong, I sometimes hear another Rebelde underneath it with a slight lag. On rare occasions I'll hear a weak KLPF for brief bits. Aiming NE/SW, when the hash isn't overpowering, I hear XEFR "Radio Felicidad" in Mexico City in and out. Occasionally WJNT in Jackson, MS, will mix in weakly.

Sunrise: XEFR is stronger, and WJNT comes up fairly steady when it goes to day power. KLPF puts in a good signal when it goes to day power, and it is the last to fade. I've heard WGUE once at sunrise.

DX/Retro: My only one-time catch on 1180 has been KZOT in Bellevue, NE, which I heard one sunrise back in 2016. KGOL in Humble, TX, was a regular here starting at sunset, but I haven't heard a trace of it since it went silent and then came back on low power a few years ago.

I would be surprised if WHAM is very difficult daytime in Conneaut. The signal has deteriorated some in recent years (thanks, Vertical Bridge, for questionable maintenance of the site and ground system), but the ground connectivity up here is still decent enough that you'll have some day signal there if overall conditions aren't too noisy.
You bring up a question I've not heard asked: when an AM station sells its site to a tower company, how is the maintenance of the ground and the tuning of the tower (ATU) conducted? Does the AM still maintain the ground and tower tuning or is it also passed over to the vertical real estate company?

West Houston TX:

Daytime: weak signal from low-powered local KGOL, with ethnic programming.
Sunset: KGOL disappears and Radio Rebelde echoes start coming up, along with WJNT. KLPF in Midland TX is there for a while but disappears at their sunset.
Night: Rebelde usually strong, and WJNT
Sunrise: Rebelde takes a while to fade after Cuban sunrise. WJNT is strong when they go to day power. KLPF pops in when they go to day power.

I've heard other Spanish language mixing in but haven't been able to ID yet.

Clifton, New Jersey

Days: Some of my more sensitive radios receive faint imaging from 1480 WZRC New York, NY. The transmitter is only 7 miles away from me, which could be what causes the imaging on 1180.

Nights: I receive WHAM "NewsRadio WHAM 1180", Rochester, NY, which airs News/Talk programming. Reception varies between weak and good. Radio Rebelde from Cuba can sometimes be heard underneath WHAM. I was even able to null out WHAM once to get it.

Boise ID
Sunset/sunrise KLAY Lakewood WA & KOFI. Sometime KERN.
Not sure if KCKQ NV is still on the air.
Nights mostly KOFI now that KERN has fixed their DA and dropped their day & night power to 10 kw.
Of course in the background most nights the Cuban Echo.

Interesting how 50,000 WHAM Rochester NY is *not* logged in so many dens here,
Irrespective of the spray of those newer nighttime 1180 signals, the expectations for a big omni like WHAM to shoulder them aside with regularity should be more hospitable, no?
Is WHAM one of those stations too far uncomfortably 'North' to deal with the umbrella rim of the Aurora Borealis? After all, their tower's latitude is farther north than are Detroit, Chicago, Boston and even Schenectady (home to similarly signal-plagued WGY).
See, to my layman's brain, the Northern Lights are never 'off' completely. Corrections are awaited, engineers and physicists*, but in the meantime if such a theory is accurate, AM stations at the more Northern latitudes are always in the neighbourhood where Auroral turmoil is going on.

(Flunked both Physics 1 and Physics 2 in high school ..... had to take BOTH again in eighth term and passed each with a 65 .... never knew until bartending school why it was vital to know the formula for how a theoretical ball of ice rolling down a frictionless plane heated to a given temperature would turn to steam.)

East central Iowa:
Nothing daytime.
Nights: usually WHAM. Sometimes Cuba is audible.
Sidebar: when I was a little kid I would sometimes fall asleep listening to CBS Mystery Theatre on WHAM.

I think there are a few issues with WHAM - there's a lot of reason to believe the ground system at their site is not working well, for one thing, but also it's simply not a clear channel because of all the RF beaming north from Cuba.

I think there are a few issues with WHAM - there's a lot of reason to believe the ground system at their site is not working well,
Wouldn't surprise me. WHAM seems to definitely weaker here as of late. I even was hearing local pipsqueak WSQR underneath it one night a couple of weeks ago. Also. at the beach last month, WHAM was MIA for the first time ever. Although the Cuban Rebelde Chorus sounded like the power may havw been reduced...or transmitters shut off. (Yet still present 24/7).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom