• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 1150

cyberdad

Staff member
40-ish miles northwest of downtown Chicago....

Days: 1150 is splatter from local WYLL (1160)

Nights: Usually WHBY from Appleton, WI makes it to the top of the pile with a fair signal. I used to sometimes hear KSAL from Salina, KS, but not recently.

Other Location: WHBY has been fairly frequenty heard during past winter DX seasons on both the Iceland and Norway Arctic SDRs.

Retro: WisN was the Milwaukee occupant of 1150 for many years before flipping to 1130 in 1965. 5kw with the same pattern day and night. I never heard it here during the daytime due to the splatter from 1160 (then WJJD). At night with WJJD off (after Salt Lake City sunset) WISN came through with a fair signal.

1150 was also home to a 500-watt daytimer, WJRL, from Rockford, IL. About 35 miles west of me. The signal never made it to my location due to WJRL's tight pattern protecting WISN and WJJD. Too bad! It was a nice little top-40 rocker.

Fast forward to the more recent past, and for most of the past decade CKOC was usually on top of 1150 at nightround here. I'm not sure if their night pattern was out of whack or if they just weren't bothering with it. Whatever, the "problem" seems to have gotten fixed a couple of years ago,

In the near north Chicago suburbs 1150 is all WYLL splatter during the day. Their daytime facilities are not very far from me.
At night it's a different story as WYLL transmits from a different location much further from me. The result is usually a weak WHBY.
I used to occasionally hear CKOC also.

Chicago by the lakeshore:

During the day nothing, at night it's WHBY Green Bay which comes in moderately well. Occasionally around sunset before WHBY dominates, WGGH in Marion, IL will still be on its daytime 5KW power and I'll hear it. I haven't ever heard any other stations.

Chicago by the lakeshore:

....WGGH in Marion, IL will still be on its daytime 5KW power and I'll hear it.

Quick little story: For a short time in the 70s, I worked with a guy who came to us from WGGH and was glad to be out of there...

Me: " I didn't know Marion had a radio station."

Him: (Pause) "They damn near don't"

That comment notwithstanding, WGGH does have a very good daytime signal.

East Tennessee: (Knoxville-Sevierville) Days, WCRK, Morristown TN.
Night, WCRK with a Hodge podge of others

Retro/other: Dayton, OH area, WIMA, Lima, OH with some WMST, Mt. Sterling KY

Even more retro: It wasn't DX from where I was, but I remember listening to WCUE, Akron OH from Canton with plenty of other signals underneath.

Western fringe of Phoenix this frequency seems blank at night, to the casual portable listener. I’ve been surprised to not receive KEIB except on the occasional fade-in. Right now it is one of at least two, and I think 3, talk-radio stations all muddled together in the noise. Even KCKY over in Coolidge is only occasionally there in the mixed traffic and noise.

There’s also classical music playing down there in the noise. Anyone have any idea who that might be? I’ll try again early in the morning.

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: splash from WYLL
Nightime: WHBY most likely to be heard. CKOC was common in the past but no longer.

DX/RETRO: now that WYLL uses a different site at night 1150 provides a better chance for DX. Besides WHBY I was able to hear the following stations on this frequency: KEZQ (N. Little Rock, AR), KDIX (Dickinson, ND), WGGH (Marion, IL), WCRK (Morristown, TN), CKOC (Hamilton, ON), CJRC (Gatineau, PQ), CKX (Brandon, MB), YVMN (Punto Fijo, Venezuela)

Reynoldsburg, Ohio ...
Daytime: Usually the last traces of Lima's WIMA. Very weak on this side of Columbus, somewhat better signal on the other side of the metro.
Nighttime: Haven't tried this frequency in years, but I remember times in the 90s when WIMA could be picked out of the mush and sometimes CKOC as well. I remember hearing a weak CKOC under WIMA occasionally at night in St. Marys, Ohio, about 15-20 miles southwest of WIMA's tower.

Mason City, IA:
Days: A decent signal from KWKY/Des Moines, with WEAQ/Chippewa Falls, WI (Eau Claire area) sneaking in on certain days, albeit weak.
Nights: Mostly hash.

Central KS:
Days: Clear signal from KSAL/Salina.
Nights: Still KSAL, though obviously powered down. Have never been able to receive anything else that’s distinguishable.

In west Houston, during the day it's KZNE in College Station, about an hour north of me. In the winter, somethings underneath them, probably KCCT from Corpus Christi and/or KBPO. At sunset it's a mess, with a jumble now including WJBO. At night WJBO dominates the frequency with KZNE rarely competing with them after they switch to night pattern. At sunrise, WJBO hangs in there but KZNE starts to take over when they go to day pattern.

At sunset it's a mess, with a jumble now including WJBO. At night WJBO dominates the frequency with KZNE rarely competing with them after they switch to night pattern. At sunrise, WJBO hangs in there but KZNE starts to take over when they go to day pattern.

WJBO's day signal is good in and around New Orleans. Especially since going to 15kw aimed southeast. It's also audible (if not listenable) in Mobile and Pensacola.

1150 seems to be something of a home for Rimshots. In this short thread alone, we've had three examples of signals from a smaller city that are near city grade in bigger ones. In addition to WJBO, we've talked about CKOC, which easily covers Toronto, and WHBY, which easily covers Green Bay.

Any others?

From NW San Antonio:

Day: Heavy splatter from nearby 10 KW 1160 KRDY. This frequency reminds me that I need to get my Sony ICF-2010 fixed. Its sync detector works better than the 1 kHz bandwidth setting on my DSP radios in eliminating adjacent channel splatter.

Sunset: The splatter is very slightly reduced if I aim NW/SE, and XEJP in Mexico City can be heard there. Aiming directly east I get WJBO.

Night: KRDY drops to 1 kW but still generates a fair amount of splatter. WJBO is most dominant. Aiming north, KSAL in Salina is in/out, and KOLJ in Qanah, TX, can often be heard until it goes to night power. Aiming NW/SE, XEJP and to a lesser extent KZNE in College Station are in/out under WJBO. Aiming NE/SW, a weak XEUAS in Culiacán sometimes pops up briefly.

Sunrise: WJBO is still dominant. I can usually hear a really weak KNED in McAlester, OK, for a bit when it goes to day power. KOLJ also reappears after it powers up. KSAL and XEJP are both a little stronger, and the latter is the last station remaining before KRDY splatter takes over.

DX/RETRO: I've logged KHRO in El Paso one time. Also, I heard KCCT in Corpus Christi once during a late afternoon about six years ago. It was likely when KRDY was off air and between formats.

West Central Georgia:

Days: Weak signal from WJRD Tuscaloosa,AL 20000/1000 oldies station

Nights: A mess, with WGOW Chattanooga TN 5000/1000 news/talk heard most often
Other stations heard include WJBO Baton Rouge LA 15000/5000 news/talk, WSNW Seneca SC 5000/58 "The Lake" - soft rock, and WXKO Fort Valley GA 1000/62 sports

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom