• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM DX by the dashboard lights

I've got a long commute to work everyday and usually pass the time by cruising up and down the AM band in the mornings. I parked it on AM 550 this morning, left the house and headed towards Grand Rapids (I-96, 70 mph, windows rolled up for those concerned). WKRC usually dominates 550 here, and KTRS to a lesser extent. For whatever reason, those two weren't present this morning. Instead an ad came across for "Cedar Eaters of Texas", and then into a talk program, then it faded out. I heard some call letters that sounded similar to "KTSA" , but it was during a fade (always my luck). Also heard a phone number with a 210 area code, but that was about it. I just went to KTSA's website and sent a letter requesting verification describing the ad I heard and time and almost immediately received a friendly response of verification via email from the station's Director of Operations. I guess I should have asked for a QSL card :) Anyway reception was at 7:24 AM local EST from the vehicle's stock radio, estimated distance around 1150-1200 miles and probably my furthest catch from the car. Here's hoping tomorrow's commute will be as rewarding...

kilokat7 said:
I've got a long commute to work everyday and usually pass the time by cruising up and down the AM band in the mornings. I parked it on AM 550 this morning, left the house and headed towards Grand Rapids (I-96, 70 mph, windows rolled up for those concerned). WKRC usually dominates 550 here, and KTRS to a lesser extent. For whatever reason, those two weren't present this morning. Instead an ad came across for "Cedar Eaters of Texas", and then into a talk program, then it faded out. I heard some call letters that sounded similar to "KTSA" , but it was during a fade (always my luck). Also heard a phone number with a 210 area code, but that was about it. I just went to KTSA's website and sent a letter requesting verification describing the ad I heard and time and almost immediately received a friendly response of verification via email from the station's Director of Operations. I guess I should have asked for a QSL card :) Anyway reception was at 7:24 AM local EST from the vehicle's stock radio, estimated distance around 1150-1200 miles and probably my furthest catch from the car. Here's hoping tomorrow's commute will be as rewarding...

This is a good time for early morning DX. Sept & Oct usually pull in my best catches in the car.
Driving down the Chicago area expressways I've often heard KNX right around Chicago sunrise in late Oct.
The grayline at that time of year seems to favor that propagation.

kilokat7 said:
II heard some call letters that sounded similar to "KTSA" , but it was during a fade (always my luck). Also heard a phone number with a 210 area code, but that was about it.

KTSA is a regional monster down here. Years ago, I was able to null much closer KCRS Midland and hear them clearly in Lubbock, TX in the daytime. In the days before a local 540 signed on in Dallas, they were an easy catch in Dallas. In Houston, they are almost a match for KLVI in signal level on the west side of town.

Arizona logged this morning (first for me), again from the car, right at local sunrise. 660, KTNN, Window Rock, AZ. with c/w music and clear ID through 670 Chicago's slop. They were all alone on the channel until WMIC came on just before 8am EST. Anyone who needs AZ may want to check for them on 660 around sunrise, signal was very strong with good audio...

kilokat7 said:
I heard some call letters that sounded similar to "KTSA"

Considering that KTSA was still on their night pattern at the time, with a very pronounced null toward you, it's pretty amazing. That's almost 1,200 miles!

kilokat7 said:
Arizona logged this morning (first for me), again from the car, right at local sunrise. 660, KTNN, Window Rock, AZ. with c/w music and clear ID through 670 Chicago's slop. They were all alone on the channel until WMIC came on just before 8am EST. Anyone who needs AZ may want to check for them on 660 around sunrise, signal was very strong with good audio...

I'd love to try for KTNN, but WSCR's slop will probably kill it for me.

radioman148 said:

I get Spanish language cr_p here in Houston, maybe KSKY has a legitimate gripe!

rbrucecarter5 said:
kilokat7 said:
II heard some call letters that sounded similar to "KTSA" , but it was during a fade (always my luck). Also heard a phone number with a 210 area code, but that was about it.

KTSA is a regional monster down here. Years ago, I was able to null much closer KCRS Midland and hear them clearly in Lubbock, TX in the daytime. In the days before a local 540 signed on in Dallas, they were an easy catch in Dallas. In Houston, they are almost a match for KLVI in signal level on the west side of town.

You won't get any better than having a signal on 550 with this strong ground conductivity. I'll vouch for what Bruce says; at my workplace off the West Tollway here in Houston, 550 and 560 are of equal strength even though KLVI is about 60-70 miles closer. KTSA does not blast in here at night but is very audible. I imagine they get out at least 350 miles across other parts of Texas.
I am finally getting some chances to get out and DX again in the evening and posts like this get me excited to do so. There are a few places around my area where houses are scheduled to be built but none are up yet, so maybe I'll drive into those places after nightfall. Very little power interference and it's practically in the country where no one drives.

rbrucecarter5 said:
radioman148 said:

There are several licensed and conforming operations in Mexico that would likely be the best signals out of a variety of bad signals on 660 in the Houston area.

The Monterrey, NL, station is closest and a likely candidate... format is all news and talk.Next would be the Cd. Delicias, Chih., station. And the Tampico, Tamps station has an almost pure water path to you.

DavidEduardo said:
rbrucecarter5 said:
radioman148 said:

There are several licensed and conforming operations in Mexico that would likely be the best signals out of a variety of bad signals on 660 in the Houston area.

The Monterrey, NL, station is closest and a likely candidate... format is all news and talk.Next would be the Cd. Delicias, Chih., station. And the Tampico, Tamps station has an almost pure water path to you.

Everywhere I've heard 660 in Houston, it's KSKY. They are audible under KIKK's slop in many places, a testimony to their signal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom