• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Aluminum Circles

Fred Richards

Inactive
Inactive User
I'm restoring an old console. If you're an old curmudgeon like me you remember in the middle of the knobs there was an aluminum circle, some of which were colored to designate the input device.

I'm restoring an Autogram IC1010 which was also a Collins IC10A.

Does anyone know a source for these? I need about 10. If I can get some in colors that would be great. If not, no big deal.

Looks like nobody will reply..............

Have you tried a Hobby Shop? They may have some thin aluminum, in circles, or in small sheets.
You might try (or, have one of their hobbyist customers) cutting the circles on a small lathe, then using sandpaper or emery cloth to scratch the surface in a circular pattern (while still on the lathe). There are several techniques for coloring the metal, so you/they could give the inserts a nice "brushed aluminum" look.

Also, look around the surplus dealers on the web. Some places, like Fair Radio Sales and others, carry some interesting old replacement knobs for radio gear.

As I recall, the Collins/Autogram knobs had aluminum caps. They didn't offer them in colors.
Gates/Harris did have aluminum inserts in various colors for their Gatesway, etc. consoles.

I know I paid a ghastly amount on ebay to get the ones I needed for a restoration project of a Gates console.

I do have to concur with frankberry, the Autograms I worked on had aluminum caps on the pot knobs. I can never remember if Autogram is still in business or not but if they are why not check to see if they have any NOS lurking in their inventory?

One source for some thin aluminum is called "aluminum tooling foil". It's an arts and crafts product. If not available locally, it is on ebay all the time. if you have a technical school in the area with machine shop classes, maybe a student (talk with the instructor) could produce a punch and die that could stamp out all the discs you want from the tooling foil. You could sell the extras...

I posted this over at the Engineering board but thought it would be helpful to the OP here:

I have nothing to do with the seller, but I came across an ebay listing for Gates Harris Intertype Corporation Color Discs for Vintage Consoles. Knowing first hand how hard it was to locate these for restoring my own 70's vintage Yard 80 I thought I would point this out for those who may be in need of these to complete a restoration. I know it took a long time to find the few new-old-stock ones I got and I paid dearly for those.

Hopefully someone who really needs them can score a deal on these.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom