• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

All 90’s Pop Hits

The music/radio/marketing industries must then operate differently than virtually all others. The use of the descriptor "classic" does indeed refer specifically to the music.
"Classic" is different than "Classical". Classical music is a genre and is timeless, just as "Big Band" is a genre and represents, nearly totally, music of a couple of mid-century decades.

"Classic" in radio can refer to hip hop, country, pop, rock and other music genres. Classic hip hop is can be 90's and 00's, while classic rock can be 70's, 80's and later. Classic Country is often 90's. Classic AC in Spanish is mostly 90's and 00's and early 10's.

Classic all depends on the age of the target listener and the evolution of each music genre it represents.

And in advertising and marketing, Boomers are (except for medications and the like) not a target at all, while those in the younger groups are the "new" targets.

Stations self-define with standardized format names so that time buyers will know what they are. Buyers do not get subtle differentiations as Nielsen has a list of "standard" formats and each station picks the closest one to what they do. If a "new" format comes on the scene, Nielsen will add it to the list if a significant number of rated stations reaching "a lot of people" request such a name be added. I got that done once for "Spanish Adult Hits" and it took about 30 stations owned by at least three groups to get that term standardized.

Remember, many of the format names are never used on the air. They are intended to identify stations within the radio and ad business.

"Classic" is different than "Classical". Classical music is a genre and is timeless, just as "Big Band" is a genre and represents, nearly totally, music of a couple of mid-century decades.

However, in the music industry, they don't designate certain eras of rock or pop as "classic." There is no Grammy for "classic rock." They consider that making a value judgement on that particular music, and they don't want to say one era is more "classic" than another. Perhaps the closest they get is when they select certain performers for a Hall of Fame.

In the music industry, at least in terms of the RIAA and NARAS, the term "classic" refers to primarily orchestral music that is largely European in nature. It is not attributed, for the purposes of classification, to any form of older popular music. That is to say that The Platters are no more "classic" than 2 Live Crew. Other usages are purely subjective.
That is the music industry where terms define the music itself.

In radio, the terms define the format, not necessarily the individual songs.

A country song from the 40's is just as country as one from today. But a mainstream "country" station today is one that mostly plays music of today and the last decade, give or take a few years. If a country station plays later 70's and 70's and early 00's, then it is called "classic country".

Radio tends to make up format names to differentiate for ad sales or for marketing.

"Top 40" became CHR because R&R magazine wanted to have it's own name for its charts and to give a little kick in the chin to Billboard.

"Smooth Jazz" came out of a research project in Chicago where a station did not want to license "The Wave" from Westinghouse and asked listeners what they thought a certain blend of music was.

"Oldies" became "Classic Hits" when the former name took on the image of "60 to death" at agencies among planners and buyers who tended to be younger and did not relate to the music or understand the eras involved.

Format names are dynamic, and take on new meanings or be replaced. Sorta' like how "gay" used to mean "happy" and now it means something quite different.

However, in the music industry, they don't designate certain eras of rock or pop as "classic." There is no Grammy for "classic rock." They consider that making a value judgement on that particular music, and they don't want to say one era is more "classic" than another. Perhaps the closest they get is when they select certain performers for a Hall of Fame.
And that illustrates how the music industry and radio are related, but not the same.

The music industry pretty much does its awards and recognitions for current releases, as they have a somewhat tangible product that is sold just like new cars and artichokes. The only time when the music industry, just like the film industry, recognizes "older" things, it tends to be in the area of personal achievement over an era.

An early 50's Chevy is definitely NOT a classic in any form or fashion.
But this was back in the 70s and she believed it was going to happen. Also, someone where i live has fixed up a '52 Chevy to look brand new so apparently this person thinks it's a classic.

But this was back in the 70s and she believed it was going to happen. Also, someone where i live has fixed up a '52 Chevy to look brand new so apparently this person thinks it's a classic.

One episode of American Pickers had the guys looking for a maroon 52 Chevy Bel Air with a straight 6. So they think it's classic. Or perhaps the word is "vintage."

On the topic of 90's "classic hits" on the radio, there are some decent examples out there of radio stations that are mixing in 1990's hits with their 1980's core. To do it properly, it takes someone who can go through and pick songs (usually on rock side) that fit the format well. There are some great songs in the 90's that fit very well, and there are other songs (while probably very popular) that should NOT make the cut. For the sake of example, here are SOME of the songs that I've heard that seem make sense:

There are plenty of others, but this gets the list started. I love listening to classic hits for the 1980's new wave sound, but none of the songs listed above would make me tune out. In fact, I quite like most of them. When you start getting into more of the CHR sound of the 90's, I tune out (and I imagine many other listeners would follow suit).
While I'm not saying I like any of these, I heard these on an AC station that plays a lot of older songs.

"Two Princes" Spin Doctors
"All Star" Smash Mouth
"Semi-Charmed Life" Third Eye Blind
"Don't Speak" No Doubt

I was going to list some Backstreet Boys and 'N Sync but maybe not.

That is the music industry where terms define the music itself.

In radio, the terms define the format, not necessarily the individual songs.

A country song from the 40's is just as country as one from today. But a mainstream "country" station today is one that mostly plays music of today and the last decade, give or take a few years. If a country station plays later 70's and 70's and early 00's, then it is called "classic country".

Radio tends to make up format names to differentiate for ad sales or for marketing.

"Top 40" became CHR because R&R magazine wanted to have it's own name for its charts and to give a little kick in the chin to Billboard.

"Smooth Jazz" came out of a research project in Chicago where a station did not want to license "The Wave" from Westinghouse and asked listeners what they thought a certain blend of music was.

"Oldies" became "Classic Hits" when the former name took on the image of "60 to death" at agencies among planners and buyers who tended to be younger and did not relate to the music or understand the eras involved.

Format names are dynamic, and take on new meanings or be replaced. Sorta' like how "gay" used to mean "happy" and now it means something quite different.
This is a misnomer. The phrase was "happy AND gay". "Gay" refers to someone who is joyful, carefree, merry, bright and showy. Here are some others:

This is a misnomer. The phrase was "happy AND gay". "Gay" refers to someone who is joyful, carefree, merry, bright and showy.

"Let me tell you 'bout a place, somewhere out in New York way, where the people are so gay, twistin' the night away ..." -- Sam Cooke.

While I'm not saying I like any of these, I heard these on an AC station that plays a lot of older songs.

"Two Princes" Spin Doctors
"All Star" Smash Mouth
"Semi-Charmed Life" Third Eye Blind
"Don't Speak" No Doubt

I was going to list some Backstreet Boys and 'N Sync but maybe not.
I have no problem with most of the songs you listed ending up on classic hits eventually. Again, I would hope that there would still be plenty of songs from the 80's mixed in as well. When they start pulling out Backstreet Boys and 'N Sync I'll probably have to break down and get a satellite radio and leave my car radio for sports and talk radio.

But, in the past, it was.
I gave a list of synonyms for "gay" and "happy" was not on the list. Again, the phrase was "happy AND gay". There is a relationship between the two words but they have different meanings, not unlike the phrase, "hugs and kisses. They too have a relationship but different meanings.

I gave a list of synonyms for "gay" and "happy" was not on the list. Again, the phrase was "happy AND gay". There is a relationship between the two words but they have different meanings, not unlike the phrase, "hugs and kisses. They too have a relationship but different meanings.
I went to my Oxford translating dictionary. "Gay" translates to Spanish as "alegre". "Alegre" reverse translates as "Happy" or "cheerful".

The Cambridge Dictionary says (old fashioned) "happy".

You are splitting hairs of a word that is hundreds of years old and has changed meaning several times.

Why, in pop/RnR music do "classics" move with time? That is not the case with classic cars or anything else I can think of.
You ever hang around any car nuts? I know some. There are classic 80s cars, and even some classic 90s cars now -- cars from those eras are rare because they generally get crushed and recycled when they wear out.

Odd how no alternative to "Don we now our gay apparel" has evolved for "Deck the Halls." And the evolution of "The Old Kentucky Home" resulted in "people" being put into a line that still includes "gay."

Odd how no alternative to "Don we now our gay apparel" has evolved for "Deck the Halls." And the evolution of "The Old Kentucky Home" resulted in "people" being put into a line that still includes "gay."
I don't know how, but I missed hearing "My Old Kentucky Home". I fast-forwarded through so much of the show it might have been sung when I wasn't watching.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom