• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Alice's Restaurant?

On the other hand, if you only want iHeart bashing and anti-radio posts, there are lots of internet boards that specialize in that too.

I disagree with Frank,
I love acerbic, snarky comments,.... (ala Jerry W.)
PLEASE provide some links my good man!
Many Thanks and Merry Christmas!

.....including Boston when KISS is #1. If they're so awful, why are they so successful?

Because most here believe that success is constituted by more than simply making money.

Outside of Matty's show which seems to be holding down the fort....

Kiss has 2 other DJ's, which most people can't name. (I don't know if either of them is ever live.), Has lackluster promotions, play way too many commercials, lack local content (listen to PM drive and you'd be hard pressed to know this station is in Boston.)

Those of us who live in the area, know that Kiss 108 is a shell of it's once mighty self.

I think they are gliding on their legacy....and when Matty leaves, it will be like pulling the plug.

Also, iHeart ran the once mighty JAM'n 94.5...which is also a shell of it's former self, and now a second tier station that used to rule the city. Iheart has sought to cut everything in sight there....and run a syndicated morning show from out of town that sounds out of place. (That whole station has a grand total of 3 DJ's)

So...it all depends on your definition of success.

These are not stupid people.

No, they are smart people....who are in a bad situation, where the answer to every problem is to cut more and more....

They are smart people because when their mother ship is sinking, they are forced to find ingenuitive [sic] ways to keep the life raft afloat. (And if they fail at that task they are replaced by someone else.)

Gone are the days of long-term planning and development.

Kiss has 2 other DJ's, which most people can't name. (I don't know if either of them is ever live.), Has lackluster promotions, play way too many commercials, lack local content (listen to PM drive and you'd be hard pressed to know this station is in Boston.)

Ooh, ooh, I just thought who the other DJ is, Ryan Seacrest!

Because most here believe that success is constituted by more than simply making money.

But in a business, making money is the only way to be able to do anything else.

[/QUOTE]
Those of us who live in the area, know that Kiss 108 is a shell of it's once mighty self.[/QUOTE]

#1 18-34 all four weekday dayparts. In 18-49, #2 morning, #3 middays, #1 afternoon and night. 25-54: #3, #2, #1 and #1 in the three dayparts. 25-54 share in 3-month rolling average is an 8.6.

I think they are gliding on their legacy....and when Matty leaves, it will be like pulling the plug.

They are strong in all dayparts, and average over a 10 share in 18-34.

Also, iHeart ran the once mighty JAM'n 94.5...which is also a shell of it's former self, and now a second tier station that used to rule the city.

It's #2 in 18-34. They can't both be #1, right?

So...it all depends on your definition of success.

Again, in commercial radio it is sales and cash flow. Without those, you can't do much else.

Getting back to the original topic, about Alice...remember Alice? This is a song about Alice..youtube has a single Arlo put out around '70, Alice's Rock n Roll Restaurant.No monologue, just music.Think it peaked around #100 on charts.

Getting back to the original topic, about Alice...remember Alice? This is a song about Alice..youtube has a single Arlo put out around '70, Alice's Rock n Roll Restaurant.No monologue, just music.Think it peaked around #100 on charts.

The full song (Alice's Restaurant Massaree) was first performed on WBAI radio in 1966, and released in 1967. This is the 50th anniversary if the record. Surprised no one mentioned that. The movie based on the song came out in 1969.

Just a side note. Bill From White Plains was a character who used to call in to Imus. Was actually Mike Breen Sportscaster

But in a business, making money is the only way to be able to do anything else.

True....and there are those of us who think that it should be able to do more than just make money....and, indeed, do "anything else".

Truth is their debt load doesn't allow them to do much of "anything else".

Those of us who live in the area, know that Kiss 108 is a shell of it's once mighty self.
#1 18-34 all four weekday dayparts. In 18-49, #2 morning, #3 middays, #1 afternoon and night. 25-54: #3, #2, #1 and #1 in the three dayparts. 25-54 share in 3-month rolling average is an 8.6.

You either missed (or ignored) the point I was making:

It's #2 in 18-34.

I guess if you are a bean counter, yes! Success! But, again, a shell of it's former self...and, again, their debt load doesn't allow them to do much of "anything else" include have a local morning show.

Again, in commercial radio it is sales and cash flow. Without those, you can't do much else.

No one is criticizing cash flow and ratings.

What can be criticized is the debt load that doesn't allow these stations to "do much else".

And that their plan for growth seems to center on cutting and eliminating.

Last edited:
And that their plan for growth seems to center on cutting and eliminating.

Really? Didn't they just add some stations in Boston? If you go to their website, you'll see lots of jobs available, and from what I can see, their number of actual employees is more than they had five years ago.

I think you're really ignoring the fact that iHeart has built a digital platform no other OTA radio company has. It's competitive with Pandora and Spotify. In addition, they've added several festivals around the country. Whenever there's a way for them to improve or enlarge the size of their OTA platform, they have the resources to do it. What I know about debt is this: As long as you meet your monthly payment, there's no reason why you cant do lots of other things with your cash on hand. And iHeart has always been able to do it.

Last edited:
Wimmmex, I understand what you're saying, but the days of the dominant radio station are gone. Let's not forget that back in the day we were using diaries, which were less than accurate. Not that PPM is 100%, but it actually measures. Diaries were from memory and sometimes very biased. Sometimes done at the last minute and listeners just filled in what they thought they probably listened to. The competition and marketplace is nothing like it was back then and I suspect it never will be again.

That said, the measure of success is ratings and revenue. I'm not sure what more you can expect from them.

Really? Didn't they just add some stations in Boston?

Didn't they just divest others?

...and from what I can see, their number of actual employees is more than they had five years ago.

Here in Boston, the number of employees at Kiss and JAM'n is at an all time low

I think you're really ignoring the fact that iHeart has built a digital platform no other OTA radio company has.
It's competitive with Pandora and Spotify.

No, I know they have a pretty good digital app.....which they can do because they own most of the content.

In addition, they've added several festivals around the country.

Nice....but thats not radio.

As long as you meet your monthly payment, there's no reason why you cant do lots of other things with your cash on hand. And iHeart has always been able to do it.

Like have a local morning show in Boston? Why can't they do something that would actually improve the relationship with their local audience.

And BTW....they are not doing a great job of meeting their "monthly payment".

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...uggles-to-calm-partners-in-debt-default-trial

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...media-earnings-radio-revenue-debt-restructure

Just my opinion...I know I am old fashioned.

I wish them well.

That said, the measure of success is ratings and revenue. I'm not sure what more you can expect from them.

That's a one sided definition from our side of the business.

Listeners don't care or know the ratings.

Listeners don't know or care about the revenue.

Success for them might be....I don't know, say.....a local relate-able morning show with compelling content?

Last edited:
Didn't they just divest others?

They did, but they also threw in some cash. Richmond plus Chattanooga does NOT equal Boston plus Seattle. My point is they have cash to spend when necessary

Here in Boston, the number of employees at Kiss and JAM'n is at an all time low

That's not what I said. As a COMPANY, they are able do things. That's what this discussion is about.

No, I know they have a pretty good digital app.....which they can do because they own most of the content.

No they don't. They have to pay digital music license fees to SoundExchange. Their site is also home to radio stations from Cumulus and a few other companies they don't own.

My point once again is their debt is not preventing them from investing in digital.

Nice....but thats not radio.

Once again, I'm responding to your statement that their debt prevents them from doing things. Obviously, it doesn't.

And BTW....they are not doing a great job of meeting their "monthly payment".

For almost ten years, they've dutifully and responsibly paid principle plus interest. They haven't missed a payment. They'd like to restructure. No crime in that. In the meantime, they're still operating normally, everyone is getting paid, and the transmitters are still powered up.

You claim their debt is restricting them from doing things. I gave you list that shows their debt hasn't restricted them one bit. They're doing far more for furthering and advancing radio than companies without debt. Plus at the same time, they own some of the most listened-to radio stations in the country. So even if listeners don't care about ratings or revenue, they have radio stations that listeners choose over the competition. Listeners also don't care if it's local. They just care if you play their favorite songs and tell them what they want to know. Their stations are doing that competitively in most markets. Now they're prepared to do the same in Boston.

They did, but they also threw in some cash. Richmond plus Chattanooga does NOT equal Boston plus Seattle. My point is they have cash to spend when necessary

And apparently their "necessary" priorities are different.

That's not what I said. As a COMPANY, they are able do things. That's what this discussion is about.

No, the discussion is how about they run their local radio stations.

They have to pay digital music license fees to SoundExchange.

So what?

Their site is also home to radio stations from Cumulus and a few other companies they don't own.

So what?

My point once again is their debt is not preventing them from investing in digital.

And someone listening to Boston's Kiss 108 in Denver does not help the listener experience in Boston where their are licensed to serve.

Once again, I'm responding to your statement that their debt prevents them from doing things. Obviously, it doesn't.

Obviously it does? They have reduced staffing, and can't afford (or don't see it neccesarry to have a local morning show on one of their major market stations.

For almost ten years, they've dutifully and responsibly paid principle plus interest. They haven't missed a payment. They'd like to restructure.

And they are reducing staff and expenses as their debt payment climbs. Every dollar that goes to debt, does not get re-invested in the product.

You claim their debt is restricting them from doing things. I gave you list that shows their debt hasn't restricted them one bit.

One bit? It's restricted them from keeping a stable staff. It's kept them from having a local morning show in Boston.

They're doing far more for furthering and advancing radio than companies without debt.

I disagree. Their debt load has set a new low standard for reinvesting in their product.

So even if listeners don't care about ratings or revenue, they have radio stations that listeners choose over the competition.

In some cases. In some cases they don't.

Listeners also don't care if it's local. They just care if you play their favorite songs and tell them what they want to know.

I guess I have a different vision of radio...one that connects human beings, where the listeners have a relationship with the people on the air.

Now they're prepared to do the same in Boston

Sure! Cut local staffing and local programming! Go iHeart!

I'm not an "iHeart is the enemy" person. And I don't use those "evil empire" labels, etc. I know some VERY smart people who work for them at the local level...and the executive and corporate level.

I have high hopes on how they will re-invigorate WRKO and WBZ. However, they are not in the best position for focus on creative programming or compelling content.

They are in a tough position.

I am going to guess you have never works in an iHeart operation.

Last edited:
No, the discussion is how about they run their local radio stations.

I'm responding to what you said. Here it is, since you obviously forgot:

True....and there are those of us who think that it should be able to do more than just make money....and, indeed, do "anything else".

Truth is their debt load doesn't allow them to do much of "anything else".

As I've been saying, their debt load hasn't stopped them from doing anything. They just bought some stations, they own a successful streaming platform, they've launched new programs, they've started new festivals, and all of these things are growing the company.

Your mistake is you see iHeart as strictly a radio company. They don't see themselves that way. They see themselves as a multi-platform MEDIA company.

Here's the basic fact: The reason CBS got out of the radio business, according to their CEO, is because radio is not a growth business. If you look at the industry in a national way, that's pretty true. There are other businesses iHeart is in where there is more growth. That's where they're diverting some of their resources, because the stations alone aren't enough, and they own some AM stations that are complete losses. Radio is a big cash business, so they get a lot of cash business, which allows them to do things, including make payments on their debt. That is a corporate issue. Local station employment is a local issue. Stations that cut staffing are not meeting their sales numbers. Stations, like KIIS or WLTW, are adding staff. Stations with declining revenues are cutting staff. But the minute they fire a PD, the job is listed, and someone gets hired. That's what will happen with the PD position at WBZ-AM.

As I said, the audience doesn't care if programming is local. NPR is doing well in Boston thanks to a lot of nationally syndicated programming. When Howard Stern was on OTA radio, his listeners didn't care where he was based. There are lots of other shows that work the same way. Bobby Bones obviously has a pretty strong fan base. Maybe not in Boston, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be on the air in Boston. Give country listeners a choice. That's what they're doing.

You're right that I don't work for iHeart. I compete against them. I personally know a lot of their staff. They are smart and good at what they do. At no time have they ever said anything about the debt affecting their work. They are tough competitors and hard workers. They have created some creative programs and compelling content. And the audience is responding.

Local Morning show? Isn't Matty a local guy? I thought Matty in the Morning was a Boston institution, since about 1981. He lives in Newton. How is that not a local show? And I agree with BigA that local isn't always better. I've seen it plenty of times where the local attempt just doesn't compare to a national show and the national show performs much better.

Of course listeners don't see or care about ratings. They're not supposed to and that's not relevant to them being a measure of success. How do you not understand that? It has nothing to do with listeners knowing what they are.

And as for engaging and connecting with listeners, that's exactly what those festivals and events are for and they work. They ARE radio. That's what radio does to engage listeners and promote the brand.

I think you're looking for some intangible, esoteric listener experience that you can't define.

And be honest BigA, the debt does hamper them. They continue to operate, but think of what they could do if they were able to keep that cash flow. Whatever happens, I think they'll come back stronger than ever whether it's restructuring or bankruptcy. It's a formidable company and will be around for a long time. The question is, who will be running it?

Looks like you are going to argue this to the death, and can't accept a different opinion, however....

As I've been saying, their debt load hasn't stopped them from doing anything.

And I said, reduced staff and less local programming.

Your mistake is you see iHeart as strictly a radio company.

No mistake at all...I see them as owners of my local stations. I care about how they run their local stations in their city of license and/or city of service.

There are other businesses iHeart is in where there is more growth. That's where they're diverting some of their resources,

They are diverting their "resources" to pay debt service.

Stations that cut staffing are not meeting their sales numbers.

Kiss 108 is cutting....and their billing is fine and is the envy of lots of radio executives. (I believe it's one of the top 10-15 billing stations in iHeart)

Stations, like KIIS or WLTW,

I don't know about that....however, from people I know in iHeartr NYC....they are not adding staffers to WLTW.

As I said, the audience doesn't care if programming is local. NPR is doing well in Boston thanks to a lot of nationally syndicated programming. When Howard Stern was on OTA radio, his listeners didn't care where he was based.
Bobby Bones obviously has a pretty strong fan base.

Their are a few national feeds that work well. another is K-Love, etc. (and I mean "few".)

How do national feeds do in a competitive environment like a major market? Outside of the few mentioned, I don't know of many that can be competitive. How is Charlamagne Tha God doing?

I personally know a lot of their staff. They are smart and good at what they do.

I do too...and would agree

At no time have they ever said anything about the debt affecting their work.

No, they are not told "debt" is affecting them, but they are told not to spend....and your budget this year is: # - (last years #) Oh, and it's almost Christmas time.....when the yearly iHeart layoffs happen.

They have created some creative programs and compelling content.

Oh, I know, huh? Hearing re-runs of Ryan Seacrest from LA on Middays in Boston is creative and compelling (and cheap!)

The Wake Up with Whoopi show was compelling and creative too!

And the audience is responding.

In some place yes...in some places no.

And be honest BigA, the debt does hamper them. They continue to operate, but think of what they could do if they were able to keep that cash flow.

The point is they're doing more than companies with no debt. Compare them to Saga, for example. If they had more available cash, they'd invest more in other businesses that have growth.

I think they'll come back stronger than ever whether it's restructuring or bankruptcy. It's a formidable company and will be around for a long time. The question is, who will be running it?

If Pittman wants to stay, he'll run it. The current management didn't create the debt. They've done a lot to diversify the company. Management is not the problem. My expectation is Cumulus will restructure first, maybe before the end of the year. We'll learn a lot about the options available from what they do.

Looks likeyou are going to argue this to the death, and can't accept a different opinion, however....

Hello pot.

You're confusing corporate debt and the lack of growth in ad revenue. Those are two different things. The lack of growth in ad revenue isn't keeping up with the increases in expenses. That's where the cuts come from. Salaries, rent, utilities, etc are all going up, while revenue has stayed pretty level or slightly dropped over the past few years. This lack of revenue growth is hurting the entire industry, not just iHeart. That's why I can say, and I'll say it again, that the debt isn't preventing iHeart from doing things. And sure, re-runs of good programming is creative and compelling for the people who enjoy it. Seacrest is a great talent, and has access to people that local talent in Boston don't always get. That is creative and compelling programming.

Local Morning show? Isn't Matty a local guy?

Yes, but Jammin got rid of their entire morning show....after letting them go one by one. Many think that Matty will be replaced by some syndicated show....like Elvis on Z100

I think you're looking for some intangible, esoteric listener experience that you can't define.

Have you ever been in a focus group? People define that experience pretty well.

And be honest BigA, the debt does hamper them. They continue to operate, but think of what they could do if they were able to keep that cash flow.

Exactly! Thanks!

The question is, who will be running it?

Bingo!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom