• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ajit Pai Will Leave FCC

The US Internet breathes a sigh of relief...

Now for Net Neutrality to come back in fairness regardless of what providers said. Providers said that Net Neutrality hurt them...THEY LIED! Business and investments picked up when Net Neutrality was established and signed into the law.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Correct me if I am wrong.

It's hard to say. Trump ran on a policy of eliminating regulations on the internet. When Pai came in, he eliminated Net Neutrality as part of that campaign promise.

But in the past year, the president has sought to create new regulations on the internet, and in the process, get the FCC involved.

It's hard to say. Trump ran on a policy of eliminating regulations on the internet. When Pai came in, he eliminated Net Neutrality as part of that campaign promise.

But in the past year, the president has sought to create new regulations on the internet, and in the process, get the FCC involved.

He only wanted to regulate things that were against him.

He only wanted to regulate things that were against him.

Exactly, and that's the whole thing about Net Neutrality. If an ISP chooses to block certain sites across their network because they're considered bandwidth hogs, violating copyrights, pushing crazy conspiracy theory's like QAnon, or otherwise considered a domestic terrorist threat, is that neutral? Or what if POTUS is mad at some site and declares it to be a national security threat? Is that neutral?

Really, Net Neutrality means everyone operates with no documented guardrails in an 'honor system'. When it comes to affecting an ISP's bottom-line or a President with a score to settle, those guardrails don't exist.

Good I hated him so much I hope the next person in charge is in full support of low power radio and removes bandwidth caps for home internet.

Good I hated him so much I hope the next person in charge is in full support of low power radio and removes bandwidth caps for home internet.

He did more than any recent commissioner to support free, OTA radio. He favored removing the limit on newspaper and electronic media co-ownership, which might save hundreds of failing newspapers but a Democrat appointed court kept holding back the approval. That will cause the closing of many papers and likely a lot of AM radio station, too.

The ownership rules are going to a conservative supreme court. We'll see if it has better luck there.

If they a real conservatives, they should support the FCC rules.

And the rule-making by the FCC approved the return to newspaper cross-ownership, just as it approved the restrictions that prevented such ownership for the last few decades.

The difference is that, in theory, the commission can make such rules as it always has. However, certain groups took the rule change to court over and over. The FCC is supposed to have full jurisdiction... were that not so, every competitive application could go to court with an appeal by the losers. That would give a whole new life to a certain guy in Sacramento!

Support low power radio? Considering over one third of the original applications were never built or have since gone silent, how would you propose the new Commissioner fully support LPFM? I argue that the failure of LPFM is not the government's concern, but applicants/licensees who try to start their LPFM without knowing what's in front of them.

There are no government-regulated bandwidth caps on residential Internet. The NIC card or wireless adapter in your computer can only handle 100Mbps anyway. Terms like "Gig Speed Internet" are just marketing phrases. You share the bandwidth with all your neighbors. Has nothing to do with the FCC.

Pai did a lot of good things too. Like elimination of uncessary paperwork, AM revitaliztion, the main studio rule, and public files online. The question is who will be the next Commissioner?

Pai did a lot of good things too. Like... AM revitaliztion....

Putting FM translators on the air doesn't do anything to revitalize AM. That's just AM-to-FM migration. Good for stations that were able to cash in on it, now they are FM stations. But the AM band itself would have been more "revitalized' if those stations with the new translators would have been permitted, or even required to shut down their AM transmitters, reducing nighttime AM band congestion for the stations that remain stuck there. Pai's FCC actually rejected a lot of good ideas that would have actually improved things on AM in the process. I'm thinking of the proposals Scott Fybush submitted in particular. There was some good stuff there that was passed over.

Putting FM translators on the air doesn't do anything to revitalize AM. That's just AM-to-FM migration. Good for stations that were able to cash in on it, now they are FM stations. But the AM band itself would have been more "revitalized' if those stations with the new translators would have been permitted, or even required to shut down their AM transmitters, reducing nighttime AM band congestion for the stations that remain stuck there. Pai's FCC actually rejected a lot of good ideas that would have actually improved things on AM in the process. I'm thinking of the proposals Scott Fybush submitted in particular. There was some good stuff there that was passed over.

Agreed, Pai just caused a congested FM band with this AM revitalization. FM reception in most major markets is getting worse because of all the translators.

Agreed, Pai just caused a congested FM band with this AM revitalization. FM reception in most major markets is getting worse because of all the translators.

Example Houston TX has 3 low power 102.5 and could get a 4th. The first 102.5 to come on the air like 6 years ago is the best the other station are nothing really and kill the original station's signal.

I think the new FCC Commish is going to be Jessica who isn't going to be a good commish just like her Tom Wheeler who sucked as FCC Commish before Pai took over in 2017. I thought Pai was a good commish somethings I agreed with him on and others not so much.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom