• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ait 92.3

J

Joylovepulse967

Everyone at my program are in love with new 92.3 because the music they play is so different and even has old school music. I think 92.3 will have great ratings in December!!

I am pleasantly surprised what a great job they are doing and that even includes the audio quality. Better than any past alt-incarnation on 92.3, better than the old WRXP.

Last edited:
Did all the AMP DJs get fired? Is Alt 92.3 running with no live voices as it introduces the format? The AMP morning host gave up a secure job at a CBS-owned Regional Mexican station in Dallas to go English-language Top 40 in NYC.

My good buddie who owns a deli in queens has ALT on and he keeps telling me all his customers are surprised at the station, they all love it and ask him if he has internet or satellite radio and he tells them its a new format on the radio, and they say they are going to put it on. Living in Philly I don't know if they are promoting or advertising, billboards, etc. or has it been so long that the apple has not had an Alternative format, most people think it would never come about. How does the playlist compare to WRFF, do they lean more male, I just hope thy wont throw RATM into the mix, which is a favorite among Active and Alternative fans don't know why with their political views :( 1045 dropped them.

MI just hope thy wont throw RATM into the mix, which is a favorite among Active and Alternative fans don't know why with their political views :( 1045 dropped them.

RATM was a very influential alt band from the 90s. That's why they get played. Who cares about their politics?

On my own note, I do appreciate that they've widened the scope of what they'll play. It's clear they're trying a more broad-based approach to an "alternative" station, because programming a traditional "alt" station would not bill at all in the NYC market. Still, at times, they play too much pop-sounding stuff, and the more modern alternative they play sounds too much like the stuff that would be popular enough to be on Z100. Not bad to put on in the car from time to time, but not enough to draw me away from SXM and back onto terrestrial radio.

On my own note, I do appreciate that they've widened the scope of what they'll play. It's clear they're trying a more broad-based approach to an "alternative" station, because programming a traditional "alt" station would not bill at all in the NYC market. Still, at times, they play too much pop-sounding stuff, and the more modern alternative they play sounds too much like the stuff that would be popular enough to be on Z100. Not bad to put on in the car from time to time, but not enough to draw me away from SXM and back onto terrestrial radio.

The new pop leaning sound of alternative is pretty much what you get on Pandora but cannot be found anywhere on the radio dial in NY other than 92.3. So I have no problem with it and it keeps me from going to Pandora.

The problem I see is they keep falling back to playing the most played out songs in the history of commercial radio from the 90s. For example, 1990s Green Day has got to go over all others. Those hits are so overplayed on commercial radio including currently on other NY radio stations they are like nails on a chalkboard at this point. The old 90s song by The Cranberries - "Dreams", is also way over played on radio and they became an irrelevant band when their song became the theme for a feminine hygiene product frequently advertised on TV.

Another surprising mistake I see is playing M&M and the Beastie Boys. They are not alternative rock, especially M&M.

With that said they are pretty good and there have been far worse mistakes in NY radio. Like when WRXP would play a good hour of solid alternative followed by AC/DC or some other 70s AOR band that has no place on an alternative rock station.

Huh? Beastie Boys have been on Alternative stations pretty much since the beginning of the Alternative format. Plus, with this being a NYC station and the hip-hop culture that's had such a long history in NYC, putting NYC-based Beastie Boys as a staple artist on this station is a no-brainer.

The new pop leaning sound of alternative is pretty much what you get on Pandora but cannot be found anywhere on the radio dial in NY other than 92.3. So I have no problem with it and it keeps me from going to Pandora.

The problem I see is they keep falling back to playing the most played out songs in the history of commercial radio from the 90s. For example, 1990s Green Day has got to go over all others. Those hits are so overplayed on commercial radio including currently on other NY radio stations they are like nails on a chalkboard at this point. The old 90s song by The Cranberries - "Dreams", is also way over played on radio and they became an irrelevant band when their song became the theme for a feminine hygiene product frequently advertised on TV.

Another surprising mistake I see is playing M&M and the Beastie Boys. They are not alternative rock, especially M&M.

With that said they are pretty good and there have been far worse mistakes in NY radio. Like when WRXP would play a good hour of solid alternative followed by AC/DC or some other 70s AOR band that has no place on an alternative rock station.
That's all your opinion. The stuff you mentioned, however, is all stuff that tests well with their target audience, and will probably get the format the best shot it can in the market.

And yes, Beasties and Em have been played on alt radio since the beginning. Both have crossover appeal and have incorporated different sounds to fit that alt realm.

Huh? Beastie Boys have been on Alternative stations pretty much since the beginning of the Alternative format. Plus, with this being a NYC station and the hip-hop culture that's had such a long history in NYC, putting NYC-based Beastie Boys as a staple artist on this station is a no-brainer.

As if that worked so well in the past in NYC radio. The old K-Rock did that to, look how well that worked out.

That's all your opinion. The stuff you mentioned, however, is all stuff that tests well with their target audience, and will probably get the format the best shot it can in the market.

And yes, Beasties and Em have been played on alt radio since the beginning. Both have crossover appeal and have incorporated different sounds to fit that alt realm.

If you believe AC/DC fits the format of an Alternative stations then you are not familiar with the genre.

You want to pollute the format then people that like the genre will just go back to Pandora, Sirius or other services that stick to the Alternative format and new alternative if radio does not want to bring anything new to the table. If they want to repeat the same mistakes of past incarnations of Alternative in NY then they will fail.

With that said they are only doing that to a very small extent so I do not see it as a big problem.

If you believe AC/DC fits the format of an Alternative stations then you are not familiar with the genre.

I'm VERY familiar with the genre. I've long listened to alt radio, in their target demo, and have worked at rock stations before. I also network with alt PDs regularly and they'd tell you the same thing.

Same thing is happening here guys... We had 94.5 then 102.1 The Edge for 27 years and then about a year ago they pulled the plug and started playing Christmas music. After Christmas they signed on as STAR 102.1 which is basically a "Lite FM" format that SUCKS!!!!! Meanwhile, 103.7 here in Dallas/Fort Worth (Market #5) and 92.3 NYC (Market #1) flipped to ALT at the same time and I am loving it here! alt1037.jpg alt923.png

I'm VERY familiar with the genre. I've long listened to alt radio, in their target demo, and have worked at rock stations before. I also network with alt PDs regularly and they'd tell you the same thing.

No doubt PDs that believe in repeating the same mistakes from the past, expecting different results and then become miffed that Alt failed in NY.

Last edited:
No doubt PDs that believe in repeating the same mistakes from the past, expecting different results and the miffed that Alt failed in NY.

One thing that seems to be at play here is this station doesn't appear to be programed by someone in NY. I could be wrong about that, but this station seems to be getting input from other places where alternative has been more successful than it's been in NYC. That may be why it's so different from WRXP. We'll see what happens when they add local talent.

Same thing is happening here guys... We had 94.5 then 102.1 The Edge for 27 years and then about a year ago they pulled the plug and started playing Christmas music. After Christmas they signed on as STAR 102.1 which is basically a "Lite FM" format that SUCKS!!!!! Meanwhile, 103.7 here in Dallas/Fort Worth (Market #5) and 92.3 NYC (Market #1) flipped to ALT at the same time and I am loving it here! View attachment 1086 View attachment 1087

Curious, are they doing the same in Dallas, what I described above? It is supposed to be "new" Alternative but it is increasingly painful to sit through allot of the played out 90s Alternative and there seems to be more of it. For example they keep playing the same 3 Green Day and Beastie Boys songs over and over again in heavy rotation. All too reminiscent of the prior failed incarnation of Alt they tried on K-Rock years ago here.

What percentage would you say is new music in Dallas?

Last edited:
One thing that seems to be at play here is this station doesn't appear to be programed by someone in NY. I could be wrong about that, but this station seems to be getting input from other places where alternative has been more successful than it's been in NYC. That may be why it's so different from WRXP. We'll see what happens when they add local talent.

It depends which incarnation of WRXP. They changed several times and at times Alt 92.3 reminds me of the earlier period of WRXP, just without botching it by adding two classic rock cuts once an hour before another hour of Alternative. Allot of time has also passed since WRXP, so there is a quite a bit of new music since then.

I hope they do not try to repeat the old K-Rock attempts at Alternative since it was a mess and this beating the crap of the same old 90s Alternative some what reminds me of that. It would serve them well it if they get input from other places.

It depends which incarnation of WRXP. They changed several times and at times Alt 92.3 reminds me of the earlier period of WRXP, just without botching it by adding two classic rock cuts once an hour before another hour of Alternative.

It depends. This is a low pressure time for a station to change formats. They will have a few more months to fool around with the music before it matters. By April, they will have to deliver ratings and demos. We'll see how this music mix works in terms of delivering ratings. In Philadelphia, where the CEO of Entercom lives, there is an alternative station there that gets great ratings. He' s probably listened to that station even though it's owned by iHeart. The biggest complaint listeners have with the station is the playlist size. It's not a huge playlist. But it gets great ratings. The ratings often drop in December, but then recovers in the spring.

The thing about those worn out 90s songs is they attract ratings. They did it at WRXP, and if this station needs ratings, you might see them try again here.

I rather favour the WEQX (Manchester VT/Albany, NY) approach to Alternative. It is very current/recurrent focused, with specialty programming that shows it hasn't forgotten it's roots.

http://www.weqx.com/song-history/

2pm Hour...

12/10/2017

2:01pm - St. Vincent - Los Ageless

2:05pm - Coldplay - Yellow

2:09pm - Florence + The Machine - Shake It Out

2:13pm - LCD Soundsystem - Tonite

2:18pm - Everything Everything - Can't Do

2:22pm - Silversun Pickups - Cannibal

2:26pm - Sir Sly - &Run

2:29pm - The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist

2:32pm - Car Seat Headrest - Drunk Drivers / Killer Whales

2:37pm - Elle King - Ex's & Oh's

2:40pm - In The Valley Below - Pink Chateau

2:46pm - Lovelytheband - Broken

2:49pm - The Hip Abduction - Before We Lose Our Mind

2:53pm - The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony

2:57pm - Arcade Fire - I Give You Power (feat. Mavis Staples)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom