• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AEI Lifestyle

I don't think there's a section on here for Muzak or the other services like it.

A few years ago I decided to start finding out what the various stores and malls were using (back when instrumental was the rule, not the exception). K & W cafeterias actually had a sign on the door that said AEI. Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem, N. C. gave me the number of AEI and I found out it was called Lifestyle. Belk Harry in Salisbury, N. C. used it too. I remember thinking it sounded so much better than Muzak, which had kind of gone uptempo, more like smooth jazz (It was good for mall walking, which I rarely do any more. I prefer outdoors). And it was a pleasure to be put on hold by the Raleigh News and Observer when I wnated to tell them about a problem with their paper (even though I only saw it at libraries).

Anyway, I found out AEI merged with DMX but I've been unable to get a straight answer about what happened to AEI's music collection. The News and Observer claims to still be dealing with AEI, but that company doesn't exist.

vchimpanzee said:
I don't think there's a section on here for Muzak or the other services like it.

A few years ago I decided to start finding out what the various stores and malls were using (back when instrumental was the rule, not the exception). K & W cafeterias actually had a sign on the door that said AEI. Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem, N. C. gave me the number of AEI and I found out it was called Lifestyle. Belk Harry in Salisbury, N. C. used it too. I remember thinking it sounded so much better than Muzak, which had kind of gone uptempo, more like smooth jazz

Muzak offers dozens of services, not just one. It even has custom services for things like specialty restaurants, etc.

A big percentage of Muzak's instrumentals are custom recordings.

DavidEduardo said:
Muzak offers dozens of services, not just one. It even has custom services for things like specialty restaurants, etc.

A big percentage of Muzak's instrumentals are custom recordings.
I am aware of how wide a selection Muzak has. I was referring to the generic easy listening service so many businesses once used. I also know that they have a service which is even better than AEI Lifestyle. No one in their right mind would use it. It appears to be too good.

I would like to know what happened to the recordings, and if someone like Sirius would offer the same thing at home. AEI wouldn't sell to me because I wasn't a business. I know DMX has something really, really good (one mall I go to can play a variety of styles but they usually stick with 80s garbage), and Dish Network users were once able to get it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom