• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Adware getting higher and higher

S

spongebag7

Has anyone on the Windows platform notice that more adware programs and pop-ups asking you to download toolbars has reached a high? Just yesterday, my friend had to remove Medload/Mediamotor, Axela, and funwebproducts.

I mean, this doesn't have a lot to do with Radio-Info, but hasn't adware programs become more risky?

> Has anyone on the Windows platform notice that more adware
> programs and pop-ups asking you to download toolbars has
> reached a high? Just yesterday, my friend had to remove
> Medload/Mediamotor, Axela, and funwebproducts.
>
> I mean, this doesn't have a lot to do with Radio-Info, but
> hasn't adware programs become more risky?
>

Spongebag! You're awesome! What a great question! Yes, I too have noticed that and I thought it was just me and my computer!! It is (with my own personal experience) a rather recent phenomenon that I have to say is getting really annoying! I mean, BIG-TIME ANNOYING!! What is up with that, anyway? Is Bill Gates the Devil in disguise or something?? In the past, I have never really had any bones to pick with "all-things-Windows", but lately I've been seriously disappointed with the frequency of pop up crap that seems to be coming at me from out of nowhere. I realize that someone on this board will tell me to just do "a, b, and c" and my troubles will be gone.......but nevertheless, I am still disappointed with what has become of Windows.

Specifically, every time I click on a page at some site, I get this bothersome notice telling me that (and I'm paraphrasing here) "Careful! The page you want to see may be something you don't want to see! Do you wish to allow this pop up to come up on your screen?" And the fact is, that I could be viewing the National Weather Service web page, and I'll click on the weather page for my local area.....and this damn notice will appear about "pop ups" and do I want to continue, blah! blah! blah! And then I have to click yes to allow "pop ups" to appear on my screen from this particular site! But the page I want to see technically isn't a "pop up"!! Geez! And then, yes, like you said, there are other times when I get hit with all of this annoying ad stuff. Click here, click there. Yada, yada, yada!!

>
>

This is why I use a Mac.

-A<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

> Spongebag! You're awesome! What a great question! Yes, I too
> have noticed that and I thought it was just me and my
> computer!! It is (with my own personal experience) a rather
> recent phenomenon that I have to say is getting really
> annoying! I mean, BIG-TIME ANNOYING!! What is up with that,
> anyway? Is Bill Gates the Devil in disguise or something??
> In the past, I have never really had any bones to pick with
> "all-things-Windows", but lately I've been seriously
> disappointed with the frequency of pop up crap that seems to
> be coming at me from out of nowhere. I realize that someone
> on this board will tell me to just do "a, b, and c" and my
> troubles will be gone.......but nevertheless, I am still
> disappointed with what has become of Windows.
>
> Specifically, every time I click on a page at some site, I
> get this bothersome notice telling me that (and I'm
> paraphrasing here) "Careful! The page you want to see may be
> something you don't want to see! Do you wish to allow this
> pop up to come up on your screen?" And the fact is, that I
> could be viewing the National Weather Service web page, and
> I'll click on the weather page for my local area.....and
> this damn notice will appear about "pop ups" and do I want
> to continue, blah! blah! blah! And then I have to click yes
> to allow "pop ups" to appear on my screen from this
> particular site! But the page I want to see technically
> isn't a "pop up"!! Geez! And then, yes, like you said, there
> are other times when I get hit with all of this annoying ad
> stuff. Click here, click there. Yada, yada, yada!!
>
I find it a problem too, especially on Windows XP more than Windows 98. Legit sites that have open some info in another window get blocked while sites that allow 3rd party sites to put popups still get through. There was a program I used to use with Windows 98 called Powi, from analogx.com. The program was made for Windows 95/98, so I wouldn't expect the program to work. The program blocked popups from sites known to have popups, plus you can add sites to the program that will block windows that you specify. But there were some windows that still got through because the site programmed it to be immune to popup blockers. I liked that program better than the popup blockers that came with the Yahoo toolbar and the IE browser, even AOL.

I have the Yahoo pop up blocker, so now, instead of getting the annoying pop ups, I get annoying pop ups telling me that, "to enjoy this site properly, please unblock your pop up blocker"

I just click on the x instead of actually clicking on the ok, but this shouldn't be happening at all.<P ID="signature">______________
"If you never say NO, How much is your YES worth?"
</P>

> I have the Yahoo pop up blocker, so now, instead of getting
> the annoying pop ups, I get annoying pop ups telling me
> that, "to enjoy this site properly, please unblock your pop
> up blocker"
>
> I just click on the x instead of actually clicking on the
> ok, but this shouldn't be happening at all.
>

Yeah, it's Windows XP! It's no good! I don't like it!

>
>

It actually has been lower for me. I am using old Internet Explorer and I don't browse the internet as much as I did, but even when I do I am not having too many problems. When I had IE6 I was constantly getting hijacked.
<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

> I have the Yahoo pop up blocker, so now, instead of getting
> the annoying pop ups, I get annoying pop ups telling me
> that, "to enjoy this site properly, please unblock your pop
> up blocker"
>
> I just click on the x instead of actually clicking on the
> ok, but this shouldn't be happening at all.
>

Pop-ups and adware SUPRISINGLY seem to be most common in music lyrics sites, video game cheats, chatting boards, and freeware that isn't on Cnet. I don't download much because 1) I bought a new computer 2 months ago and 2) I have dial-up intenet because cable isn't avaliable (slow downloads).

The thing is that sites don't WANT to riddle your computer with pop-ups, it's that they need to.

Bill Gates STILL hasn't figured it out, since viruses and pop-ups still appear on Longhorn. Maybe he should have an apple for brain food.

Here's a concept...download Microsoft Antispyware, stop using IE, stop using Outlook, and actually ENJOY the internet.<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

A better idea...

> Here's a concept...download Microsoft Antispyware, stop
> using IE, stop using Outlook, and actually ENJOY the
> internet.

Or, turn off JavaScript and Active Scripting, and only enable these features for web sites which need them. Not only will this virtually eliminate the chance of you receiving any pop-ups, adware, spyware, or viruses, it will also make the Internet much faster, as your web browser won't have to wait for all the Java code and scripting to load and execute before it displays the web page.

This is especially noticeable if you're on dial-up -- instead of waiting and waiting with a blank screen while the site loads, it starts to appear almost immediately. That's really useful if you're loading a very large web site and all you need is some quick link at the top of the page -- as soon as your item of interest appears, you can just hit Escape to stop the loading and then go about your business, rather than waiting for hundreds of kB's worth of HTML, XML, Java, and scripting code to load and execute first!
<P ID="signature">______________
noiboc.jpg
</P>

> > I have the Yahoo pop up blocker, so now, instead of
> getting
> > the annoying pop ups, I get annoying pop ups telling me
> > that, "to enjoy this site properly, please unblock your
> pop
> > up blocker"
> >
> > I just click on the x instead of actually clicking on the
> > ok, but this shouldn't be happening at all.
> >
>
> Yeah, it's Windows XP! It's no good! I don't like it!
>
Thats why i use firefox and reccemend that you wont have spyware again<P ID="signature">______________
xxnate_doggxx (at) myway (dot) com
</P>

> > > I have the Yahoo pop up blocker, so now, instead of
> > getting
> > > the annoying pop ups, I get annoying pop ups telling me
> > > that, "to enjoy this site properly, please unblock your
> > pop
> > > up blocker"
> > >
> > > I just click on the x instead of actually clicking on
> the
> > > ok, but this shouldn't be happening at all.
> > >
> >
> > Yeah, it's Windows XP! It's no good! I don't like it!
> >
> Thats why i use firefox and reccemend that you wont have
> spyware again
>

You're right. I should...and I will!

>
> You're right. I should...and I will!
>
good for you.Take back the Web!
make sure you configure it right tools>options>web features so that blocking pop-ups box is checked.java and allow web sites to install software unchecked.
I block javascript through my firewall.
you have SP2 I hope?
I have XP and am not suffering these problems,you shouldn't either.

> >
> > You're right. I should...and I will!
> >
> good for you.Take back the Web!
> make sure you configure it right tools>options>web features
> so that blocking pop-ups box is checked.java and allow web
> sites to install software unchecked.
> I block javascript through my firewall.
> you have SP2 I hope?
> I have XP and am not suffering these problems,you shouldn't
> either.
>
I tried Firefox and it didn't display this site properly, and certain sites told me that the site doesn't exist, while I was able to view those same sites in IE & Netscape. Somewhere down the line, Firefox will be vulnerable to adware & viruses like Netscape is starting to experience now. Even Apple is slowly starting to experience viruses with the rise of the IPod. You can't win either way. I don't care what people tell me, Firefox didn't work for me the way I was expecting it to work, so I uninstalled it.

> This is why I use a Mac.
>
> -A
>
Don't hold your breath that you won't experience the problems Windows users experience. With the popularity of the IPod, viruses are slowly being written for Macintosh, just because of the IPod.

Just modify your cookie blocking and hosts file.

Block those ad sites that ad-aware and microsoft detect.
You'll be surprised how common the evil sites are.

When you run ad-aware or MS Giant Spybot, don't just delete the cookies, take the info and add it to the blocked cookies list, and add the domain to your hosts file with a local host ip.

Works for me...

> > This is why I use a Mac.
> >
> > -A
> >
> Don't hold your breath that you won't experience the
> problems Windows users experience. With the popularity of
> the IPod, viruses are slowly being written for Macintosh,
> just because of the IPod.
>

except that most iPods are being used with Windows machines now... Anyway, most of the things that the virus writers have been attacking rely on Active X and unsecured scripting in Windows... OS-X is built on top of BSD so it's a bit harder to write a virus for (notice I'm not saying it's impossible, 'cause anything is possible)

-A<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

>
>
I had spyware somehow get on my untouched windows box, nobody has even opened a browser on the thing in over a month (IE has no permissions so it can't be run, so firefox is the only active browser) I have also noticed popups are getting around the popup blocker on my mac in safari and firefox<P ID="signature">______________
<div align="center"><a href="http://937thewolf.tk">
wolf_logo2a.png
</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom