• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Advice on computer speakers and/or powered monitors

Mike Walker said:
I DO appreciate advice. I DO NOT appreciate tips on how I should mix, or the assertion that I should EVER substitute anyone's judgement for my own, or more specifically, anyone's priorities for my own. Screw it. I WILL BUY WHAT MAKES SENSE TO ME! If you want to recommend COMPUTER SPEAKERS (NOT studio monitors), with good bass extension and smooth midrange, then I welcome your recommendation. Those are MY PRIORITIES!

Mike,

I need to ask one question. How many addy's or mixies do you have on your shelf? 'Nuff Said.

Brian Spieker
Sonset Beach Productions - North
Fargo, ND
[email protected]

Surfdude, thanks for some REAL advice! I have visited CNet, and am probably going with either the Logitech THX 2.1 models, or the Klipsch Promedia 2.1...both of which actually meet the specs I put forth!

As for "how many addies/mixies"...I have never entered my work in a contest. I don't frankly care what radio people think of my work, other than my clients. I don't need the approval of others to validate my own worth. I'll put MY ADS against anyone's, because I DO take pride in my work. But and "addy" would be something to lose...because, being the cluttered type, it wouldn't fit on my desk. Neither would monitor speakers.

Take pride in your accomplishments, as I do in mine. Not the least of mine is holding on to work in this business while battling retinitis pigmentosa (I'm legally blind, and haven't been able to drive in 19 years), and diabetes. That's why I work from home. At a cluttered desk. Go on funny man, tell me how many awards I should have...because of course it's a level playing field. Tell yourself that, when you get in your car and drive where the hell you want to go! The last time I did that, George H.W. Bush was president. MY "award" is the fact that, no matter what curves life has thrown my way, I have continued to work in the business I love continuously for 35 years. One day I may lose my grip, but that day hasn't come. I work in a small home studio, in Wilkes County NC, directly across from a cow pasture. In fact I have more cows than people for neighbors. But every week I'm ON THE RADIO, and by the grace of God every day clients seek out my work. THAT is my award!

Mike Walker said:
Surfdude, thanks for some REAL advice! I have visited CNet, and am probably going with either the Logitech THX 2.1 models, or the Klipsch Promedia 2.1...both of which actually meet the specs I put forth!

As for "how many addies/mixies"...I have never entered my work in a contest. I don't frankly care what radio people think of my work, other than my clients. I don't need the approval of others to validate my own worth. I'll put MY ADS against anyone's, because I DO take pride in my work. But and "addy" would be something to lose...because, being the cluttered type, it wouldn't fit on my desk. Neither would monitor speakers.

Take pride in your accomplishments, as I do in mine. Not the least of mine is holding on to work in this business while battling retinitis pigmentosa (I'm legally blind, and haven't been able to drive in 19 years), and diabetes. That's why I work from home. At a cluttered desk. Go on funny man, tell me how many awards I should have...because of course it's a level playing field. Tell yourself that, when you get in your car and drive where the hell you want to go! The last time I did that, George H.W. Bush was president. MY "award" is the fact that, no matter what curves life has thrown my way, I have continued to work in the business I love continuously for 35 years. One day I may lose my grip, but that day hasn't come. I work in a small home studio, in Wilkes County NC, directly across from a cow pasture. In fact I have more cows than people for neighbors. But every week I'm ON THE RADIO, and by the grace of God every day clients seek out my work. THAT is my award!

Mike,
My home studio fits in a 9ft by 8 ft room I'm not so concerned either about awards, but I have received them.
Every audio engineer has said to me at just about every station I have been to or prod house I have worked in...
"If you can't hear the product clearly, clients will not buy it. If they do they must be only selling half of a product as you are.

Not that I have a hearing issue but it's like HDTV if you can't see all of the picture you are not selling the whole product.

I know the business down in Dallas that the guy posted from. They do have tons of credibility in the production
arena and could save you a good amount of cash... That's if you want to do it right the first time.

Good Luck.

The Beave, "doing it right the first time" is high on my list of priorities, and I thank you for your input. Congratulations on your awards, and your success. My desktop speakers aren't my reference, and that's not what I'm looking for. My Energy C-3s are how I judge the final mix to make sure everything translates to speakers, as I prefer, and always have, to mix on headphones. I just hear better all the elements of a mix on cans, and use speakers just to check that you can still hear what I had in mind on 'em.

When I get voice work back from the people who do work for me, I'll do thinks like removing breaths, editing out mouth clicks, and re-sequencing the placing and lengths of pauses on speakers. Then if there's editing to be done to the music and effects, I'll do that on speakers. But when it's time to put everything together, and add the "special sauce", I put on the cans. It's just the way I work. Now for my oldies show, I like to crank the speakers so I get more of that "on the air feeling", even though it's all done piecemeal. I apologize for any negative tone. It's been a rough week. I'm just recovering from bronchitis, and had another very painful medical conditon going on, so my mood isn't the best. For that I apologize. And I thank one and all for their input.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom