• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ads play, but station doesn't

So frustrating trying to listen to terrestrial stations over the internet - the ADS always play with video, but no live station feed at all. Clear Channel, Cumulus, Hearst..

Of course it's probably 'cause i'm on a Mac. The larger market stations usually DO work.

Specifically, was trying to listen to WMRR in Muskegon, Michigan's live feed.

Coming in fine on my PC although their AQ isn't the best I've ever heard - very overmodded. I suspect it's your Mac having the problem.

Some stations have to cover up the ad on the webb while it plays over the air beacuse of union contracts. If the commercials was done with an AFTRA union announcer you can't run them on the webb and there's no way to know what announcers are what when an agency sends the commercial in

It's a double standard: before i can enjoy my selected content (video or audio) - I have to wait for an advertisement. The advertisement plays flawlessly, but the content does not. Perhaps I don't have the latest Flash player, or my Mac doesn't like the format.. why then isn't the advertisment encoded in the same format? Seems strange the ad seems to never fail, but the same standard doesn't apply to what i went there for.

There are some firewall issues involved also. If you are listening at home, these do not apply. If you are trying to get the stream from anywhere there is a Barracuda firewall system in place, their spam blocking technology will allow the gateway ad to play but not the streaming. It is caused by some incidental website addresses that are accessed by the player in between the gateway ad and the stream that are getting blocked by the Barracuda firewall.

I know I've had trouble with the Flash players CBS and Clear Channel use on my Linux box. Since Linux is similar to a Mac, you may be experiencing a similar issue. I can usually stream a few songs on AOL Radio or Yahoo! Launchcast only to have the stream suddenly die. The player usually just goes completely blank, but the Window is still up. I've actually not encountered a problem with the live CBS radio stations on the same player, and the Yahoo! player seems to work better than the AOL player despite them being essentially the same. I can't isolate the problem, and the best information I can find is that the Flash player install just isn't the same on a Linux box as it is on a PC. In other words, as far as I can tell, it's probably just a compatibility issue that's not likely to go away.

When it comes to Cumulus, the reason you're having trouble may have to do with them using Silverlight. Last I heard (and, in the interest of full disclosure, it has been awhile), there was no version of Silverlight that would work on a Mac. You can, however, get a basic player that will work around this. With a little digging around Cumulus sites, you should be able to find it. On my newer Linux box, Silverlight (or Moonlight as it's called in the Linux world) worked just fine until I updated the Kernel a few months ago. Ironically, my old Linux box had the opposite problem. I had what I have now until I installed the Real Player, which had the additional codecs, through Helix, that I needed to play Silverlight streams. That, unfortunately, didn't help on my newer Linux box. So, I usually just stream those stations through the command line. I figure I can type, or copy/paste, the link directly since you have to be a dweeb to be using Linux anyway!

Something you might be able to do, at least with terrestrial stations, is to check out TheStreamCentre.com. It has a good list, that's usually updated quickly, of streaming links.

There is an issue with Silverlight players and streaming audio from some of the streaming providers. Not sure what it is. One software company tried to talk with Microsoft about the problem. It is easier to get information out of the CIA.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom